What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

And people say that Thunder is not so maneuverable
Fl9-IexaAAAGehj

Many can - the Python 5 and ASRAAM can actually see the outline of the aircraft so they are near unbeatable. I am not sure about the PL-10z
Could NBVR be the next-gen WVR solution?

Basically, the idea is that you'd have a missile that's flexible enough in range, maneuvering, and targeting (i.e., using two of IIR, ARH, and EO) for use at any practically useful range.

Granted, it's not the "longest stick," but it's can be more useful at long-range than a pure HOBS AAM, but equally effective as a HOBS AAM in WVR.

The vision could be that you fit the fighter with the 'LR-AAM' (e.g., ramjet-powered) for maximum reach, supplemented 'NBVR AAM' for various range thresholds under the initial umbrella. The NBVR won't cost you the range for the HOBS benefits.

Could NBVR be the next-gen WVR solution?

Basically, the idea is that you'd have a missile that's flexible enough in range, maneuvering, and targeting (i.e., using two of IIR, ARH, and EO) for use at any practically useful range.

Granted, it's not the "longest stick," but it's can be more useful at long-range than a pure HOBS AAM, but equally effective as a HOBS AAM in WVR.

The vision could be that you fit the fighter with the 'LR-AAM' (e.g., ramjet-powered) for maximum reach, supplemented 'NBVR AAM' for various range thresholds under the initial umbrella. The NBVR won't cost you the range for the HOBS benefits.
Sir, isn't MICA-IR in that class? With a range over 60km, TVC and a wide FOV ImIR seeker. BTW, Mirage pilots in PAF used to love the older Magic missile. Some even preferred it over the Sidewinder, for its accuracy and hit probability.

Back
Top Bottom