What's new

Israel Deploys Nuclear Weapons on German-Built Submarines

TheCommander

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
image-358622-galleryV9-ukcq.jpg

The Dolphin class submarines are built for Israel in a shipyard in Kiel (March 2012 photo).

A German shipyard has already built three submarines for Israel, and three more are planned. Now SPIEGEL has learned that Israel is arming the submarines with nuclear-tipped cruise missiles. The German government has known about Israel's nuclear weapons program for decades, despite its official denials.

Germany is helping Israel to develop its military nuclear capabilities, SPIEGEL has learned. According to extensive research carried out by the magazine, Israel is equipping submarines that were built in the northern German city of Kiel and largely paid for by the German government with nuclear-tipped cruise missiles. The missiles can be launched using a previously secret hydraulic ejection system. Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak told SPIEGEL that Germans should be "proud" that they have secured the existence of the state of Israel "for many years."

In the past, the German government has always stuck to the position that it is unaware of nuclear weapons being deployed on the vessels. Now, however, former high-ranking officials from the German Defense Ministry, including former State Secretary Lothar Rühl and former chief of the planning staff Hans Rühle, have told SPIEGEL that they had always assumed that Israel would deploy nuclear weapons on the submarines. Rühl had even discussed the issue with the military in Tel Aviv.

Israel has a policy of not commenting officially on its nuclear weapons program. Documents from the archives of the German Foreign Ministry make it clear, however, that the German government has known about the program since 1961. The last discussion for which there is evidence took place in 1977, when then-Chancellor Helmut Schmidt spoke to then-Israeli Foreign Minister Moshe Dayan about the issue.

The submarines are built by the German shipyard HDW in Kiel. Three submarines have already been delivered to Israel, and three more will be delivered by 2017. In addition, Israel is considering ordering its seventh, eighth and ninth submarines from Germany.

The German government recently signed the contract for the delivery of the sixth vessel. According to information obtained by SPIEGEL, Chancellor Angela Merkel made substantial concessions to the Israelis. Not only is Berlin financing one-third of the cost of the submarine, around €135 million ($168 million), but it is also allowing Israel to defer its payment until 2015.

Merkel had tied the delivery of the sixth submarine to a number of conditions, including a demand that Israel stop its expansionist settlement policy and allow the completion of a sewage treatment plant in the Gaza Strip, which is partially financed with German money. So far, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has met none of the terms.

Check back on SPIEGEL International on Monday for the full English-language version of SPIEGEL's cover story on Germany's cooperation with Israel over its submarine program.

dgs/SPIEGEL

http://www.spiegel.de/international...ar-weapons-on-german-submarines-a-836671.html

What a hypocrisy!!! Everyone knows that Israel has nuclear weapons, but none says anything about it. The US knows, but they aid billions every year; Germany knows, but they help Israel to develop its military nuclear capabilities.

Either they are worse amateurs or iran's nuclear threat have became more serious than I thought. Because these submarines never meant to carry nuclear weapons they only have torpedo tubes. They will probably put small tactical warheads on cruise missiles but firing them from relatively small conventional diesel-electric submarines like Type 214s will be very tricky.

I'm very curious about this "secret hydraulic ejection system" if it works it will be first in the world. And apart from this, im starting to think Israel started to be like Iran, everything is overgunned, overpovered. For us it doesn't matter anyway. Turkey will never develop nuclear weapons. We like it the old way ;)

Either they are worse amateurs or iran's nuclear threat have became more serious than I thought. Because these submarines never meant to carry nuclear weapons they only have torpedo tubes. They will probably put small tactical warheads on cruise missiles but firing them from relatively small conventional diesel-electric submarines like Type 214s will be very tricky.

I'm very curious about this "secret hydraulic ejection system" if it works it will be first in the world. And apart from this, im starting to think Israel started to be like Iran, everything is overgunned, overpovered. For us it doesn't matter anyway. Turkey will never develop nuclear weapons. We like it the old way ;)

I think you really don't know anything about this Dolphin submarine ....

For us it doesn't matter anyway. Turkey will never develop nuclear weapons. We like it the old way ;)

I think, after Turkiye gets its own nuclear reactors built, Turkiye will be ready to develop nuclear weapons. And based on the threat level, Turkiye will decide to have nuclear weapons or not. Sooner or later, I think, having the nuclear weapons is inevitable.

Israel nuclear weapons are in safer hands than Pakistan and Iran though. Thats why the western is more quiet with Israel, just like with India, China and Russia.

I think, after Turkiye gets its own nuclear reactors built, Turkiye will be ready to develop nuclear weapons..

Wrong. Having nuclear reactors will not help you to built your own nuclear war heads, weapons. To built a nuclear warhead, you need enriched uranium even you need enriched uranium to use in reactors for generating energy.

So you need enriched uranium for both purpose. To get enriched uranium, you must have enriching facility that Turkiye doesn't have and as far as i know, we will not have it.

You may ask, what will we use to generate energy in our reactors? We will buy enriched uranium from Russia under control of IAEA.

I think you really don't know anything about this Dolphin submarine ....
Then tell me what do you know. HDW never placed a vertical launching bay on any submarine as long as i know. They only have torpedo tubes. They are very lethal in conventional warfare but they aren't made for this job.

As far as i know only nuclear submarine swap was russia's rental of an akula to india. Normally these kind of weapons are not for sale :)

I know what it requires to have a nuclear weapon. When I said "Turkiye will be ready to develop nuclear weapons" I meant the infrastructure will be ready. Watch this one starting at 28:00

basically he is saying today for Turkiye the nuclear weapon is not necessary but Turkiye will be ready to have the nuclear power if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Israel nuclear weapons are in safer hands than Pakistan and Iran though. Thats why the western is more quiet with Israel, just like with India, China and Russia.

Dont tell me these jews are angels after bombing a whole country for one captured soldier or dropping fosfor and other bombs blindly on Gaza where thousands of innocent civilians killed including baby's, childs and women.

Israeli subs have large 650-mm torpedo tubes. They are more than enough to carry some 200 kt nuclear cruise missiles.

Dont tell me these jews are angels after bombing a whole country for one captured soldier or dropping fosfor and other bombs blindly on Gaza where thousands of innocent civilians killed including baby's, childs and women.
Nonsense propaganda.

Too Much of Pallywood.

Turkey can only get Nuclear Weapons from Illegal Sources like Pakistan. Otherwise Turkey Doesn't have the Capability to Anything in the Nuclear Field.

Nonsense propaganda.

Yes some Martians dropped those bombs..

Too Much of Pallywood.

Turkey can only get Nuclear Weapons from Illegal Sources like Pakistan. Otherwise Turkey Doesn't have the Capability to Anything in the Nuclear Field.

What has this to do with the fact that Israel is a terrorist state and killing innocent people? Pallywood is maybe playing in India but not in Middle-East.

Yes some Martians dropped those bombs..

What has this to do with the fact that Israel is a terrorist state and killing innocent people? Pallywood is maybe playing in India but not in Middle-East.

Could also be Said Like Turkey is Killing Innocent Kurds of PKK!

Let's Talk about Nukes, Israel, Dolphin Class?

Back
Top Bottom