What's new

Japan’s national-security strategy : Island defence

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Reference: The Economist

IT IS certainly timely. Japan’s cabinet this week approved the country’s first-ever national-security strategy. This comes just weeks after China declared a new air-defence information zone (ADIZ) in the East China Sea, covering the disputed islands that Japan calls the Senkakus and China the Diaoyus. This has heightened already acute tensions over the islands, and the new strategy amounts to a distinct hardening of Japan’s defence posture.

The strategy argues that Japan needs to make a more “proactive contribution to peace”—ie, to contribute more to its military alliance with America, despite its pacifist constitution. It refers not just in general to “complex and grave national-security challenges”, but specifically to China’s “attempts to change the status quo by coercion”, and to the need to be able to “recapture and secure without delay” remote islands that have been invaded. America condemned China’s announcement of the ADIZ. But it did not publicly call for the zone to be rescinded. This played on fears in Japan that America might not honour its assurances that the security guarantee covers the tiny, uninhabited Senkakus.

The strategy amounts to a plan for a five-year military build-up. Spending will increase to ¥24.7 trillion ($240 billion), an increase of about 5% over the previous five-year plan. The number of personnel in the Self Defence Forces (SDF), as the army is known, will remain the same. The new money will buy hardware.

The new kit is intended to strengthen Japan’s control of the sea and air around the disputed territory: seven more destroyers (making 54 in all), for example, and six more submarines (making 22). A second unit of 20 F-15 fighter jets will be deployed on Okinawa, near the islets, along with early-warning aircraft, and the SDF will add unmanned drones to its air force. And Japan will for the first time form its own version of America’s Marine Corps.

The document, which Japan’s prime minister, Shinzo Abe, calls “historic”, promises that Japan will respond “calmly and resolutely to the rapid expansion and step-up of China’s maritime and air activities”. It also fingers North Korea as a “grave and imminent threat”. It calls for the cultivation of “love of country” in Japan, and for “expanding security education” in universities. Controversially, it also promises to review Japan’s self-imposed ban on arms exports, blamed for keeping costs high by obliging the local defence industry to produce in relatively small quantities.

One important omission, however, showed restraint. Many politicians from Mr Abe’s Liberal Democratic Party have been advocating a “first-strike” capability against missile bases, to prevent a possible North Korean attack. Japan will not yet take this step, which would alarm Japan’s neighbours—notably China and South Korea—more than anything else in the strategy. But though this looks like a five-year plan, it is subject to redefinition each year. The idea of building a first-strike-capable force is still on the table for 2014, according to a government official.

When the strategy was first published, China’s foreign ministry accused it of “hyping the China threat”. It was further incensed by remarks made by Mr Abe at a summit in Tokyo with leaders from South-East Asia on December 13th-14th. He suggested that his guests, four of whose countries have territorial disputes with China in the South China Sea, should consider the ADIZ a matter of concern for the entire region. China’s foreign ministry accused Japan of “malicious slander”. Especially galling was that the South-East Asians probably thought Mr Abe was right.

1200x.jpg

There is a big sea between China and Japan. That is why population doesn't matter. Only holding strategic spots do. Having strategic relations. Strong economy and technology and hardware. I don't think conventional war will brake out. It will be more cold war style to get China on its knee economically and military will be disbanded when there is no money anyway. If you look historically, when this happened, China always got torn apart by neighbors.

There is a big sea between China and Japan. That is why population doesn't matter. Only holding strategic spots do. Having strategic relations. Strong economy and technology and hardware. I don't think conventional war will brake out. It will be more cold war style to get China on its knee economically and military will be disbanded when there is no money anyway. If you look historically, when this happened, China always got torn apart by neighbors.
Most-famous-lol-face.jpg

Though I am skeptical of japan remilitarization, I have to admit Abe is a brilliant strategist using the US Asia Pivot as a front
to regain Japan real independence leaving US no choice but to support

Though I am skeptical of japan remilitarization, I have to admit Abe is a brilliant strategist using the US Asia Pivot as a front
Well i like read history, how many Korea-Japan Wars happened in East-Asia history ?
Island defence, just hope not including korean peninsula. There'r 200million Japanese and 4x little islands for living, buddy.:coffee:

Island Defence is one tough thing to implement.especially when neighbour has large navy.in this kind of amphibious warfare,number is a big factor.I remember battle of Iwo Jima and Okinawa,how USA put their navy around it,putting defenders in a tough position in both tactically as well as their supply gets low.then they moved in.in this age,the same kind of tactics willn't be applied,but even then,Island defenders in Amphibious Warfare always faces similar problems.

This is understandable , but a resurgent Japan will be capable of addressing any national security issues if it arises in North East Asia , and Asia-Pacific as a whole.

Well i like read history, how many Korea-Japan Wars happened in East-Asia history ?
Island defence, just hope not including korean peninsula. There'r 200million Japanese and 4x little islands for living, buddy.:coffee:

That was the past. We are living in the current epoch my friend @cnleio .

Welcome Japan’s “Destabilizing” Island Radar Station:

Despite all the handwringing over Japan’s overly-bellicose-for-Western-tastes speechmaking, everyone rational should all welcome Japan’s public announcement that the southernmost tip of the Ryukyu/Nansei island chain, Yonaguni Island, will–in a few years–be home to a 150-soldier surveillance base.
Frankly, this sort of facility is long overdue

Surveillance adds stability to the region.

We all know China likes to operate unobserved, and prefers to present the world with their latest “newly-seized reef” or “destabilized border” as a fait accompli. Good ISR helps keep China honest, and will help stabilize the disputed Senkaku Island zone.

So, of course China is going to hate any step to inject additional ISR resources into the region. (And, for that matter, so will a few island locals–who earned their keep in the smuggling trade)

But if you read, oh, RT, Al Jazzera and the Guardian, you’d be excused if you thought China was now obligated to start operations to liberate Yonaguni Island–to heck with territorial integrity! After all, the island is, as RT.Com
helpfully tells us, “far closer to China and Taiwan than it is to Japan’s major isles.”

Here are some of their hand-wringing reviews:

RT: “Tokyo is likely to provoke wrath from Beijing after starting work on a new radar station close to the disputed Senkaku, or Diaoyu Islands…”

Al Jazzera: ” Local anger and Japan Island surveillance unit: Residents scuffle with officials as Tokyo begins construction of coastal monitoring unit near islands claimed by China.”

The Guardian: “Japan risks angering China with military expansion:….:The Japanese defence minister, Itsunori Onodera: “This is the first deployment since the US returned Okinawa in 1972 and calls for us to be more on guard are growing”

To help see though the hype (and Onodera’s rhetoric), consider Yonaguni Island Japan’s equivalent to Key West, Florida. Just as Key West is 90-100 miles from that dangerous hive of cigar-makers–Havana, Cuba–Yonaguni is 90-100 miles from the contested Senkaku Islands–and Taiwan.

So…what can one glean from that rather forced analogy? Well, to put it into an American frame of reference, Japan has essentially announced that, despite being in the midst of a Cuban Missile Crisis-like situation, the Japanese Self Defense Forces will, in a few years, put a radar in their Key West.

Now, that’s not exactly a Kennedy-esque response, is it? Even President Carter–in his peaceful, present-day dotage–would probably chose to move faster than Japan.

When roles were reversed, and the US faced a threat 90 miles from our south-easternmost point, Key West almost sank under the weight of all the military gear placed there.
Even today, with few viable hazards beyond the occasional Russian intel-gathering tug, Key West is still host to an enormous array of military facilities–
Joint Interagency Task Force South (a funky anti-smuggling, anti-crime, anti-Cuba spook house), Coast Guard Sector Key West, U.S. Army Special Forces Underwater Operations School, and Naval Air Station Key West (Boca Chica!). Add in a surveillance Aerostat mooring-point, Truman Harbor, and sufficient extra berthing-space for a CVN (if the Cruise Ships can moor there, then, why not a CVN in a pinch?) and a few other interesting odds and ends, Key West remains an awfully militarized corner of the nation.

So, while Yonaguni may not be able to be host to all those things, it certainly has–if Japan wishes–the potential to become something of an armed camp. To Japan’s credit, they have resisted adding military forces to the place for far longer then they probably should have (despite being a known smuggling conduit, the place currently only hosts two (count ‘em) policemen). Yonaguni deserves more than two patrolmen, and the southern Ryukyus/Nanseis certainly merit more than just a radar station and a southward redeployment of E-2C
surveillance planes to Okinawa.

Sigh. Aside from the unfortunate “deployment” chest-thumping from Onodera (which, in my assessment, isn’t exactly true. Japanese SDF personnel took over Marcus Island’s LORAN-C navigation station in 1993, and the SDF opened few new domestic bases in various spots over the last few years.), a radar station was a long-expected.

The real question was when Japan would get around to it. Despite talking about Ryukyus vulnerability for YEARS (I add a screen grab from one of Japan’s excellent Defense White Papers-2012–for review), Japan has really dragged it’s feet over injecting some military resources onto Yonaguni and the lower Ryukyus, and THAT, in my assessment, has done far more to destabilize things than overt militarization would have.

With China, good, well-tended fences make good neighbors. Un-attended ones…well, talk to India and the Philippines and Vietnam….and even Russia.

It would certainly be nice to leave the lower Ryukyus as they are–an out of the way place for smugglers and, oh, a reincarnated Japanese version of Ernest Hemingway, but, alas, nationalism intervenes.

Island-defense.png

Last edited:
This is understandable , but a resurgent Japan will be capable of addressing any national security issues if it arises in North East Asia , and Asia-Pacific as a whole.

Too early to judge Japans behavior and intentions. New epoch, old foe.

Is Japan a friend of Asia or one who invites foreigners to meddle and dictate regional policy?

Personally I encourage Japan to build up its defense forces but American meddling must be stamped out.

Too early to judge Japans behavior and intentions. New epoch, old foe.

Is Japan a friend of Asia or one who invites foreigners to meddle and dictate regional policy?

Personally I encourage Japan to build up its defense forces but American meddling must be stamped out.

In the past war, the Japanese people were completely manipulated by the fascist military government. There was no such thing as freedom of the press, any news information that could undermine the military's prestige was kept low. In fact, very few civilians knew about the Japanese - Soviet border skirmishes, as the results could undermine the military's hold. In the waning days of the Great War, the defeats of Imperial soldiers by the Allied Forces was kept nill. Things have changed, time has changed. Japan has changed, specifically, the democratization of Japan after the war. My country is a nation of laws, and very aware of the price of unmitigated ultra-nationalism. That said, as great power , and as a nation that relies on export trade and import of much needed resources, freedom of navigation in the high seas is imperative to Japanese national security. We don't want war, but we must be prepared should any contingency arise.

Japanese people are not a war-mongering race, and we , like any other people want peace and continued growth with our regional partners. But at the same time be a lion and fox.

To quote Niccolo Machiavelli: “The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.”

Last edited:
In the past war, the Japanese people were completely manipulated by the fascist military government. There was no such thing as freedom of the press, any news information that could undermine the military's prestige was kept low. In fact, very few civilians knew about the Japanese - Soviet border skirmishes, as the results could undermine the military's hold. In the waning days of the Great War, the defeats of Imperial soldiers by the Allied Forces was kept nill. Things have changed, time has changed. Japan has changed, specifically, the democratization of Japan after the war. My country is a nation of laws, and very aware of the price of unmitigated ultra-nationalism. That said, as great power , and as a nation that relies on export trade and import of much needed resources, freedom of navigation in the high seas is imperative to Japanese national security. We don't want war, but we must be prepared should any contingency arise.

Another war on the mainland involving Japanese troops is next to nil but you have side stepped the issue about encouraging American interference in Asian affairs.

Japanese foreign policy is copy and paste of American foreign policy albeit with enough changes to bypass plagiarism software.

Asians should dictate the fate of Asia and be proud enough to govern the peace without dubious foreign interference. The colonial era is over but the White man is still dominant.

Since when does a 127 million people = 200 million people?

Last edited:
Ture, it's the past. But there's something called 命运 / Destiny.
Do u believe Japan + Korea + China can make PEACE in the future like Europe Britain + France + Germany did after WWII ? :pop:

As 3 modernest East Asia countries, China, Japan and S Korea should learn EU's mode, cooperation and developing together. That is the future.

Ture, it's the past. But there's something called 命运 / Destiny.
Do u believe Japan + Korea + China can make PEACE in the future like Europe Britain + France + Germany did after WWII ? :pop:
Maybe, if they're truly want it, especially is China, and of course, not by force, but by responsibility, fairness, and trust ...

Back
Top Bottom