What's new

Japan Mulls 2018 Moon Landing

I'm not sure if 3 years is enough to get through all the bureaucracy that plagues democratic nations.
Things like budgeting, getting diet to approve, getting public support, ect, takes a while, especially if it is something that does not bring any immediate utility to the nation aside from bragging rights.

USA did it, but only because of the Soviet scare. After the coldwar, the American public really don't care about the moon, or space in general.

I will offer a bet to anyone willing to accept that there Japan won't send anything to the moon by 2018.
In fact, I will even give 10-1 odds.

Sustainable population will never be above 10 billion, with more population, there will be even more fierce competition on resources. And there is this natural mechanism to restore balance, and pathological bacteria/virus will mutate faster to wipe out a fraction of the total population within a matter of months.

I believe, each and every society will be governed independently depending upon the environment they'll habitat. Humans living in harsher environment will have strict rules to ensure more discipline and survivability.

Very interesting points about the homeostatic aspect of pathological viruses , bacteria. The mutation of said pathogens is all too real espeially with the inappropriate human use of antibiotics which only further enables bacteria to evolve by developing new beta-lactamase enzymes, that will work against the beta-lactam rings of antibiotics (amoxicillin, nafcillin, gentamicin, aminoglycosides, pipercillin et al). Even some of the effective anti-viral drugs we have now such as ribavirin, are recently becoming ineffective against virus due to mutation of pumps and mutation against fusion inhibitors. This is the very reason why Pharmacology is such a necessary field !

I believe, each and every society will be governed independently depending upon the environment they'll habitat. Humans living in harsher environment will have strict rules to ensure more discipline and survivability.

I just wonder how culture will influence the dynamic of these colonies; depending on the make up of said colony. Say how a colony that will be made up mostly of Indians, Chinese, will differ from say a colony made up of inhabitants mostly from United States, Canada, Australia. We can't ever forget the cultural aspect.

Thinkers.....My grandmother was doing hard labor, that neither you nor I can handle, to support my father's university education, and my father endured hardships as an immigrant to bring me to what I am today.

You think thinkers comes from nothing? I'm not sure how much you seen of developing countries, but the next great revolutionary could be in the same room as his/her mother hard at work, or preparing for another tough day.

Something doesn't come from nothing, as a scientist, you should know that.

My father had to leave his studies in early part of life, and work as a labor in a wood industry to support the family. That is what i reiterated. A generation is lost because of the existential threat. Obviously your father did better in life, now think about what it could have been if your grandmother had the luxury to be highly educated.

With existential threat in mind, seldom find time to think outside the box.

I just wonder how culture will influence the dynamic of these colonies; depending on the make up of said colony. Say how a colony that will be made up mostly of Indians, Chinese, will differ from say a colony made up of inhabitants mostly from United States, Canada, Australia. We can't ever forget the cultural aspect.

Given two scenarios, there will be two distinct possibilities.

If the society is affluent, there will be high level of cooperation between the groups. That society will achieve greater as a specie both in terms of knowledge and sustainability.

If the resources are scarce, they will form groups and fight for more access on the resources. If the population is small, it will lead to extinction of one group, while only one group will remain. Even if there is say only 'Indian' is a space colony, there will still be groups irrespective of colony, and the same fate will happen. The population will always stabilize itself based on the resources.

I have never pondered upon the culture, i always find it hard to understand. :lol:

Good luck to Japan !

The future is when all of us -- Japanese, Americans, Russians, Chinese --- will work together.

We can do so much, achieve so much when we think and operate as a group with common goals.

soyuz-tma11m.jpg

My father had to leave his studies in early part of life, and work as a labor in a wood industry to support the family. That is what i reiterated. A generation is lost because of the existential threat. Obviously your father did better in life, now think about what it could have been if your grandmother had the luxury to be highly educated.

With existential threat in mind, seldom find time to think outside the box.
You are right, my grandma is really smart, actually quite likely smarter than me and my father put together, she can literally do anything without a day of school.

However you get dealt the hand you get dealt. That world never existed for her, and she needed the job to support a future generation, it's not fair, but it is reality.

I guess we are saying the same thing, you from a what could have been and me from a we are poor and we need to accept that and move on. India and China are poor, we can only create on the backs of others.

The future is when all of us -- Japanese, Americans, Russians, Chinese --- will work together.

We can do so much, achieve so much when we think and operate as a group with common goals.

soyuz-tma11m.jpg
Talk to the Americans for us then lol, we are banned from partaking in even a discussion group with them.

ha! so true !

Let's fast forward 200 , 300 years from now. Hypothetically speaking lets say humanity created a space drive technology that will enable our ships to travel destinations millions of lightyears away , and let's say humanity has found new worlds that can sustain life. Earth, during this time, would have already reached unseen population density, let's say some 60 Billion lives now live in earth , thus propelling large scale human colonization of these new worlds. Do you think that, in time, these 'human colonies' would eventually rebel against Earth and declare independence ? Or do you think they will prefer being ruled over by a United Earth Government ?

In Asimovs novel 'Nemesis', earth is a shithole and the colonies want nothing to do with the old homeland.

IMO We romantisize about colonising other planets not for resources but rather for starting anew away from the problems that plague humanity. Like gtfo from a bad or imperfect place.

I think that human colonies will secceed for sure if the connection to the old world is tenuous and distant. And for sure if earth is a shithole.

There should be international effort to establish a human colony in moon. There are craters in moon which can shield humans from harmful solar/cosmic radiation.

Its a piece of cake for Indians. Modi has the secret.

Its a piece of cake for Indians. Modi has the secret.

Yes, we will use Bangladeshi lungi to slow down the descent of our rover on Moon's surface. Because Bangladeshi lungi will still work, even if moon doesn't have an atmosphere.

Yes, we will use Bangladeshi lungi to slow down the descent of our rover on Moon's surface. Because Bangladeshi lungi will still work, even if moon doesn't have an atmosphere.

Ya thats the way to go. You cant' land wearing Indian Nengi in the moon.

In Asimovs novel 'Nemesis', earth is a shithole and the colonies want nothing to do with the old homeland.

IMO We romantisize about colonising other planets not for resources but rather for starting anew away from the problems that plague humanity. Like gtfo from a bad or imperfect place.

I think that human colonies will secceed for sure if the connection to the old world is tenuous and distant. And for sure if earth is a shithole.

I'm a fan of human space technologies , and often ponder on the implications of human space travel, development of human colonies if foreign worlds. Naturally the establishment of these colonies would be to secure resources for the Mother Planet, Earth. However, with the passing of time some of these inner colony worlds would grow in size as well as influence with other peripheral colonies. The problem would be if say these core colony worlds will see the futility in maintaining relations with the Home World and declare independence, rebel. The Mother World would be threatened since there would be a reduction and loss of resources , vital minerals that these home worlds had provided Earth in the past.

I wonder how it would be like -- a Human Galactic War -- imagine The Home World mobilizing fleets and ground forces to invade these colonies with the goal of maintaining the status quo , or the 'Galactic Order'.

Hmmm... your view?

ha! so true !

Let's fast forward 200 , 300 years from now. Hypothetically speaking lets say humanity created a space drive technology that will enable our ships to travel destinations millions of lightyears away , and let's say humanity has found new worlds that can sustain life. Earth, during this time, would have already reached unseen population density, let's say some 60 Billion lives now live in earth , thus propelling large scale human colonization of these new worlds. Do you think that, in time, these 'human colonies' would eventually rebel against Earth and declare independence ? Or do you think they will prefer being ruled over by a United Earth Government ?
Human population would never reach 60 billion. Hint: Have a look at Japan :P every country that will reach a certain level of income will have its population stagnate/decilne.

soyuz-tma11m.jpg
Of course, we will together.

Back
Top Bottom