What's new

Featured Japan commences sea trials of latest Aegis missile destroyer

Ivan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
By | Jr Ng | June 30, 2020

Maya-class-DDG-scaled.jpg
The second of two Maya (Improved Atago)-class guided missile destroyers built for the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) has commenced sea trials in anticipation of its induction into service in March 2021.

Haguro (Maya-class Missile destroyer)

The 170-metre-long Haguro, which typically displaces around 8,200 tonnes, left its builder Japan Marine United Corporation’s shipyard at Isogo, near Yokohama, on 23 June. The ship will be the last of eight Aegis combat system-equipped missile destroyers that will enhance Japan’s sea-based ballistic missile defence (BMD) capabilities.

The Maya-class is an essentially an improved and slightly larger version of the JMSDF’s Atago-class Aegis missile destroyers, which have a standard displacement of approximately 7,700 tonnes and are 5 metres shorter.

Aegis BMD system and armaments

At its core is the Lockheed Martin/Raytheon AN/SPY-1D(V) phased array radar and the Northrop Grumman AN/SPQ-9B X-band fire-control radar, which enable precise detection and tracking of multiple simultaneous air and surface threats out to standoff ranges.

The type is equipped with the US-developed Cooperative Engagement Capability (CEC) system, which enables the sharing of detailed information with other CEC-equipped ships and aircraft such as the Northrop Grumman E-2D Advanced Hawkeye airborne early warning and control aircraft operated by the Japan Air Self-Defense Force (JASDF) and US Navy (USN) to enhance surveillance and targeting.

It is fitted with 96 Lockheed Martin Mk 41 vertical launching system (VLS) cells – 64 cells fore and 32 cells aft – that can be armed with Raytheon’s Standard Missile 3 (SM-3) Block IIA surface to air missiles that have been specifically designed to intercept short- and intermediate-range ballistic missiles.

Surface threats can be engaged with its BAE Systems Mk 45 Mod 4 127 mm main gun and eight sea-skimming Mitsubishi Type 90 SSM-1B anti-ship missiles.

Sister-ship JS Maya was commissioned into JMSDF service on 19 March.

More BMD ships being considered

Japan’s Defence Minister Taro Kono revealed during a House of Representatives hearing on 16 June that the country may build more destroyers following the government’s decision to suspend its plans to deploy two land-based Lockheed Martin Aegis Ashore BMD systems.

By | Jr Ng | June 30, 2020

The second of two Maya (Improved Atago)-class guided missile destroyers built for the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) has commenced sea trials in anticipation of its induction into service in March 2021.

Haguro (Maya-class Missile destroyer)

The 170-metre-long Haguro, which typically displaces around 8,200 tonnes, left its builder Japan Marine United Corporation’s shipyard at Isogo, near Yokohama, on 23 June. The ship will be the last of eight Aegis combat system-equipped missile destroyers that will enhance Japan’s sea-based ballistic missile defence (BMD) capabilities.

The Maya-class is an essentially an improved and slightly larger version of the JMSDF’s Atago-class Aegis missile destroyers, which have a standard displacement of approximately 7,700 tonnes and are 5 metres shorter.

Aegis BMD system and armaments

At its core is the Lockheed Martin/Raytheon AN/SPY-1D(V) phased array radar and the Northrop Grumman AN/SPQ-9B X-band fire-control radar, which enable precise detection and tracking of multiple simultaneous air and surface threats out to standoff ranges.

The type is equipped with the US-developed Cooperative Engagement Capability (CEC) system, which enables the sharing of detailed information with other CEC-equipped ships and aircraft such as the Northrop Grumman E-2D Advanced Hawkeye airborne early warning and control aircraft operated by the Japan Air Self-Defense Force (JASDF) and US Navy (USN) to enhance surveillance and targeting.

It is fitted with 96 Lockheed Martin Mk 41 vertical launching system (VLS) cells – 64 cells fore and 32 cells aft – that can be armed with Raytheon’s Standard Missile 3 (SM-3) Block IIA surface to air missiles that have been specifically designed to intercept short- and intermediate-range ballistic missiles.

Surface threats can be engaged with its BAE Systems Mk 45 Mod 4 127 mm main gun and eight sea-skimming Mitsubishi Type 90 SSM-1B anti-ship missiles.

Sister-ship JS Maya was commissioned into JMSDF service on 19 March.

More BMD ships being considered

Japan’s Defence Minister Taro Kono revealed during a House of Representatives hearing on 16 June that the country may build more destroyers following the government’s decision to suspend its plans to deploy two land-based Lockheed Martin Aegis Ashore BMD systems.
That’s a nice ship. JP should share technology with Vietnam. We will build as many ships as we need them. Cheap and affordable. Win win. We can defend the navigation. We can defend Japan. No Japanese kid must go hungry to bed because the Chinese blockade sea routes.

That’s a nice ship. JP should share technology with Vietnam. We will build as many ships as we need them. Cheap and affordable. Win win. We can defend the navigation. We can defend Japan. No Japanese kid must go hungry to bed because the Chinese blockade sea routes.

Well you have to get the permission from US first. The core technology of aegis belongs to US. All Japanese, south Korean and Australian aegis destroyers are modified versions of Arleigh Burke. And trust me kid, there is no way to make aegis destroyer cheap and affordable. Even Russia is not capable to build any aegis destroyer yet.

Well you have to get the permission from US first. The core technology of aegis belongs to US. All Japanese, south Korean and Australian aegis destroyers are modified versions of Arleigh Burke. And trust me kid, there is no way to make aegis destroyer cheap and affordable. Even Russia is not capable to build any aegis destroyer yet.

Aegis is basically a management system, the main thing is SPY-1 radar, the heart of the system. Chinese have built their own BMS around 346 radar.

My friend, given chinese threat the US will change its mind because they need someone with spine. We need modern destroyers. The US seeks new ally. Win win. As for Russia, they can build frigates that fire Kalibr. That is the type of missiles Vietnamese submarines can fire. Kalibr needs modern combat system. So not like Aegis but sure the Russians can build some sorts similar to it. I mean Vietnam looks for more surface warships yet. But Russia can’t deliver. Turning to the US is a logical choice.
We need more Kilo subs otherwise, with more Kalibr.

5b5eb095dda4c829568b4595.jpg

Aegis is basically a management system, the main thing is SPY-1 radar, the heart of the system. Chinese have built their own BMS around 346 radar.

The US Navy will soon upgrade to the SPY-6 radar on its Flight 3 Burke’s which are 100 times more sensitive than the SPY-1. Flight 2a’s will also be back fit with a SPY-6 variant 30 times as sensitive as the SPY-1.

My friend, given chinese threat the US will change its mind because they need someone with spine. We need modern destroyers. The US seeks new ally. Win win. As for Russia, they can build frigates that fire Kalibr. That is the type of missiles Vietnamese submarines can fire. Kalibr needs modern combat system. So not like Aegis but sure the Russians can build some sorts similar to it. I mean Vietnam looks for more surface warships yet. But Russia can’t deliver. Turning to the US is a logical choice.
We need more Kilo subs otherwise, with more Kalibr.

5b5eb095dda4c829568b4595.jpg
I agree Vietnam should go for more submarines. However I deeply doubt that US is willing to sell its top notch aegis tech to Vietnam which is still a communist country. Not mention Vietnam economy could not afford an aegis destroyer fleet at the moment. South Korea has the lowest GDP among countries has aegis destroyers in Asia, which is still 7 times of Vietnam. My point is your government will never spend a large sum of capital in military when Vietnam's economy is in a fast growing phase.

Maya class,in my opinion is the most beautiful surface combat ships currently in service, especially if viewed from the side and rear
16Q7_HxBmpGSRlsORFjMVsmlgdbX4vx7XvyGbLqOJRqCgcnzErgJlWgIHBuCXZcHUw3bWKLdlIL4TV9KX1VjoxiJX_2xUFRM3S8-4xNzO6y2naj8Q8XugQRQOhXhhOhAsZVIc6whdZ1o

D80sMaCU0AAqpwa.jpg:large

ETcqNb3UEAAIj1v.jpg

EDc404RU8AAZjYY.jpg:large

smaller than 055, less VLS, less powerful radar, core components bought from abroad and very expensive.

and Vietnam thinks it can buy this?

can Vietnamese even understand how to operate this sort of ship?

smaller than 055, less VLS, less powerful radar, core components bought from abroad and very expensive.

Does your 55s have the ABM capabilities the japanese had?

The US Navy will soon upgrade to the SPY-6 radar on its Flight 3 Burke’s which are 100 times more sensitive than the SPY-1. Flight 2a’s will also be back fit with a SPY-6 variant 30 times as sensitive as the SPY-1.

Excellent !!

That’s why we need destroyers my friend. Our frigates have little chance against chinese destroyers. Sure, we can operate destroyers, we are not too stupid. The current Gepards have similar capabilities although in much lower scale. Right now our strategy is hit and run.

3a652db1b_1491214769.jpg

That’s why we need destroyers my friend. Our frigates have little chance against chinese destroyers. Sure, we can operate destroyers, we are not too stupid. The current Gepards have similar capabilities although in much lower scale. Right now our strategy is hit and run.

3a652db1b_1491214769.jpg
For the price of one ship, you could get 4-5 of this gepards. Not to mention it's close to impossible arming and integrating the ship to vietnam largerly russian built hardware.

For the price of one ship, you could get 4-5 of this gepards. Not to mention it's close to impossible arming and integrating the ship to vietnam largerly russian built hardware.
Not integrating, makes no sense. Vietnam wants to buy more Gepards but Russia can’t deliver because of lack of gas engines. Previous engines were made by Ukraine. Now options are buying more Kilo submarines or US destroyers.

I mean we must go big. We face an enemy that is multiple times bigger.

That will not be cheap. Economy will suffer But I am for Pakistan defence doctrine: we rather eat grass than become slave.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom