What's new

JAPAN CAN CRASH DOWN N.KOREA SATELLITE IF NECESSARY

Nishan_101

BANNED
Reaction score
The Japanese Armed Forces could shoot down North Korea’s satellite, planned to be launched next month, as the need arises, Japan's Sankei newspaper reported on Saturday quoting Defense Minister Naoki Tanaka as saying.

The North Korean state news agency KCNA announced on Friday that it would launch an earth observation satellite next month to mark the 100th birthday of its late founding leader Kim Il-sung. The planned launch will be in violation of North Korea’s international obligations and a UN resolution banning Pyongyang from conducting ballistic missile launches.

A similar launch in 2009 drew international criticism and led to UN Security Council sanctions. Sankei said that country's former defense minister Yasukazu Hamada ordered then to deploy missile defense system to protect Japan from North Korean missiles if they fell onto Japanese territory.

The Unha-3 rocket carrying the Kwangmyongsong-3 satellite is scheduled to lift off from a launch pad in Cholsan, a coastal town in the country's northwest, between April 12 and 16.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a statement that Pyongyang's plans to launch the satellite in April violated the international obligations and were highly provocative. She also reminded that UN Security Council Resolution 1874 prohibited North Korea from conducting launches that use ballistic missile technology.
983.jpg

The Japanese do have this capability. Their Atago Class Destroyers are equipped with SM-3 Missiles which have been successfully used by the US as an ASAT weapon.

The Japanese do have this capability. Their Atago Class Destroyers are equipped with SM-3 Missiles which have been successfully used by the US as an ASAT weapon.

You don't need ASAT technology to kill SLV (Satellite vehicle). Though I agree with you that Japan can shoot it.

My personal opinion is The rocket can be intercepted by any BMD system. Its a simple rocket dude.

You don't need ASAT technology to kill SLV (Satellite vehicle). Though I agree with you that Japan can shoot it.

My personal opinion is The rocket can be intercepted by any BMD system. Its a simple rocket dude.

I agree with you. I just wanted to point out that the Japanese have a more then capable missile defence system to shoot the Launch Vehicle down.

They probably won't do it anyway. The U.S doesn't want further tension in the Peninsula. Most probable scenario being:

Sattelite Launched > SLV didn't make it into orbit and crashed into the Pacific / Sea of Japan > North Korean's claim successful launch > US proposes further sanctions at the UNSC > Cycle begins again. :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom