What's new

J-10B equip with AESA radar?

COuld it be something like this?
Discussing future technologies, Dr, Peter Gutsmiedl, senior vp engineering at EADS Military Air Systems, pointed out ways in which AESA could be integrated into Typhoon - one being the conventional fixed, canted antenna. They included an antenna with auxiliary side arrays, an azimuth gimbal and the so-called "swashplate" radar, a canted antenna on a rotating mount:

What's behind this thinking? A few years ago, Prof. John Roulston - former technical director at BAE Systems' radar division, now part of Selex - presented a paper in which he pointed out a limitation of AESA: at extreme scan angles the effective aperture decreases, and the performance of the radar (range, sensitivity and jamming resistance) declines as a result. So today's M-Scan has a larger field of regard than a fixed AESA, and better performance at the edge of the scan envelope.

More here.
AESA And Typhoon

v74Jl.jpg

AESA, PESA, or radar testing?

No consensus yet.

[Note: Thank you to Aimarraul for the picture.]

PESA or AESA, I couldn't care less. J-10B is never enter mess production for the PLAAF. It is a project to try all kinds of "new" stuff.

What can be 100% confirmed now is China is working on all aspects while our democratic loser neighbours are buying everything.

STOP INSTIGATING A CHINA VS INDIA ARGUMENT

Hmm, then how do you explain the vents on the randome, the shape of the randome, and the fact that its color and size is different than that of the J-10A?

If it's PESA, then I don't really know why they even made the J-10B. Wasn't it supposed to test the 5th generation avionics that are to be used on the J-20? If they are only going to apply a few stealth measures, RAM, and possibly a TVC engine, then there's no point of the J-10B.

And why are the less stealthy J-11B and J-15 getting AESAs while the more capable J-10B isn't?

For now, I'm going to stick with the fact that we don't know yet. Until we get a military official to comment on it, we won't know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom