What's new

Japan and Britain 'set to agree arms deal' ( & what it implicates to China)

Speeder 2

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Japan and Britain are set to agree to begin joint development of arms following Tokyo's easing of its ban on exports of military equipment late last year, the Mainichi daily reported on Wednesday.

It will mark the first time that Japan has worked with a country other than the United States on military equipment after making an exception for the US missile defence programme.

Japan's prime minister Yoshihiko Noda and his British counterpart David Cameron are expected to formally agree to begin talks when they meet on April 10 in Tokyo, the paper said.

The newspaper quoted an unidentified senior defence ministry official as saying that it could take the two countries about a year to decide on specific items for joint development as even with the relaxation of rules, Japan still imposes restrictions on sales to third parties.

The two countries may gradually start joint development with small military equipment, rather than big machines like fighters, it said, quoting an unidentified senior foreign ministry official.

Japan in December decided to relax its self-imposed decades-old ban to allow it to take part in the joint development and production of arms with other countries and to supply military equipment for humanitarian missions, opening new markets to its defence contractors.

Other countries such as Australia and France have also expressed interest in working with Japan on military equipment but Japan has prioritised its agreement with Britain after it chose Lockheed Martin Corp's F-35 fighter jets over the Eurofighter Typhoon, made by a consortium of European companies including BAE Systems.

Japan and Britain 'set to agree arms deal' - Telegraph

-------------------

Well, that's how the mainstream media tells the story that Japan sells some stuff to the UK.

But both Russia Today and Aljazeera analyse that the result is reverse:

the move of the UK is to response to America's lead on back to the West Pacific - back to China's backyard. As a consequence, the UK is very likely to deploy its hunter-killer nuke attack sub (with 2000km missles) into China's backyard.

I say China should kickstart negotiation with Argentina to sell them both JF-17 Block II and J-10A (even possible J-10B). China has to take the initiative of the talk since diplomatically speaking Argentines are normally not the smartest people around and can't figure out what warplanes to buy to modernise for about 3 decades.

Argentina doesn't have ANY 4-gen fighter. Zero! Its doctrine are i) avoid UK-US controlled modern fighters and ii) signle-engine to be affordable.

So i) leaves all other possibilities out except the Russian and the Chinese, and ii) eliminates all the Ruskies as they don't have single-engine fighter.

So what the Argentine think of JF-17 Block I and the Chinese fighter in general? According to what I see in 2 biggest Argentine on-line millitary forums (with some ex-mil guys) in recent months ( I blogged there occasionally to polish my Spanish skill) , the general opinions of the Argentines and other South Americans are:

1) JF-17 Block I doesn't have air-refuelling capabilities - not fit for Argentine's large terretory.

2) Some are convinced that Block II with air-refuelling/extra fuel tanks, AESA , better electronics and transfer of tech could be an ideal starting point, coupled with flexibility of cpaable of intergrating some French/Israeli elecs and/or weapons ideally.

3) Many think J-10A is still lacking, but most like J-10B, thinking that it's the only one in China's arsenal that could see EF Typhone eye-to-eye (the UK has only 2 EFs in the Falklands/Malvina).

4) However, Made-In-China in Argentine consumer market are mostly Category-4 junks which make many of them suspect China's capability in providing Western-equivalent quality of ariplanes and logistics support...they have deep doubt on this as Argentina traditionally was a loyal market of French military gears, until the recent Anglo-Franco millitary alliance.

5) useless and messy Argentine politics which has no idea on how to proceed...

In summary: the marketing personnel of China ( and Pakistan) are NOT doing their jobs well enough. Most countries in South America, excluding Chili and Brazil, can afford and in urgent need of large quantities of modern 4 or even 4+ gen single engine fighters that are not controlled or partially controlled by the US/UK. China is the only logical choice. And still the Chinese team can't sell. What's going wrong here?

In my opinion based on the experiences in those forums, how many JF-17s (I AND II) and J-10s you could manage to sell in South America is greatly up to the marketing/sales-related capabilities of China and Pakistan, apart from product flexibility and regional-specific strategic knowhow.

In summary: the marketing personnel of China ( and Pakistan) are NOT doing their jobs well enough. Most countries in South America, excluding Chili and Brazil, can afford and in urgent need of large quantities of modern 4 or even 4+ gen single engine fighters that are not controlled or partially controlled by the US/UK. China is the only logical choice. And still the Chinese team can't sell. What's going wrong here?

In my opinion based on the experiences in those forums, how many JF-17s (I AND II) and J-10s you could manage to sell in South America is greatly up to the marketing/sales-related capabilities of China and Pakistan, apart from product flexibility and regional-specific strategic knowhow.
NOW u plz tell them how should they sell those planes ??? i hope ur advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom