What's new

JDAM Replaces Mavericks

I dont know what PAF is doing, but Maverick is being replaced by Brimestone or SDB-IIs which are true replacement of Maverick Which is essentially a weapon system to take out moving targets.
Joint Direct Attack Munitions
(JDAM)

GBU-31: A Mk 84 bomb fitted with JDAM kit
Type Fixed target, precision strike, moving vehicle

You don't need to cover the whole world. Only 1500 km radius along borders will do, means a regional navigation system just like India have. We can not bear the initial and mentanance cost of a system like GPS.
I'm thinking forward. A satellite navigation is not for JDAMs only. But it requires money and time and that is why I said gradually. Believe me in future we will need our own satellite based navigation system.

Turkey has developed 'ALDEBARAN' which uses GPS, GLONASS and SBAS (ground based navigational towers). 'ALDEBARAN' is also software defined, allowing it to be programmed to other Nagitional systems such as BEIDOU or Galileo as well. So even if you don't have your own SATNAV systems, it can use multiple points of reference to update from.

http://www.roketsan.com.tr/en/urunl...isler/aldebaran-milli-gps-ve-glonass-alicisi/
Yeah that seems like a good interim solution. We can use Beidou and also if we develop a strategic partnership with Russia, then we can also benefit from GLONASS ...What I'm referring are the military frequencies from these systems.

The JDAM is dependent on GPS for positioning and targets so it cannot give the same accuracy with just INS.

Not sure if the tail kit supplied to Pakistan has the ability to engage moving targets but those are dependant upon the Sniper providing updates to the JDAM.

The AGM-65Bs we have are nearly at the end of their safe use shelf life and there have been multiple incidents with failed launched and sometimes unsafe behavior after launch- in one case a missile nearly hit the aircraft after launch and then proceeded towards a perpendicular trajectory.

One reason could be economics as Maverick should be more expensive but the role PAF is playing calls for precision bombing where JDAM type weapons are more suited.

We have Armed drones and Gunships firing AG missiles to take out targets for which Maverick was once suited.

I'm thinking forward. A satellite navigation is not for JDAMs only. But it requires money and time and that is why I said gradually. Believe me in future we will need our own satellite based navigation system.

In future you would even need your own national space station at moon surface to mine it.

BUT I LIKE MAVERICK MORE
full

Dnt know much about it. I mean what it is?

Its the ultimate badass!
PiT5vUR.gif

The JDAM is dependent on GPS for positioning and targets so it cannot give the same accuracy with just INS.

Not sure if the tail kit supplied to Pakistan has the ability to engage moving targets but those are dependant upon the Sniper providing updates to the JDAM.

The AGM-65Bs we have are nearly at the end of their safe use shelf life and there have been multiple incidents with failed launched and sometimes unsafe behavior after launch- in one case a missile nearly hit the aircraft after launch and then proceeded towards a perpendicular trajectory.

Experience during Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom led US air power planners to seek additional capabilities in one package, resulting in ongoing program upgrades to place a precision terminal guidance seeker in the JDAM kit.[14] The Laser JDAM (LJDAM), as this upgrade is known, adds a laser seeker to the nose of a JDAM-equipped bomb, giving the ability to engage moving targets to the JDAM. The Laser Seeker is a cooperative development between Boeing's Defense, Space and Security unit and Israel's Elbit Systems.[15] It is called Precision Laser Guidance Set (PLGS) by Boeing and consists of the Laser Seeker itself, now known as DSU-38/B, and a wire harness fixed under the bomb body to connect the DSU-38/B with the tail kit. During FY2004, Boeing and the U.S. Air Force began testing of the laser guidance capability for JDAM, with these tests demonstrating that the system is capable of targeting and destroying moving targets.[16] This dual guidance system retains the ability to operate on GPS/INS alone, if laser guidance is unavailable, with the same accuracy of the earlier JDAM.

Its the ultimate badass!
PiT5vUR.gif

Experience during Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom led US air power planners to seek additional capabilities in one package, resulting in ongoing program upgrades to place a precision terminal guidance seeker in the JDAM kit.[14] The Laser JDAM (LJDAM), as this upgrade is known, adds a laser seeker to the nose of a JDAM-equipped bomb, giving the ability to engage moving targets to the JDAM. The Laser Seeker is a cooperative development between Boeing's Defense, Space and Security unit and Israel's Elbit Systems.[15] It is called Precision Laser Guidance Set (PLGS) by Boeing and consists of the Laser Seeker itself, now known as DSU-38/B, and a wire harness fixed under the bomb body to connect the DSU-38/B with the tail kit. During FY2004, Boeing and the U.S. Air Force began testing of the laser guidance capability for JDAM, with these tests demonstrating that the system is capable of targeting and destroying moving targets.[16] This dual guidance system retains the ability to operate on GPS/INS alone, if laser guidance is unavailable, with the same accuracy of the earlier JDAM.
Not relevant to Pakistan.

Nothing related to F16 excites much these days

May be if it was a Local Production F16 or F18 deal it would be intersting news

Last edited:
Slow moving vehicle (caveat).

Slow moving vehicle is not going to outrun a bomb. And considering most military vehicles tend to be slow like tanks. Wouldn't worry about them going faster than a motorcycle.

Slow moving vehicle is not going to outrun a bomb. And considering most military vehicles tend to be slow like tanks. Wouldn't worry about them going faster than a motorcycle.
Another caveat, that in the video isn't your vanilla bog standard GPS only JDAM but has additional semi active laser homing allowing it to attack moving targets. Expect a regular JDAM to do that, umm no!

Nothing related to F16 excites much these days

May be if it was a Local Production F16 or F18 deal it would be intersting news
I guess that is because it is American made. Have a ride in it or get a chance to work on it trust me you'll think differently....

Back
Top Bottom