• TATA Safari Storme

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters

Chanakya's_Chant

Reaction score
Country
India
It’s Mahindra Scorpio v/s Tata Safari for Army

MUMBAI: The Anand Mahindra-led Mahindra Group and Cyrus Mistry-led Tata Group are pitched against each other to supply sports utility vehicles (SUVs) to the Indian Army and end a decades-long monopoly of the Maruti Gypsy since its launch in 1985.

The Indian Army has selected the Mahindra Scorpio and Tata Safari and the vehicles have been tested for induction into active service. While it was the biggest customer for the Maruti Gypsy, the Army now wants a sturdier vehicle with more modern features that runs on diesel.​

046.jpg

"Tata Safari and Mahindra Scorpio have been selected by the Indian Army as prototype vehicles meeting their specifications and the price bids are likely to be opened soon. Initially, the contract is for 5,000 vehicles," said a source in the know of the development on condition of anonymity.

Mahindra's chief executive (automotive division and international operations) Pravin Shah told TOI, "We have been selected in the 800kg category and we have supplied Scorpios to the Army before. We are yet to hear from about the final order."

720x540xMahindra-Scorpio-Facelift-Front-Right-Quarter-720x540.jpg.pagespeed.ic.9wJOxhg6L3.jpg

Maruti has so far supplied over 31,000 Gypsys to the Indian Army with the last order of 4,000 vehicles coming in December 2014. However, Maruti didn't participate when the Army called bids in the 800kg general service vehicle category as it doesn't have one that meets the requirements. That's because Maruti's Gypsy sells in the 500kg general service vehicle category. Cumulatively, Maruti Suzuki has manufactured close to 1,40,000 Gypsys for India and 22% of these have been procured by the Army.

Tata Motors is also likely to win over Rs 750 crore in contracts to supply about 1,350 heavy-duty trucks in a move that will herald the end of a decades-long monopoly of Czech-made Tatra trucks in military's high-end vehicles.

Source:- It’s Mahindra Scorpio v/s Tata Safari for Army - The Times of India

Can somebody post the pictures of the military variants ??

There was a pretty detailed thread on this just recently.

Depends on what the Army wants to use these for. The Storme and the Scorpio are similar in price, but that's where the comparison ends. They are essentially very different beasts.

Scorpio is just awesome but Safari Strom is good too.

What are the protection measures in both the vehicles for military use.any anti land mine and bulletproof shield?

Scorpio looks more sturdier than Safari .

My vote goes to Scorpio .

All industry sources agree that the Storme (and indeed even the Safari) are way stronger than the Scorpio. Not just the chassis and cross members are designed and built better (the front is like a battering ram) but even the sheet metal used all across the vehicle is much thicker and stronger. The Storme as a result is also about 250 kilos heavier, which is why the Scorpio even with 20 bhp less is a lot sprightlier. The other being the gearing, where the Safari and Storme are much better open highway mile munchers. Just open and close the doors of a Scorpio and Storme to know the difference.

All industry sources agree that the Storme (and indeed even the Safari) are way stronger than the Scorpio. Not just the chassis and cross members are designed and built better (the front is like a battering ram) but even the sheet metal used all across the vehicle is much thicker and stronger. The Storme as a result is also about 250 kilos heavier, which is why the Scorpio even with 20 bhp less is a lot sprightlier. The other being the gearing, where the Safari and Storme are much better open highway mile munchers. Just open and close the doors of a Scorpio and Storme to know the difference.

I was talking about the military variant and purely from the looks ..... I don't know the technical background of both the vehicles .

The thing I like about this variant of scorpio was the side glass shield .... It looks like more shielded than the storme .

I was talking about the military variant and purely from the looks ..... I don't know the technical background of both the vehicles .

The thing I like about this variant of scorpio was the side glass shield .... It looks like more shielded than the storme .

I'm a hardcore gearhead, and extensively test drove both before my family picked up the Storme. Its a luxury vehicle, compared to the much pokier Scorpio. Though the Scorpio has a lot going for it too.

depends on the location of posting

for hilly , mountainous regions scorpio looks badass

but for high ranking officers who visit offices i would go for storme

Back
Top Bottom