What's new

Jaguar Darin II

IAF's upgraded Jaguars are some of the best tactical Bombers in the world. They are not exactly the best but they get the job done and they fit our requirements against Pakistan.

The IAF Jaguars have never once fired in anger, yet since it's induction into the Indian service, the airforce has lost the equivalent of two squadrons in accidents and pilot error, the irony is the Jaguar is a twin engine platform, meaning that little bit extra safety. :)

Jaguars took part in bombing runs over Kargil I think against the Pakistani NLI.

iF THEY HAVE never been used in ANGER then they have been a very good detterrant as theres been no war !!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you agree

IAF's upgraded Jaguars are some of the best tactical Bombers in the world. They are not exactly the best but they get the job done and they fit our requirements against Pakistan.

Man you people have nothing but Pakistan on your hateful minds huh? unreal.. why did you have to bring Pakistan in it ? as far as role your fit so call req's haven't done jack nor they ever will. Stick to the topic and stop hating i could say alot more here but will stick to the topic.:angry:

Jaguars took part in bombing runs over Kargil I think against the Pakistani NLI.

iF THEY HAVE never been used in ANGER then they have been a very good detterrant as theres been no war !!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you agree

The IAF initially used the MIG-21 and MIG-27 in Kargil, as evidence of both falling victim to Pakistani anti-aircraft systems, later the Mirage-2000 was deployed.
As for the Jaguar being a deterrent, the butt of jokes in RAF was that it's only the Earth's curvature, that keeps Jaguars in the air.

Here is an incident related to the IAF Jaguar Squadron which once appeared in the Air Forces Monthly Magazine.

SRINAGAR, Local IAF Commander invites the media and other personalties to display the all weather capabilities of the Jaguar aircraft,
Once everybody is present, a formation of four Jaguars head off in adverse weather conditions, however to everyone's dismay and IAF's embarrassment, all the aircraft fail to return.
It later transpires that two of them crashed while the other pair had to be diverted elsewhere.

Here is an incident related to the IAF Jaguar Squadron which once appeared in the Air Forces Monthly Magazine.

SRINAGAR, Local IAF Commander invites the media and other personalties to display the all weather capabilities of the Jaguar aircraft,
Once everybody is present, a formation of four Jaguars head off in adverse weather conditions, however to everyone's dismay and IAF's embarrassment, all the aircraft fail to return.
It later transpires that two of them crashed while the other pair had to be diverted elsewhere.

I am very much interested in the story, I would also like to know if it was most potent DARIN-2 upgrade or older version! All these speculation is useless about Jaguar (DARIN-2) being not leathal in context to pakistani targets. Looking at Chinese makes and vintage a/c s around us, DARIN-2 is one of the most potent strategic bombing A/Cs.

BTW please provide me the link for the story you just told, I would love to do some in-depth research on that and would like to confirm it from IAF!

The IAF Jaguars have never once fired in anger, yet since it's induction into the Indian service, the airforce has lost the equivalent of two squadrons in accidents and pilot error, the irony is the Jaguar is a twin engine platform, meaning that little bit extra safety. :)

Can I have official data of your claims? Please provide the source of ur claim that pilot errors were the cause of such mis-haps? very much interested to do research about your claims?

Please provide valid and precise, sources not fanboy-Ruppeenews etc trashy link or vague articles not indicating clear facts?

I am very much interested in the story, I would also like to know if it was most potent DARIN-2 upgrade or older version! All these speculation is useless about Jaguar (DARIN-2) being not leathal in context to pakistani targets. Looking at Chinese makes and vintage a/c s around us, DARIN-2 is one of the most potent strategic bombing A/Cs.

BTW please provide me the link for the story you just told, I would love to do some in-depth research on that and would like to confirm it from IAF!
Well would you kindly enlighten us as to what does the DARIN-2 upgrade consists, keeping in mind that most countries around the world have done away with the Jaguars and as for your Vintage remark, the MIG-21 is probably the most numerical aircraft in the IAF inventory and the F-7PG flew much later than the Fishbed.

Well would you kindly enlighten us as to what does the DARIN-2 upgrade consists, keeping in mind that most countries around the world have done away with the Jaguars and as for your Vintage remark, the MIG-21 is probably the most numerical aircraft in the IAF inventory and the F-7PG flew much later than the Fishbed.

I would love to explain DARIN-2 upgrade of Jaguars, But please provide me the LINKS of the above asked sources please.

I would love to explain DARIN-2 upgrade of Jaguars, But please provide me the LINKS of the above asked sources please.

You think i have nothing better to do than sit here and dig up all the material for your satisfaction.
You will find most of the information in the attrition section of the successive Air Forces Monthly Magazine. Two of the magazine's contributors happened to be former IAF officers.

You think i have nothing better to do than sit here and dig up all the material for your satisfaction.
You will find most of the information in the attrition section of the successive Air Forces Monthly Magazine. Two of the magazine's contributors happened to be former IAF officers.

If you cannot back your claims, then don't post such Fanboyish posts claiming them to be world of god. Better stay away from sensationalism than spewing your own facts!

If you have facts and links, provide them, if not avoid making such alleged baseless arguments!

I request you to back you arguments by facts, not what you had read some long time back in some magazine by written by someone.........

Here is some detail from your own source.

HAL has so far produced close to 100 Jaguars. Of the 17 Jaguar trainers, all equipped to DARIN II standard, 8 aircraft have been delivered to IAF. The remaining 9 will be produced within this financial year. In 25 years of its service IAF may have lost over 35 Jaguar aircraft. A DS aircraft was the first to be lost due to bird hit on one engine. Unlike the HF-24, the break up of the engine damaged the other engine as well forcing the pilot to bail out. Losses have been due to bird hits, pilot error, engine failures after debris ingestion and disorientation at night. Unconfirmed press reports indicate that IAF may order twenty more strike fighters.

Indian Air Force :: Quarter Century of the Jaguar in India

Here is the entire Jaguar Upgrade programme.

Up to 120 existing SEPECAT/HAL-built Jaguar IS interdictor/strike aircraft of the Indian Air Force (IAF) will be re-engined as well as re-equipped with a fourth-generation combined cockpit/mission avionics suite along with a related defensive aids suite, all of which will result in the twin-engined Jaguar IS being reborn as a formidable all-weather platform with enhanced technical service life, enhanced weapons carriage capability (especially precision-guided munitions, or PGM), and also a platform capable of undertaking dedicated suppression of enemy air defence (SEADF) missions.

Last month, the IAF set up a high-level systems evaluation committee whose first task will be to identify a suitable turbofan for the re-engining component of the massive upgrade-cum-service life extension programme. The engine evaluation-sum-selection process will be overseen by K V L Rao, the former Project Director (propulsion systems) of the Defence Research & Development Organisation’s (DRDO) Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), which is leading the R & D efforts of the Tejas Mk1 and projected Mk2 light combat aircraft (LCA). Bidding for supplying up to 280 turbofans (including 40 spare engines) are UK-based Rolls-Royce and US-based Honeywell, with the competitive evaluation process being expected to reach its conclusion by next month. Honeywell is offering its F125IN, a 43.8kN thrust (with afterburning) turbofan, while Rolls-Royce, whose Adour Mk811 (rated at 32.5kN thrust with afterburning) presently powers the Jaguars, has proposed its Adour Mk821 turbofan. Honeywell, which first showcased the F125IN at the Aero India 2009 expo in Bangalore last February, claims that its proposed solution boasts “improved pilot safety, lower maintenance costs and outstanding reliability”. Honeywell has also since stated that the F125IN’s modular construction and integral dual full-authority digital engine control system (FADEC) would save the IAF US$1.5billion in life-cycle costs as compared to its competitor. Rolls-Royce, on the other hand, claims that its Mk821, which is built on the proven technology of the preceeding Adour engines, “offers a low-risk route to the twin benefits of greater thrust and lower life-cycle costs”. According to the aero-engine manufacturer, choosing the Mk821 will also offer a high degree of commonality with the Adour Mk871 turbofan that currently powers the BAE Systems/HAL Hawk Mk132 lead-in fighter trainers now in delivery to the IAF. Rolls-Royce recently demonstrated the successfull installation and ground-testing of an Adour Mk821 engine in an ex-Royal Air Force Jaguar at Cosford, which was witnessed by IAF officials. During these tests the Adour Mk821 ran at full reheat and reportedly passed all performance targets set down by the IAF. The tests were conducted by Rolls-Royce’s Chief Test Pilot Phill O’Dell, who said: “As a former RAF Jaguar pilot myself I was impressed with the performance and functionality that the Mk821 delivered. This had no adverse affect on the aircraft, highlighting the ease of the integration process and the compatibility of the engine with the airframe. This is no real surprise as they were literally made for each other”. Martin Fausset, Managing Director of Rolls-Royce Defence Aerospace, said: “As the only engine certified for the Jaguar we were always confident that the Adour Mk821 could be successfully installed without any aircraft modification, even with the new technologies and enhanced performance, but this exercise has allowed us to demonstrate this high level of compatibility to the IAF. We believe that we have proved that the Adour Mk821 meets all IAF performance requirements at the lowest risk”. The Mk821, according to Rolls-Royce, includes several technology inserts from other civil and military programmes and has been specifically designed for the IAF’s operational requirements, offering the twin benefits of greater thrust and lower life-cycle costs.

Vicki Panhuise, Honeywell’s Vice President for Military Aircraft, claimed that the F125N “will transform the IAF Jaguars by improving mission performance, enhancing pilot safety, reducing pilot workload, and reducing maintenance events and costs”. “The F125IN powerplant is significantly lighter and much more powerful than the aircraft’s current engine. It has an advanced FADEC system, modular construction, integrated engine health monitoring system and best-in-class thrust-to-weight ratio—all designed to give the IAF the best engine with the lowest operating and maintenance costs,” Panhuise added. It was in 2007 that the F125IN was successfully demonstrated to the IAF in Bangalore on board an existing IAF Jaguar IS. Its on-condition engine maintenance design leads to maximum time-on-wing, extending the first off-wing inspection interval to more than 10 years of service.

As far as the to-be-upgraded Jaguar IS’ cockpit/mission avionics go, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) last February revealed a prototype DARIN-3 suite at the Aero India 2009 expo, which includes an all-glass cockpit, HOTAS controls, core avionics computer, new-generation stores management system and digital map generator, wide-angle HUD, and an integrated defensive aids suite (IDAS) now being co-developed by the DRDO’s Defence Avionics Research Establishment (DARE) and EADS Defence Electronics. The IDAS will include a radar/laser warning receiver, full multi-spectral detection-capable missile approach warning system, and a towed-decoy, this being the Ariel Mk3 high-power, fibre-optic linked system. Once a threat has been detected, located, and identified by the on-board radar warning receiver, a jamming signal is generated by the towed-decoy by using a techniques generator based on digital-RF-memory (DRFM) components, which will produce a full range of noise and deception signals between 4.5GHz and 18GHz. The RF signal is converted into modulated laser pulses and transmitted down the 100 metre-long fibre-optic cable to the decoy, which contains a transmitter. The Ariel Mk3 also incorporates a phased-array beam-steering device, providing full spherical coverage with 1.2 kW of power. The twin modular lightweight countermeasures dispensing systems will probably be pylon-mounted. As for mission avionics, the Jaguar IS will be retrofitted with a modified nose section (like that on board the IAF’s existing Jaguar IM maritime strike aircraft) to accommodate a lightweight active phased-array multi-mode radar (like the Vixen 500e from Selex Galileo or SABR from Northrop Grumman) for both scanning for and tracking hostile airborne targets, as well as moving ground target indication. In addition, for engaging in all-weather precision strikes as part of effects-based air operations, the upgraded jaguar IS will be equipped with two pod-mounted sensors: the 196kg EL/M-20600 radar targetting pod (RTP) from Israel Aerospace Industries’ ELTA Systems Division, and RAFAEL Advanced Defence Systems’ Litening-3 laser designator pod. The former integrates synthetic aperture radar (SAR) imaging, ground moving target indication (GMTI) and precision target tracking into a single sensor. The RTP thus provides high-quality radar images of ground targets and terrain from standoff ranges, even through clouds, rain, fog, battlefield smoke and man-made camouflage, thus also catering for immediate post-strike bomb damage assessment (BDA). For undertaking SEAD missions, the upgraded Jaguar IS will be equipped with twin wide-band jammers and up to four high-speed anti-radiation missiles of an as yet undetermined type.

A wide range of PGMs will available for the upgraded Jaguar IS, including the AASM from SAGEM (belonging to France’s SAFRAN Group), Raytheon’s JSOW, MBDA’s Diamond Back, Israel Military Industries’ (IMI) modular standoff vehicle (MSOV) and Delilah multi-role cruise missile, and Raytheon’s Paveway 4 or Israel Aerospace Industries’ Griffin-3 laser-guided bombs. The Diamond Back features a unique joined tandem-wing design that extends the wings from a compact storage position. The deployed wings provide a diamond-shaped platform with excellent manoeuvrability and glide characteristics. The Diamond Back’s wing assembly has successfully demonstrated low-cost range extension technology that can triple the standoff range of of direct-attack munitions. This unique wing assembly, when integrated with tail-controlled GPSW-guided weapons like smaller diameter bombs, provides standoff and cross-track manoeuvrability for a significantly expanded footprint. The larger footprint not only provides additional survivability for the delivery aircraft, but also allows the attack of multiple, widely separated targets from a single release point, and attacks against multiple targets from a single release point. The MSOV is a glide weapon using GPS navigation to reach a pre-planned target at maximum range before dispersing its load of sub-munitions or exploding a unitary warhead. Weighing 1,050kg (2,310lb), including a payload of up to 700kg, the MSOV is 3.97 metres (13 feet) long and has a deployed wingspan of 2.7 metres. The weapon is designed for release from an altitude of up to 35,000 feet ASL, and has a maximum range greater than 120km (65nm). Raytheon, meanwhile, has started integrating its munitions control unit (MCU) on an existing IAF Jaguar IS testbed.
The MCU is a plug-and-play system that enables integration of modern weapons on legacy aircraft with minimal modifications to aircraft wiring and no changes to the flight and stores management software. Once the MCU is integrated on an aircraft, aircrews can employ both existing standofff PGMs and air combat missiles while using the aircraft’s existing weapons management system. Raytheon began integrating its MCU on the Jaguar IS in the second quarter of 2009 and plans to finish the work in less than 24 months. For self-protection, a wide range of within visual range air combat missiles are available, these including RAFAEL’s Python 5 (already on board the Jaguar IM), Raytheon’s AIM-9X, DIEHL/BGT’s Iris-T, and MBDA’s AIM-132 ASRAAM.

June-2008.jpg

Last edited:
If you cannot back your claims, then don't post such Fanboyish posts claiming them to be world of god. Better stay away from sensationalism than spewing your own facts!

If you have facts and links, provide them, if not avoid making such alleged baseless arguments!

I request you to back you arguments by facts, not what you had read some long time back in some magazine by written by someone.........

I think you have spoken a little soon fan boy.
The link i posted is a few years old, you can be hell sure a few more have since gone down.

Here is some detail from your own source.

HAL has so far produced close to 100 Jaguars. Of the 17 Jaguar trainers, all equipped to DARIN II standard, 8 aircraft have been delivered to IAF. The remaining 9 will be produced within this financial year. In 25 years of its service IAF may have lost over 35 Jaguar aircraft. A DS aircraft was the first to be lost due to bird hit on one engine. Unlike the HF-24, the break up of the engine damaged the other engine as well forcing the pilot to bail out. Losses have been due to bird hits, pilot error, engine failures after debris ingestion and disorientation at night. Unconfirmed press reports indicate that IAF may order twenty more strike fighters.

Indian Air Force :: Quarter Century of the Jaguar in India

It does not talk about the Srinagar incedent you talked about!!!:angry:

Nor it talks about Pilot error being the main source!!!!:angry:

Nor it talks about 2 squadrans being destroyed!!:angry:

What unconfirmed reports you are talking about now?:tdown:

If you dont have sources dont make such loud claims!! :hitwall::hitwall:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom