What's new

J20 2002 public test flight on Jun 12, 2012

I have three observations.

1. As the J-20 Mighty Dragon "2002" taxied down the runway, I kept thinking what a sleek aerodynamic plane that it is. A J-20 simply cannot be built without extensive modern supercomputer calculations.

2. If you watch carefully, the J-20 does not require much runway to takeoff. This tells us two things. One, the engines are very powerful. Two, the lift generated by the canard-delta wing combo is very large. More likely, the engines are powerful AND the canard-delta wing design generates great lift.

3. The J-20 is an useful fighter platform with three times the combat radius of the hobbled point-defense F-22 (with a combat radius under 500 miles). When you factor in a circuitous flight path to avoid very strong radar sites, loiter/search time, and/or WVR combat, it becomes obvious the F-22 has an actual useful range significantly smaller than 500 miles.

1. As the J-20 Mighty Dragon "2002" taxied down the runway, I kept thinking what a sleek aerodynamic plane that it is. A J-20 simply cannot be built without extensive modern supercomputer calculations.

2. If you watch carefully, the J-20 does not require much runway to takeoff. This tells us two things. One, the engines are very powerful. Two, the lift generated by the canard-delta wing combo is very large. More likely, the engines are powerful AND the canard-delta wing design generates great lift.

3. The J-20 is an useful fighter platform with three times the combat radius of the hobbled point-defense F-22 (with a combat radius under 500 miles). When you factor in a circuitous flight path to avoid very strong radar sites, loiter/search time, and/or WVR combat, it becomes obvious the F-22 has an actual useful range significantly smaller than 500 miles.

thanks for the fun.. :lol: all hail J-20 the best mid 19th era fighter by chinese (1950s)

thanks for the fun.. :lol: all hail J-20 the best mid 19th era fighter by chinese (1950s)

There is nothing surprising about China's progress in building a long-range F-22 class fighter. China is moving down the same evolutionary aerospace path traveled by the United States.

The U.S. built the F-16 Fighting Falcon. China built the J-10 Vigorous Dragon.

The U.S. built the much-improved F-16E/Block 60. China built the J-10B Vigorous Dragon (see below).

The U.S. built the F-22 Raptor. China is conducting tests on its much longer-range J-20 Mighty Dragon.

----------

J-10B Vigorous Dragon is comparable to F-16E/Block 60

acgJr.jpg

"Overall, the J-10B is thought to be comparable to the American F-16E/Block 60."

AESA - active electronically scanned array (or phased array radar)

IRST - infrared search and track. J-10B has Laser Rangefinder (LR) too. Should be IRST/LR.

RAM - radar absorbent material

DSI - diverterless supersonic inlet

ECM - electronic countermeasure

MAW - missile approach warning

EW - electronic warfare

----------

Off-topic, fyi (for your information), 1950s would be mid-twentieth century. If you want to deliver an insult, at least try to say it properly.

So you observed with naked eye and decided the 'sleek' design must have been assisted by supercomputer?

They could have just hired you.

But they already have.

So you observed with naked eye and decided the 'sleek' design must have been assisted by supercomputer?

But they already have.

If you look at fighter planes long enough, you get a feel for ones designed by a supercomputer and those that are not. My eyes can quickly pick out non-stealth features. I suppose it's like saying I can appreciate a supercomputer-designed Formula One Ferrari vs. a Yugo. To wit:

My annual review of T-50/Pak-Fa progress or lack thereof

Two years have passed since the January 2010 unveiling of the T-50/Pak-Fa. Let's look at the stealth design issues that remain.

Xs31G.jpg

----------

By the way, none of the Russian T-50/Pak-Fa problems exists on the Chinese J-20 Mighty Dragon stealth fighter.

Terrific J-20 Mighty Dragon close-up photographs

xLjpI.jpg

J-20 taxiing

61bta.jpg

Another day of tests

[Note: Thank you to Hu Songshan and J-20 Mighty Dragon Continue Flight Testing in February 2012 ~ Chinese Military Review]

But they already have.

He says some of the stupidest things know to man, nothing new here. The following sums up what he says:

the J-20 mighty-dragon appears to have a totally unique and indigenous delta canard set-up, this is light years ahead of the F-22, pak-fa or anything for that matter, based on the size of the canards, 3 feet and the fact that they are ’paper thin (he really said that) they are ‘stealthy’. Moreover, the canards are immune to edge diffraction because the Chinese have cleverly found a way to fool physics. Therefore, edge diffraction must be disregarded. Also based on my calculations; 1+2=7 + J-20 is black; therefore, 1+7=7 + black = a mach speed of mach 9. The J-20’s DSI is clearly the most advanced breakthrough in aviation history, only supercomputers and high IQ Chinese made this possible, the Russians with all there aviation pedigree, engineers, designers, wind tunnels, and computers can not match this feat. Therefore, the J-20’s DSI technology is a devastating.

----------

J-10B Vigorous Dragon is comparable to F-16E/Block 60

acgJr.jpg

"Overall, the J-10B is thought to be comparable to the American F-16E/Block 60."

First off, I can’t help but laugh at “RAM coated canopy” :lol:

It should also be noted that some of the so called improvments you listed have been around since the 1960’s.

IRST - infrared search and track. J-10B has Laser Rangefinder (LR) too. Should be IRST/LR.

This is just ignorance, IRST’s have always had range finders, at least none Chinese made ones, so no it should not be called an IRST/LR. Moreover, IRST’s have multiple functions besides the ones you listed. I didn’t expect you to no that.

RAM - radar absorbent material

So there is proof of this? And if so please explain why it would even make sense applying ‘RAM’ on a legacy aircraft.

ECM - electronic countermeasure

So you are saying that the J-10A never had any ECM? Wow.

MAW - missile approach warning

Ancient technology.

EW - electronic warfare

Again, an EW suit does not exist an the J-10A, was this aircraft created in the 1950’s?

At PtldM3, if you don't like the improvements to the J-10B, I suggest you write a letter and whine to Bill Sweetman at Aviation Week. I'm pretty sure he could use a good laugh.

----------

Citation: Aviation Week - J-10B's RAM-coated cockpit canopy

Aviation Week notes the following improvements on the J-10B Vigorous Dragon.

1. J-10B most likely has AESA radar.
2. J-10B has DSI and RAM-coated cockpit canopy.
3. J-10B has new EW (electronic warfare) suite and MAW (missile approach warning).
4. Twin-rail PL-12 launchers have been seen on J-10A.

J-10B Gets AESA

"J-10B Gets AESA
Posted by Bill Sweetman 12:07 PM on Jun 14, 2011

New Chinese internet images appear to show what has been suspected for some time: The new J-10B version of Chengdu's canard fighter is fitted with an electronically scanned array radar. It could be a Rafale-type passive ESA, but that's improbable in 2011 -- it is more likely an active ESA, its development quite likely aided by China's massive campaign of cyberespionage.

dJPz4.jpg

Via Secret Projects

The J-10B is interesting because it represents a major block change to what is itself a relatively new design. The most visible change is the diverterless supersonic inlet -- a feature that is usually associated with front-sector radar cross-section reduction. (The DSI was originally developed for an improved F-16 design.) In the J-10B's case, it may also be a less costly and less noisy alternative to the strut-braced mixed-compression ramp on the original design -- but the latest J-10B photos also show the telltale tint of a metallic-treated canopy.

OjadL.jpg

Via Secret Projects

Other changes include what appears to be a new electronic warfare system with larger antennas in underwing fairings and a fin-tip housing, and a missile approach/launch warning system. A standard J-10 has also been seen with twin-rail launchers for PL-12 missiles.

u7thj.jpg

via Alert 5"

But they already have.

Do you deny we have some of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, do you assume we would not use them on the nation's most advanced fighter project?

I love these chinese experts, just by visual inspection these guys are able to tell the shortcomes.

A J-20 Mighty Dragon stealth fighter is like a supermodel

You should spend more time looking at the pictures of the different stealth fighters. The visual cues are there.

Let me try an analogy. An expert can explain why one woman is a supermodel (e.g. J-20) and another isn't (e.g. half-hearted T-50/Pak-Fa). A supermodel is tall, leggy, has smooth skin texture and tone, has a symmetrical face, etc. An average woman is short, chunky, has unsightly moles on her face, and does not conform to mathematical standards for beauty.

Anyway, it is normal to distinguish a supermodel from an ordinary woman based on visual cues. There is no reason why visual cues cannot be used to distinguish between a true fifth-generation stealth fighter and a wannabe.

59dUY.jpg

China's J-20 Mighty Dragon looks marvelous even to an untrained eye. It is obviously stealthy, because the cluttered visual cues from a fourth-generation fighter design are absent. There is no protruding IRST, metal-framed cockpit canopy, tall fuselage section behind the cockpit, and no exposed metallic engine pods.

Back
Top Bottom