What's new

JDAM Replaces Mavericks

The JDAM is dependent on GPS for positioning and targets so it cannot give the same accuracy with just INS.

Not sure if the tail kit supplied to Pakistan has the ability to engage moving targets but those are dependant upon the Sniper providing updates to the JDAM.

The AGM-65Bs we have are nearly at the end of their safe use shelf life and there have been multiple incidents with failed launched and sometimes unsafe behavior after launch- in one case a missile nearly hit the aircraft after launch and then proceeded towards a perpendicular trajectory.
It should be noted that China has quite a few counterparts on offer to the Maverick (YJ-9E) and Small Diameter Bomb (YL-14). In fact, the YJ-9E can be tipped with an active radar-homing seeker, making it similar (not exactly analogous) to the MBDA Brimstone.

IMO: once the Block-III is inducted in full numbers, the PAF might look to use the Block-I/II the way India will use the Jaguar - i.e. CAS and anti-armour.

You have PAF Bholari at the heart of the desert ops environment, while the JF-17 gives you a cheap(er) platform to operate in numbers (along with high sortie-rate via lots of pilots).

Throw in the GB6 (ideally with guided bomblets) for area-wide strikes, and that's a relatively good high-alt capability to couple with the attack helicopters at low-alt.

It should be noted that China has quite a few counterparts on offer to the Maverick (YJ-9E) and Small Diameter Bomb (YL-14). In fact, the YJ-9E can be tipped with an active radar-homing seeker, making it similar (not exactly analogous) to the MBDA Brimstone.

IMO: once the Block-III is inducted in full numbers, the PAF might look to use the Block-I/II the way India will use the Jaguar - i.e. CAS and anti-armour.

You have PAF Bholari at the heart of the desert ops environment, while the JF-17 gives you a cheap(er) platform to operate in numbers (along with high sortie-rate via lots of pilots).

Throw in the GB6 (ideally with guided bomblets) for area-wide strikes, and that's a relatively good high-alt capability to couple with the attack helicopters at low-alt.

I hope Pakistan license builds the YL-14 in Pakistan with a GRU-mode seeker as on the SDB II but for a lot lower cost then the SDB II’s $120,000 price tag. If they could get it for a third or a quarter that price but match its performances of nearly 100 km against static targets and nearly 50 km against moving targets, it could really help JF-17 sales and create a small enough weapon (250 kg) that can still pack a major punch. Each JF-17 could probably carry a dozen and create a serious threat against enemy A2AD capabilities.

An old image of PAF Viper armed with AGM-65 Maverick Missiles.

1638273693337.png

In future you would even need your own national space station at moon surface to mine it.

Young man leave something for Nora and Zardari kids to do and am sure we can hire them for the moon mining and they will be good miners. 😁

I remember seeing them used in a fire power demo video from late 80s with Mr10% as the VIP guest.
Fire Power Demo 89 @ Sonmiani.
Technically Benazir was Chief Guest as Prime Minister of Pakistan. Mr 10% accompanied her.

Fire Power Demo 89 @ Sonmiani.
Technically Benazir was Chief Guest as Prime Minister of Pakistan. Mr 10% accompanied her.
Somniani sa yad aya , its closed for civilians these days.

Back
Top Bottom