What's new

Jeremy Clarkson in row over Top Gear India special

Jeremy Clarkson accused of racism over India jibes on Top Gear Christmas special
By Mirror.co.uk 30/12/2011

Top Gear: India Special

Jeremy Clarkson has found himself at the centre of an alleged racism row after appearing to mock Indian culture during the Top Gear Christmas special.

The outspoken TV presenter mouthed off about the country’s food, clothing, toilets, trains and history in a series of ‘Carry On’ style jibes.

The 51-year-old host prompted a flood of complaints as he was shown stripping his trousers off and claiming he used a trouser press to heat naan bread.

He then mocked the country’s sanitary conditions by driving around slums in a Jaguar fitted with a toilet, joking: “This is perfect for India because everyone who comes here gets the trots.”

A BBC spokeswoman confirmed that they have already received eight complaints accusing the show of racism.

She reportedly said: “If viewers or religious groups want to complain, they can complain to the BBC. We won’t be responding through the media.”

The racism row set Twitter on fire as furious viewers branded Clarkson a “Nazi” and condemned the show’s “casual racism”.

One viewer posted: “Just watched top gear India Special. A new low for the bbc.

“Sickeningly base. Borderline racist stereotyping. And just not very good.”

Another added: “Whats wrong with the BBC that they think casual racist stereotyping is acceptable on top gear?”
l

The BBC has also been slammed after it aired the programme on Wednesday, just two days after the murder of Indian student Anuj Bidve in Salford.

Raj Dhutta, of Manchester Indian Association, reportedly said: “The Manchester community is in shock at the murder of Anuj, and this was tasteless timing.

“The show itself was also tasteless. These are perceptions that shouldn’t be picked up anywhere.”

The Top Gear presenters also found themselves in trouble with stunts on board Indian trains.

Clarkson and co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May attached banners to the trains which read “British IT is good for your company” and “Eat English muffins”.

However when the carriages split, the banners ripped to reveal rude messages.

Earlier this year Top Gear was embroiled in another racism row when Richard Hammond, 42, branded Mexicans “lazy”, “feckless” and “flatulent” when comparing the country to a Mexican sports car.

Read more: Jeremy Clarkson accused of racism over India jibes on Top Gear Christmas special - mirror.co.uk

India is of course important - hence he should have engaged his brain before talking cr*p.

I think officials and politicians from both India & UK have better things to do than go haywire over a some stupid remarks from a nutjob television presenter.

I think officials and politicians from both India & UK have better things to do than go haywire over a some stupid remarks from a nutjob television presenter.

Yea but the problem is that these type of stereotyping can encourage other to do worse. so we have to be a bit careful. We know he's just having a bit of fun but other racist piggots take it further

Did India just get Top Gear????

I would expect nothing less from Clarkson et al.

Grow some thicker skin.

He does it with every country he goes to i remember when he said france would be a great country if it had no french people

The two can't be compared one was murder and the other was Clarkson being himself

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Think about what he said about Germany there is not a show that goes by without some mention of Nazi's, WW2 etc :lol:

Yaar its a slippery slope. I'm not suggesting that Clarkson is a bad person but he does have a big mouth and an ability to laugh and make fun of those less fortunate. This in turn encourages others idiots to go a little further and treat others as if they are less than human etc

Offensive? In parts but not wholly. If you watch his show/ are familiar with the show you know this kind of sensational, immature and generalisation comedy are his/the show's style, nothing new.

I'd say on reflection he actually had far more positive things to say about India than negative things. He described much of India as "genuinely beautiful", much of the scenery "stays with you for life" and that he loved Mumbai, the energy- everyone was busy making money doing business.

Yaar its a slippery slope. I'm not suggesting that Clarkson is a bad person but he does have a big mouth and an ability to laugh and make fun of those less fortunate. This in turn encourages others idiots to go a little further and treat others as if they are less than human etc

You know what before I even watched the show I was expecting toilet humour and I just knew him being him it would happen, this is not the first time he has landed himself in it but to be honest I think Top gear has gone downhill its not even funny some of it was just cringing to watch.

The Gandhi jokes were a bit far and what about the garden party bit that was not even funny, the Indians were looking at them like they were a bunch of spastics and is this the example we wish to show India how the English are?

You know what before I even watched the show I was expecting toilet humour and I just knew him being him it would happen, this is not the first time he has landed himself in it but to be honest I think Top gear has gone downhill its not even funny some of it was just cringing to watch.

The Gandhi jokes were a bit far and what about the garden party bit that was not even funny, the Indians were looking at them like they were a bunch of spastics and is this the example we wish to show India how the English are?

Yaar I agree with you. There was a time when I used to pick up his books at airports as light reading but in the search fro gags I think sometimes these guys go a bit too far

From Clarkson's perspective, UK is the pinnacle of technology in the world.

Actually of late he has been more realistic and willing to accept the UK's insignificance in the world stage these days. He is aware of the current situation and how far UK has fallen. However he does present these ideas in a very comical/blasé manner.

Yaar I agree with you. There was a time when I used to pick up his books at airports as light reading but in the search fro gags I think sometimes these guys go a bit too far

It used to be about cars and motoring but somewhere it became more of a 'entertainment' program the beef jokes were a bit far fetched like promoting beef curry in Delhi really? I know what would be fun to see try those antics in Iran:D

Back
Top Bottom