What's new

James Faulkner leaves PSL prematurely, accuses PCB of lying and not honouring agreed payments

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
James Faulkner has left the Pakistan Super League prematurely over a payment dispute, saying the PCB hasn't honoured the contractually agreed payments and has instead "continued to lie" to him.

Faulkner, who has not played Quetta Gladiators' last three games, was understood to have grown increasingly agitated over the matter. ESPNcricinfo understands Faulkner had been negotiating with the PCB over the due payments, with things getting so heated on Friday that he threw his bat and helmet from the lobby floor balcony onto a chandelier after a discussion with a PCB official before leaving for the airport.

Earlier today, he posted two tweets apologising to Pakistan cricket fans and calling his treatment at the hands of the PCB and the PSL "a disgrace".

I apologise to the Pakistan cricket fans. But unfortunately I've had to withdraw from the last 2 matches and leave the @thePSLt20 due to the @TheRealPCB not honouring my contractual agreement/payments. I've been here the whole duration and they have continued to lie to me. It hurts to leave as I wanted to help to get international cricket back in Pakistan as there is so much young talent and the fans are amazing. But the treatment I have received has been a disgrace from the @TheRealPCB and @thePSLt20. I'm sure you all understand my position."

The PCB issued a brief statement saying they had "regretfully taken note of Mr James Faulkner's false and misleading accusations" and that the board would shortly release a detailed statement.

Traditionally, the PCB has always dealt with making player payments initially before recovering the money from the franchises, which may explain why Faulkner's primary grievance lies with the PCB rather than his franchise. Gladiators distanced themselves from the issue, telling ESPNcricinfo the Australian's payment dispute was with the PCB.

Faulkner played six PSL games this season, taking six wickets and scoring 49 runs.

Hopefully the issue is resolved quickly
Playing or not playing is decided by Coach or Captain

Very unfortunate news international players add a great flair to PSL

That aspect of the league has to be protected

We already have not seen many West Indian Cricketers this years

Last edited:
If one party is not fulfilling the contractual agreements, other party can always take it to court. If PCB did not honor the agreement, hope they do it now.

Heard he threw his helmet into a chandelier due to being drunk, one of the reasons.

As per the info released it was totally Mr. Fauulkners own fault to provide incorrect or blocked bank account details, PCB as per the promise did transfer his 70% like all the other foreign players. He was insisting to make another payments rather than sorting his issues out with his own bank. Who in this sane world will pay the player twice especially when its his own fault.

PCB has a very secure system as the PCB transfers the money to the foreign players not the franchises. In any other country he would have been apprehended for damaging the property and misbehaving at the immigration. Apprently he is an habitual trouble maker, no wonder his own country franchises did not offer him any contract this year to this vary reason.

James Faulkner has left the Pakistan Super League prematurely over a payment dispute, saying the PCB hasn't honoured the contractually agreed payments and has instead "continued to lie" to him.

Faulkner, who has not played Quetta Gladiators' last three games, was understood to have grown increasingly agitated over the matter. ESPNcricinfo understands Faulkner had been negotiating with the PCB over the due payments, with things getting so heated on Friday that he threw his bat and helmet from the lobby floor balcony onto a chandelier after a discussion with a PCB official before leaving for the airport.

Earlier today, he posted two tweets apologising to Pakistan cricket fans and calling his treatment at the hands of the PCB and the PSL "a disgrace".

I apologise to the Pakistan cricket fans. But unfortunately I've had to withdraw from the last 2 matches and leave the @thePSLt20 due to the @TheRealPCB not honouring my contractual agreement/payments. I've been here the whole duration and they have continued to lie to me. It hurts to leave as I wanted to help to get international cricket back in Pakistan as there is so much young talent and the fans are amazing. But the treatment I have received has been a disgrace from the @TheRealPCB and @thePSLt20. I'm sure you all understand my position."

The PCB issued a brief statement saying they had "regretfully taken note of Mr James Faulkner's false and misleading accusations" and that the board would shortly release a detailed statement.

Traditionally, the PCB has always dealt with making player payments initially before recovering the money from the franchises, which may explain why Faulkner's primary grievance lies with the PCB rather than his franchise. Gladiators distanced themselves from the issue, telling ESPNcricinfo the Australian's payment dispute was with the PCB.

Faulkner played six PSL games this season, taking six wickets and scoring 49 runs.

274382685_1546108899091509_6694613404374187192_n.jpg

It is believed he wanted under the table payments to a totally different bank account so he wouldn't have to pay any taxes on it. He also abused airport staff and was drunk when he smashed up his hotel room.
The truth will come out and I hope the PCB screw him. He is not welcome back to Pakistan ever.
Gora harami

I am inclined to believe PCB on this. While it may not be the world's strongest sports board financially, the matter cannot be explained by way of lack of funds. The economics of sports in general and sports leagues in particular have got decoupled from stadium attendance, which is the only uncertain element in the revenue-expense mix. Ticket sales worldwide are peanuts compared to all other sources. IPL has shown during Covid that it can be profitable with zero attendance too. All other sources of revenue are already contracted before the tournament - sponsorships and telecast rights, which form the bulk. Similarly costs are known almost entirely in advance - player salaries, stadium fees and logistics being the major ones. Therefore mid-tournament a board is unlikely to be in an hairy situation as regards its budget.

Equally I don't want to be harsh on the Aussie, but the gora athletes can be prone to high handed behaviour, unless there is a lot of money at stake. We brown people go out of our way to please goras.

Hopefully the issue is resolved quickly
Playing or not playing is decided by Coach or Captain

Very unfortunate news international players add a great flair to PSL

That aspect of the league has to be protected

We already have not seen many West Indian Cricketers this years

We didnot see West Indian player because they are bullshit crap and dead now. They were in the PSL Draft but nobody selected them as they are too old to play and perform in a competitive league.

I am inclined to believe PCB on this. While it may not be the world's strongest sports board financially, the matter cannot be explained by way of lack of funds. The economics of sports in general and sports leagues in particular have got decoupled from stadium attendance, which is the only uncertain element in the revenue-expense mix. Ticket sales worldwide are peanuts compared to all other sources. IPL has shown during Covid that it can be profitable with zero attendance too. All other sources of revenue are already contracted before the tournament - sponsorships and telecast rights, which form the bulk. Similarly costs are known almost entirely in advance - player salaries, stadium fees and logistics being the major ones. Therefore mid-tournament a board is unlikely to be in an hairy situation as regards its budget.

Equally I don't want to be harsh on the Aussie, but the gora athletes can be prone to high handed behaviour, unless there is a lot of money at stake. We brown people go out of our way to please goras.
afaik its 4th biggest board from revenue perspective

afaik its 4th biggest board from revenue perspective
While the leagues are governed by the sports authorities, the franchises are standalone entities and have their own economics. If I am not mistaken, the franchises in PSL are also privately owned? Every franchise will have its own accounts, but the point I am making is that most of the costs and revenues are known well in advance and there are unlikely to be any surprises mid way during the tournament. So PCB's solvency is not really an issue in any case.

Back
Top Bottom