What's new

J-16 UPDATE

Akasa

Reaction score
Country
Canada
These days, designations are confusing for PLAAF fighters.

Huitong have recently announced that the J-11BS fighters are not the fighter-bomber variant of the J-11B. Instead, the fighter bomber is called the J-16 (which has recently been known).

The stealth version of the J-11B (which we used to call "J-16", aka "Silent Flanker") has apparently been renamed to either the J-17 or J-19.

Names can be confusing. I don't get why we can't simply call the fighter-bomber the J-11D and the stealth version the J-11E.

Chinese Military Aviation | China Air Force

lol i m confused now, every second day we have some new designation .its not only the aircrafts that surprises us but also their designations as well

Why would you want to give a derivative aircraft a new name or series .For example if you see F-15 ,F-16 and F-18 series of US they have kept the designation same for even the stealth versions but they differentiate or categorize them with alphabetical stuff for example F-18 E/F, F-18A/B where each alphabetic designation categorize them even if there are some structural changes so it doesnot make it confusing to people

But here in China every aircraft even with minor changes is given a separate designation ,so confusing

lol i m confused now, every second day we have some new designation .its not only the aircrafts that surprises us but also their designations as well

Why would you want to give a derivative aircraft a new name or series .For example if you see F-15 ,F-16 and F-18 series of US they have kept the designation same for even the stealth versions but they differentiate or categorize them with alphabetical stuff for example F-18 E/F, F-18A/B where each alphabetic designation categorize them even if there are some structural changes so it doesnot make it confusing to people

But here in China every aircraft even with minor changes is given a separate designation ,so confusing

They don't create these designations for our convenience.

If the J-16 turns out to be a Su-30MKK mod then SAC's website will drown under the curses of Chinese military fans once again.

Chinese military fans hate J-8. J-8 is only a Manned rocket!
Allow them to retire plz...

Agreed.

J-8 is a modified form of J-7

Its basic configuration resembles an enlargement of the delta-wing of the J-7, with two Liyang (LMC) Wopen-7A turbojet engines.
It was hoped to equip the production J-8B with an American AN/APG-66(V) radar (to be dubbed the J-8C), but this proved politically impossible after the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 so the indigenous Type 208A mono-pulse fire-control radar initially was used.

ABCD is 26 only, But J-xxxxxx is countless..thats the trick

If the J-16 turns out to be a Su-30MKK mod then SAC's website will drown under the curses of Chinese military fans once again.

The Silent Flanker project still exists. The designation "J-16" won't be applied to it, that's all.

The J-16 fighter bomber is based on J-11B, not Su-30MKK, and will be a 4.5+ generation heavy fighter with a much more powerful radar and engines. It is probably within the league of MiG-35, Su-37, or later versions of the Eurofighter.

FAS.org puts the J-8IIM's radar capabilities on par with the F-16C and F/A-18. It also puts J-8IIM's high altitude high speed performance better than the F-16C and F/A-18. It also says the J-8IIM has better low-altitude maneuverability than the F/A-18.

So the J-8 is actually isn't ready for retirement

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/j-8.htm

Even I am shocked by the way the Chinese are mass producing Jets, everyday a new model.
I know it may be funny but I get confused between FC20, J10, J20.
The names are pretty much confusing.

Still, a great milestone :tup:
Who cares about what it is called, it is a Fighter jet from anyname it is!

FAS.org puts the J-8IIM's radar capabilities on par with the F-16C and F/A-18. It also puts J-8IIM's high altitude high speed performance better than the F-16C and F/A-18. It also says the J-8IIM has better low-altitude maneuverability than the F/A-18.

So the J-8 is actually isn't ready for retirement

J-8 (Jianjiji-8 Fighter aircraft 8) / F-8

Good link the F-8 page was a good read.

Back
Top Bottom