What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

On a lighter note.
FB_IMG_1621791511957.jpg

Does the PAF have ALQ-500P in service? How does it compare to KL-700A that is currently in service.

Some answers in this thread also:

We've had a lot of speculations on PL-15 to make its way onto the JF-17 but improved variants of the PL-12 are overlooked. PAF had 200 SD-10s on order and they do have a limited flight life, since JF-17 used alot they could have gone through updates to B. Does anyone have any news. Not much news on the internet on specs or service in China. Baseline PL-12 entered service 2007 so not unlikely that it has been evolving as14yrs have passed.

PL-12A/SD-10A standard variant.
PL-12B/SD-10B improved NEZ, better data link and more resistant to jamming. Read someplace 2 years back this had become a production variant.
PL-12C Folding wing variant for use on J-20
PL-12D Ramjet variant.

Modern warfare technology is rapidly changing, its extremely expensive to keep up with all the advancements. USA is leading in latest technologies and maintaining the biggest military might. In 2020 alone USA spent 778 Billion USD on defence. China 252 Billion USD & India 72.9 Billion USD. Pakistan on the other hand only spends about 10 Billion USD despite Indian propaganda that Pak military spends too much.
(https://www.statista.com/statistics/262742/countries-with-the-highest-military-spending/)

USA spending is a preposterous amount! Which makes no sense whatsoever! F22 & F35 maybe impressive but they don't seem that impressive once you consider the humungous amount they are spending to achieve these aircrafts! They are able to operate an insane fleet of 13000+ aircrafts in their air force! In comparison China only has about 3,260 & Russia 4,143.

(https://www.statista.com/chart/2443...rmy,International in cooperation with Embraer.)

USA is able to afford this by not earning this money but by simply using force to maintain US Dollar as the most powerful currency in the world. As long as USD remain global trade currency, no one can come close to US defence spending and all they need to do is print more dollars. For most countries they have to earn dollars to trade and to buy weapons. If they print lots of new currency notes, they have to deal with inflation. But for USA you can print money and pretty much influence/ coerce/ muscle your way out of it without any trouble. For anyone who wants to study more about this, consider reading the book "Confessions of an economic hitman" you can find it for free online too I'm sure. Its audio book is also available on YouTube.

JF 17 Thunder is hence very important for Pakistan. We are late in our indigenisation program. We should have been done with JF about 5 years ago and should have been testing prototypes of our 5th gen fighter by now. I consider JF to still be a great and important success. The less Pakistan is dependent on any foreign country for its defence need, the better it is for our sovereignty, foreign policy and strategic interests. Pakistan, Turkey, Malaysia and China should join R&D and budgets to produce their future 5th and 6th Gen fighters. The more technically advanced and sound our jets, the cheaper they cost and the better economies of scale that we achieve the better it would be for Pakistan. We will solve our defence problems and keep our budges low.

What India did with Rafale jet is what exactly is a wrong approach. It gives foreign powers more of your precious money so that they can continue to accelerate their weapon programs and keep selling you weapons, keep controlling your country.

Hi guys,

Found some real information about the RD93 engine from manufacturer's own website. UEC Klimov is the manufacturer of the RD33 engine. The website is in Russian language but can be translated to English using google. There is a PDF available under "product catalogue category" which seems to mention engine's overhaul time and appointed service life, which isn't looking very fancy (original catalogue attached). I have also found another Russian website that states similar numbers for RD93's service life. I have taken the pain to translate the PDF catalogue for those who it might interest.
I have also found in my research that we have got these engines cheaper than other options. In 1989 we bought 60 Pratt & Whitney's F100s for our F16s for 220 Million USD i.e. 3.66 Million USD per unit in 1989
(1). Contrary to this 16 years later in 2005 China did contract with Russia to obtain 100 RD93 engines for fitting in JFs for 267 Million Dollars (2) i.e. 2.67 Million Dollars per unit. Today even if we were able to buy Pratt & Whitney I am sure it would cost double that.

Please add to the discussion. Share & correct if you have more and better information. Correct translation issues if possible. And only share from reliable sources please.

Cheers!

(P.S. don't share me links of wikipedia where its life is stated as 2200 hrs. I have seen those. This information is closet to the source. Wikipedia is not a genuine source of any information. Anyone can edit.
Before 1st repair seems to be 1st overhaul time, appointed seems to mean assigned service life? - some words do not get suitably translated.)

1. https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1989-10-07-8902030028-story.html

2.https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/china/ws13.htm#:~:text=In%202005%20China%20signed%20a,were%20to%20begin%20in%202006.

Turbojet RD33-1.jpg
Turbojet RD33-2.jpg
Turbojet RD33-3.jpg
Turbojet RD33-4.jpg

Attachments

• klimov_katalog.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Modern warfare technology is rapidly changing, its extremely expensive to keep up with all the advancements. USA is leading in latest technologies and maintaining the biggest military might. In 2020 alone USA spent 778 Billion USD on defence. China 252 Billion USD & India 72.9 Billion USD. Pakistan on the other hand only spends about 10 Billion USD despite Indian propaganda that Pak military spends too much.
(https://www.statista.com/statistics/262742/countries-with-the-highest-military-spending/)

USA spending is a preposterous amount! Which makes no sense whatsoever! F22 & F35 maybe impressive but they don't seem that impressive once you consider the humungous amount they are spending to achieve these aircrafts! They are able to operate an insane fleet of 13000+ aircrafts in their air force! In comparison China only has about 3,260 & Russia 4,143.

(https://www.statista.com/chart/24431/active-number-of-military-aircraft-by-country/#:~:text=The U.S. Air Force, Army,International in cooperation with Embraer.)

USA is able to afford this by not earning this money but by simply using force to maintain US Dollar as the most powerful currency in the world. As long as USD remain global trade currency, no one can come close to US defence spending and all they need to do is print more dollars. For most countries they have to earn dollars to trade and to buy weapons. If they print lots of new currency notes, they have to deal with inflation. But for USA you can print money and pretty much influence/ coerce/ muscle your way out of it without any trouble. For anyone who wants to study more about this, consider reading the book "Confessions of an economic hitman" you can find it for free online too I'm sure. Its audio book is also available on YouTube.

JF 17 Thunder is hence very important for Pakistan. We are late in our indigenisation program. We should have been done with JF about 5 years ago and should have been testing prototypes of our 5th gen fighter by now. I consider JF to still be a great and important success. The less Pakistan is dependent on any foreign country for its defence need, the better it is for our sovereignty, foreign policy and strategic interests. Pakistan, Turkey, Malaysia and China should join R&D and budgets to produce their future 5th and 6th Gen fighters. The more technically advanced and sound our jets, the cheaper they cost and the better economies of scale that we achieve the better it would be for Pakistan. We will solve our defence problems and keep our budges low.

What India did with Rafale jet is what exactly is a wrong approach. It gives foreign powers more of your precious money so that they can continue to accelerate their weapon programs and keep selling you weapons, keep controlling your country.

As long as u.s does not f@ck with china other than providing occasional lip service, usd will remain strong for the foreseeable future. As things stand today China has steadily accumulated u.s Treasury securities over the last few decades. As of January 2021, it owns $1.095 trillion of u s t bills.
China has approximately $3 trillion in foreign exchange reserves as of June 2020. This in addition to the t.bills above.

It cost around 30000 usd /he to operate a single flight hour of a f 35.
B 2 costs $135,000/hr to operate.
F 22 more than 35000 usd/hr
And the list goes on.....u.s is in a bind with these over engineered a.c as even it is finding it difficult to operate them, hence looking for a cheaper option

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom