What's new

Japan Economy Forum

JAPAN and Australia might soon join a clutch of countries that co-operate with India in the civil nuclear sector. “Japan is the leading producer of turbine required for 1,000 Mw capacity. The proposed civil nuclear deal will be mutually helpful to both India and Japan. While Japan can tap huge business potential in India's nuclear sector, India will be able to get India will certainly benefit to get the equipment which is not available generally,” a Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) official told Business Standard.

On India’s civil nuclear deal with Australia, the official said the latter with its huge uranium reserves will be able to meet India’s future supplies. Australia holds a third of the world’s recoverable uranium resources and it exports nearly 7,000 tonnes a year. Since 2005 onwards, India has entered into civil nuclear agreements with the US, Mangolia, Australia, Namibia, Argentina, the UK, Canada, Kazakhstan and South Korea. The DAE official said India will also get uranium supply from Canada, France, Russia, Mangolia, Namibia and Kazakhstan. During 2011-12 and 2013-14, India imported 2,100 tonnes of uranium. Canada, one of the largest producers of pressurised heavy water reactors, can export those reactors to India. South Korea, which manufactures 1,000 MW reactors, can supply them to India in its ongoing capacity programme.

At present, reactors with a total capacity of 3,300 MW are under various stages of development. In addition to this, start of work on 19 new nuclear power reactors with a total capacity of 17,400 MW is planned in the XII Five Year Plan.

These reactors are expected to be completed progressively in the XIII Plan/ XIV Five Year Plan. More reactors are also planned in future, based on indigenous technologies as well as with foreign technical cooperation.

The civil nuclear deals with Japan and Australia are being proposed when DAE and Nuclear Power Corporation have held discussions with the public sector insurance companies to provide insurance cover under the Liability Law.

This was done after some international as well as domestic suppliers have expressed concern regarding non-availability of cover for their risks. According to the official, the civil nuclear deals are quite crucial as it leads to exchange of operational expertise and documents and capacity building in knowledge exchange.

''More importantly, these agreements make India an active part of the international community and increases training opportunities,'' he said.

Civil nuclear deal: India expects turbine from Japan, uranium from Australia | Business Standard News

China Slaps 12 Japanese Auto-Parts Makers with Record $200m Fine for Price Fixing
By Jerin Mathew | IB Times – Wed, Aug 20, 2014

China has slapped 12 Japanese auto-parts makers with a record fine after they were found to have engaged in price fixing, as the country becomes stricter with its antitrust laws.

China's National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) said it levied a record 1.24bn yuan ($200m, €150m, £120m) fine on eight Japanese auto-parts makers and four bearings manufacturers for their collusive behaviour. The amount is almost double the 670m yuan fine imposed on six baby food makers in 2013.

China Slaps 12 Japanese Auto-Parts Makers with Record $200m Fine for Price Fixing - Yahoo News UK

Japanese manufactures can move production to Philippine or Indonesia.

Japanese manufactures can move production to Philippine or Indonesia.

No. They obey the ruling and business continues as usual.

Toyota slices China Lexus part costs amid anti-trust worries, Reuters says

Toyota said that it plans to reduce the car part costs of its Lexus brand in China in response to a similar motion by its German competitors following increased regulatory examination regarding anti-trust concerns, according to Reuters, citing a statement on the Lexus website in the country.

OK, it mean China market is benefited.

Sure. All China demands from those companies is stop selling cars and spare parts at lavish prices in Chinese market.

Just because China is getting richer does not mean it is going to be robbed by some smart souls -- domestic and foreign.

All of these automakers are joint ventures, hence, the rulings cut both ways; domestic and foreign investors.

I've been noticing China harassing foreign companies under bogus 'crimes'. This is cronyism at work. We have that problem here in US as well but its not nearly as bad as China. China is harassing foreign companies to help their local companies, they don't want to compete fairly. The tarriffs are bad enough, but when you add this nonsense it turns into defacto monopoly for local companies because they are not bothered.

Chinese companies may have monopoly on local market, but they are non existent on the INTERNATIONAL market. Your protectionism hinders your ability to go expand globally because you are afraid to compete. The soviet union had local monopoly too, but they still can't compete with Japanese and western companies even today. This is the fate of Chinese companies. If I was China I would embrace international companies and learn as much as i can from them. Remove all tariffs and try to compete with them fairly. South Korean companies are much better than Chinese and have massive global presence. Where are the Chinese companies???

Chinese companies are starting to go global. Huawei, Alibaba, Lenovo, Tencent, Haier, etc are expanding globally.
China already learnt everything from foreign companies during the past 35 years. Now China has its own companies.

Foreign companies has used their position to charge outrageous prices on their goods and services and now the hammer is being brought down on them. This was long overdue.

It is foreign companies that are competing unfairly in the Chinese market.

Some car enthusiasts in Germany have made a calculation how much it would cost to rebuild the exact same car (German brand) by buying original spare parts and came out with 10x. They made the same calculation for China and came out with 12x, which means that the Chinese consumers have been ripped off handsomely for many years.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
I agree we have protectionism too. We also have protection against cheaper Chinese steel which sucks for us. Protectionism is bad and i hate when we do it as well.

I don't think China is protecting local company.

Think about it, the whole point of high tariff is to give local manufacturer price advantage. Now the government is accusing foreign company over-charge consumers and order them to lower the price, sounds contrary to high tariff right ?

Chinese government is targeting those business where there are no local competitors, in this way price drop won't hurt Chinese compaines.

Some car enthusiasts in Germany have made a calculation how much it would cost to rebuild the exact same car (German brand) by buying original spare parts and came put with 10x. They made the same calculation for China and came put with 12x, which means that the Chinese consumers have been ripped off handsomely for many years.

I've heard Levi jeans that were made-in-China and sold in the US market were around $25. But the same made-in-China levi jeans sold in the Chinese market were $100+.

Identical jeans, both made-in-China, 4 times more expensive in China than the US.

Remember that US price includes things like tariffs, shipping cost, etc.

Foreign firms have been looting China. This is not discrimination, this is straight up looting.

My question is why did the Chinese government take this long to bring some fairness to the Chinese consumer? Why did it take until the arrival of Xi Jinping?

I've heard Levi jeans that were made-in-China and sold in the US market were around $25. But the same made-in-China levi jeans sold in the Chinese market were $100+.

Identical jeans, both made-in-China, 4 times more expensive in China than the US.

Remember that US price includes things like tariffs, shipping cost, etc.

Foreign firms have been looting China. This is not discrimination, this is straight up looting.

My question is why did the Chinese government take this long to bring some fairness to the Chinese consumer? Why did it take until the arrival of Xi Jinping?

I don't understand people in China buying branded jeans at all! You can get a pair of bespoke jeans for 150 yuan and you can choose the colour, fabric, design, etc.

I don't understand people in China buying branded jeans at all! You can get a pair of bespoke jeans for 150 yuan and you can choose the colour, fabric, design, etc.

This is the "face" thing, which has always been a core part of Chinese society. Why do you think girls buy fake gucci bag.

A German guy told me that he has seen more luxury cars in GuangZhou than that of entire Germany

Last edited:
I've been noticing China harassing foreign companies under bogus 'crimes'. This is cronyism at work. We have that problem here in US as well but its not nearly as bad as China. China is harassing foreign companies to help their local companies, they don't want to compete fairly. The tarriffs are bad enough, but when you add this nonsense it turns into defacto monopoly for local companies because they are not bothered.

Chinese companies may have monopoly on local market, but they are non existent on the INTERNATIONAL market. Your protectionism hinders your ability to go expand globally because you are afraid to compete. The soviet union had local monopoly too, but they still can't compete with Japanese and western companies even today. This is the fate of Chinese companies. If I was China I would embrace international companies and learn as much as i can from them. Remove all tariffs and try to compete with them fairly. South Korean companies are much better than Chinese and have massive global presence. Where are the Chinese companies???

bro to be honest, I would say China has even be too accomodating/Restraint in enforcing laws we have had in the west for decades. As i said earlier, if this happned in america, then the fine will have been in the billions of dollars not mere millions, and i read that it wasnt until 2008 that China even introduced such laws, this itself is surprising, giving the fact that almost every developed/big economy/power has had such laws decades ago. So to be honest(which i like to be when on a discussion forum) i dont think its really China trying to kick out foreign companies per say. Many countries have such laws, even the companies involved in this case confessed/accepted their guilt and cooperated with authorities to solve the case. So i think you should chill down abit. we dont laways have to bash the chinese everytime.:D

As for monopoly on local market as you said, well its true that maybe the government might want to favour local companies(every country in the world tries to do that if they can, even in U.,K the government will like our local companies to dominate the local market). The issue/problem here is that, China is not the Soviet Union, nor is it Japan or South Korea. Its a huge market already(and its not even half of its true potential yet). So if a local company can dominate the markey there, then believe me that company can easilly be by far the largest in the world, this in itself has repercussions, both financially and in scale, which can help the company invest more and more in Research and Investment and move overseas to better complete abroad. So in this case, China still has the upper hand. I wont advice Japanese companies to get out of the country(which i know they wont by the way, since they still make alot of money/business there:enjoy:), since getting out will only allow more south Korean, western and local chinese companies to fill the void. Unfortuntely, im afraid to say that Japan needs China way way more than China needs Japan.:undecided:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom