What's new

Is trade deficit a burning problem for India? The trade deficit with China balloons

For your reference, below is the exchange rate of some currencies in Jan 1998 (23 years ago) and today:

In Jan 1998 (data from Asiaweek, Jan 9th edition)

1 USD = 8.28 CNese yuan = 38.45 India rupee = 44.01 Pakistani rupee = 1503 Korean won = 130 JP yen = 12,292 Vietnam dong = 5,200 Indonesia rupiah = 32.70 Taiwan dollar

Today (data from X-rates)
1USD = 6.398 CNese yuan = 74.20 India rupee = 169.67 Pakistani rupee = 1184.87 Korean won = 113.59 JP yen = 22,540 Vietnam dong (buying rate of Vietcombank) = 14,306 Indonesia rupiah = 27.86 Taiwan dollar

From there, we can see the difference between trade surplus countries (China, Korea, Japan) and trade deficit countries.

Vietnam in last 20 years has been mainly a trade deficit country, The tide only changed some years ago. Last year, Vietnam recorded a record US$ 20 billion surplus, but this year, very likely that we will fall back into deficit (albeit small).

Last edited:
Propaganda Vs Reality,

ChinaTrade

china100.png

India's Export Chart

india-exports.png

Can you give a link on this data ?

Don't bother even asking, IMHO waste of time.

India's economy was in the deep dumps even before covid hit, this is from Indian intellectuals themselves. Thanks to Modi's handling of the economy. India was hit by three bad decisions by Modi even before covid.

After covid, forget it.

It will take at least five to seven years to get past "normal" Indian rate of growth. @jamahir bhai am I at least partially correct?
Did you notice the charts you provided are conflicting with each other?

They will. The data is all fudged.

You can trust no Sanghi or any of their propaganda outlets.

Last edited:
Propaganda Vs Reality,

ChinaTrade

china100.png

India's Export Chart

india-exports.png

I will give you an "A" for defiance even when you know you are at the edge of a 1000 foot waterfall, or walking the plank of a pirate ship with a gun behind your head.

It is brave, but it is foolhardy. The world is not blind to what is going on in India.

They will. The data is all fudged.

You can trust no Sanghi or any of their propaganda outlets.
Because this is what their politicians feed them everyday, and the funny thing is, the Indian public just buy them without any doubts.

India On Way To Become Fastest Growing World Economy

Because this is what their politicians feed them everyday, and the funny thing is, the Indian public just buy them without any doubts.

India On Way To Become Fastest Growing World Economy

BS of the highest order.

"India is on its way to becoming the fastest-growing major economy in the world, a finance ministry report said."

They are predicting GDP growth of 11%. I don't know what the heck they are basing this on. :lol:

I'll have some of the good stuff they're smoking. :-)

I mean there is such a thing as reasonable, then there is outlandish, such as this....

Fitch (credit rating agency) just pegged Bangladesh growth at 7% in 2022 and I called BS on that too.

Right now there is pent up demand in holiday season for everything, clothes, shoes, socks, toys, cellphones, tablets, TV's, Playstations, Nintendos, you name it. So growth will be high for the holiday season. After that I predict Quarters 2, 3 and 4 will see gradual downward trend in consumption spending and capital goods slowing too.

No telling what will happen in India, but I don't see their GDP growing any more than say 5% or so.

Last edited:
What an absolute novice argument to make. India is good to import all its needs as long as its overall balance of payments is manageable.

India's trade deficit till Sept (in 6 months this fiscal) is only $28 billion.

View attachment 790981

Even if it raises to $100 billion for full fiscal, it is still manageable because we will see over $80 billion in remittances and $60 billion in FDI and additional FPI. India do have $640 billion in the bank to burn if it needs to foster growth. Indian rupee is mostly stable at 75 range and would be depreciated to 80 over the next 3 years to support our export industries.

So growth in imports over the last year is actually good as it suggests demand is coming back aggressively after a decade of slumber. India will see aggressive GDP growth rates going forward.

OP is desperately trying to find a needle among the haystack of positive articles coming out there about Indian economy.

Nice try to earn a 50 cents.
A trade deficit of 28 billion USD 9in six months) is peanuts especially when remittances and FDP, FPI are considered which could easily absorb this.

Nope. If you think that its only because of your limited intellect, education or understanding.

Finally we agree on something.

Reality Vs Propaganda :lol:

Of course Stupid pajeets think Bollywood is reality :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom