What's new

Italy slams India's move to invoke anti-piracy law on marines

A culpable homicide or murder charge under IPC would have sufficed I guess.

NIA doesn't have the legal sanction to try the Marines under relevant sections of the IPC. That is the reason why NIA has decided to try the Marines under the anti-piracy law which mandates just one punishment: DEATH. The marine will either hang or go free.

NIA doesn't have the legal sanction to try the Marines under relevant sections of the IPC. That is the reason why NIA has decided to try the Marines under the anti-piracy law which mandates just one punishment: DEATH. The marine will either hang or go free.

They have been tried under a Section of the SUA Act which has a maximum punishment of 10 years. That's the latest development. Read the news.

They have been tried under a Section of the SUA Act which has a maximum punishment of 10 years. That's the latest development. Read the news.

In that case why are the Italians continuing to whine? Do they expect us to set them free without a legal process? Are they still living in the 18th century or what?

In that case why are the Italians continuing to whine? Do they expect us to set them free without a legal process? Are they still living in the 18th century or what?

I don't think they are whining about the term of sentence they may be facing. They have no right to whine about that anymore. I think they are whining about the marines being labelled as pirates even though they really weren't pirates.

I don't think they are whining about the term of sentence they may be facing. They have no right to whine about that anymore. I think they are whining about the marines being labelled as pirates even though they really weren't pirates.

Did not the whole issue begin when two of our fishermen were shot dead and labelled as pirates? Italy must cool it down, even if they are convicted they will surely be pardoned after spending a few years in jail.

Did not the whole issue begin when two of our fishermen were shot dead and labelled as pirates? Italy must cool it down, even if they are convicted they will surely be pardoned after spending a few years in jail.

You are correct. But that was a case of mistaken identity. Anyway, I agree that Italy needs to cool down because if public and media sentiment in India becomes anti-Italy then the judiciary may get affected by it and the marines may face 10 years where they can get away with 6.

We want our marines back home as fast as possible. Thats all we ask for.

We want our marines back home as fast as possible. Thats all we ask for.

Indian Government cant send them back even if it wants to.The matters are completely in the hands of Supreme Court and our judiciary is fiercely independent it wont tolerate any external power trying to influence it. We are providing them all legal assistance for defending them self in the court of law and behold if they are innocent and that incident was a result of mistaken identity they will come out without a scratch. We are generous enough to even send them home during special occasions to spend time with their family.

Indian Government cant send them back even if it wants to.The matters are completely in the hands of Supreme Court and our judiciary is fiercely independent it wont tolerate any external power trying to influence it. We are providing them all legal assistance for defending them self in the court of law and behold if they are innocent and that incident was a result of mistaken identity they will come out without a scratch. We are generous enough to even send them home during special occasions to spend time with their family.

We are thankful for that.

We are thankful for that.

after the conviction , President can always use his right to pardon if deemed appropriate .
But judicial process has to be completed ...

We had in the past pardoned Russian nationals convicted in Purulia arms drop case ...because of our long friendship with Russia .

after the conviction , President can always use his right to pardon if deemed appropriate .
But judicial process has to be completed ...

We had in the past pardoned Russian nationals convicted in Purulia arms drop case ...because of our long friendship with Russia .
I hope that will help us too so much and that it goes fast.

I hope that will help us too so much and that it goes fast.

I am afraid about that part....judicial process in India is quite slow .
But Italy government is maintaining constant pressure ...so things may move bit faster ..

But I do not see resolution of this case in this year ....

Despite the fact that I happen to have an Italian ancestry, the move by Italy was cheap.

India should put them on trail to pay for what they did.
ROME: Italian foreign ministerEmma Boninohas said she was left "dumbfounded and outraged" by India's move to try two Italian marines accused of killing two Indian fisherman under an anti-piracy act and vowed to challenge it legally in the "strongest terms."

"Certain indications that come from New Delhi about the legal proceedings against our marines leave me dumbfounded and outraged," Bonino said.

"Our commitment to bring home Massimiliano Lattore and Salvatore Girone is stronger than ever," she was quoted as saying in the Italian media yesterday.

Her remarks came in the backdrop of home ministry giving sanction toNational Investigation Agency (NIA) to prosecute the Italian marines under the new provision of the Suppression of Unlawful Acts against safety of Maritime Navigation And Fixed Platforms on Continental Shelf Act (SUA).

The SUA carries the death sentences. But India last week spared them from the possibility of getting death penalty by asking the NIA to dilute the charges against them from murder to violence.

"An eventual request for the SUA act to be invoked on the two marines, if it should be confirmed, will be challenged in court by the Italian defence in the strongest terms," Agenzia Giornalistica Italia news agency quoted Bonino as saying.

Bonino's remarks came ahead of tomorrow's hearing of the case by Supreme Court, which asked Indian authorities to resolve all disputes arising out of the issue of invoking an anti-piracy law against the two Italian marines.

Earlier, using strong words she had said the two Italian marines facing trial are "neither terrorists nor pirates".

The Marines, who were on-board Italian vessel 'Enrica Lexie' and are now lodged in Italian Embassy premises in New Delhi, allegedly shot dead the two fishermen on February 15, 2012 off Kerala coast.

The marines, deployed on the Italian-flagged oil tanker MT Enrica Lexie, have said they mistook the fishermen for pirates. They are now staying in the Italian embassy in New Delhi awaiting trial.

Rome wants the marines to be tried in Italy, claiming the incident took place in international waters. However, New Delhi said it has the right to try the Italian personnel as the victims were Indians on board an Indian fishing boat.

The high-profile case has strained ties between the two countries.

Italy slams India's move to invoke anti-piracy law on marines - The Times of India

Italy slams India's move to invoke anti-piracy law on marines | Business Standard

Back
Top Bottom