can the picture be a photoshop ??

Taimi its on google earth so UNLIKELY.
Here are the co-ordinates.

29°35′16″N 34°46′41″E

Last edited by a moderator:
Taimi its on google earth so UNLIKELY.
Here are the co-ordinates.

29°35′16″N 34°46′41″E

I think and i do hope that i have broken the mystery :) took lot of searching :)

The aircraft in this location doesn't seems to be an AEW&C, rather the quality of the image is showing us to be some kind of white dish in the middle. The 4 black stripes seems to be some kind of paint on the wing of the aircraft where the engines are located and in the middle its white color, if you zoom in you won't see a perfect circle shape like some dish or what we have on ZDK-03.

The aircraft in question is the Petroleum Air Services (PAS) a cairo based charter airline De Havilland Canada Dash 7 (quad-turboprop). Its no AWACS.

de-havilland-canada-dhc-7-102-dash-7.html

de Havilland Canada Dash 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Petroleum Air Services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aircrafttype DHC7

Hope the case is closed :)

As Oscar mentioned it does seem to vaguely look like Dash-7 with that T-Tail. Interesting if it has that Disc mounted but it seems to be position much forward normally Disc is position center or mostly further down.

I think and i do hope that i have broken the mystery :) took lot of searching :)

This makes sense because in the picture posted in the second page, the aircraft looks very small as compared to the commercial jet. A ZDK-03 is 34m in length as per wikipedia.

its pretty close to Dash 7 but the dish is very visible from all angels its very odd

its pretty close to Dash 7 but the dish is very visible from all angels its very odd

It seems like a dish, but there isn't any dish, its just the angle which is making us believe that there is some kind of dish. I first thought so, but when i zoomed in and gave it a good look, the white patch was not round from any angle.

Plus, there is no other plausible explanation, there is nothing else which matches this kind of image except the Dash-7, plus it being in Egypt makes much more sense.

Even with the new upgraded A-50U, the disk is positioned further back from the wings and would never give that profile unless from a very steep angle which the aircraft next to it does not echo.
So clearly this is an aircraft with no great sweepback, and the spacing between the engines is greater.
NO IL-76 variant at least.

//correction

The picture is from Taba international , Built originally by Israel and is right next to the border.
Here is an interesting incident around the time the image was taken

Egypt prevents Israeli plane to fly over Taba

29589678.jpg

84323119.jpg

Now the aircraft on the left might be a member of the larger 737(or perhaps A321) family as you can see from the profile. Compare that to the other aircraft that is smaller than even this aircraft and it rules out a Il-76 Variant. Further evidence to rule out an il-76 is the length of the aircraft which comes out to 22m...even with extreme angles you will not be able to achieve that shortening of the length.

Now, what aircraft is somewhere around 21-24m long, has four engines and a T-tail(so not a ZDK-03 and answers the question of Argus as to why we dont see the shadow of one horizontal stab).. and to our eyes at least..has a disc mounted on it(or does it?? since that may be just a wing mount). The Dash-7 is one aircraft that fits that description with similar length and dimensions.

But Im not so sure, whatever it is.. it's probably not an AWACS.
Because when i first concluded that it may be a ZDK-03.. it hit me.. that the ZDK-03 is something that wont be flying to egypt if it is on its way to a certain destination.

There is a bump at the base of the rudder. This is likely a DC-10/MD-11 or the old Lockheed Tristar. If so, then your size estimates would be off by quite a bit.

There is a bump at the base of the rudder. This is likely a DC-10/MD-11 or the old Lockheed Tristar. If so, then your size estimates would be off by quite a bit.

If that is the case then it would make sense. But that , like the dish cannot be ascertained.

If that is the case then it would make sense. But that , like the dish cannot be ascertained.

There is still something off about the shadows and their angles in that photo. I can't put my finger on it, but the angles do not match up with the perspectives. Could it be the heat shimmer of the hot tarmac or something else?

Just so we are discussing GE, the images of the US airbases and UK are so crisp and sharp, the serial number of aircraft, marks on the ramps, the support vehicles, you can even see the color of the shirt a guy is wearing!!

could it be this !

The image is the problem. Where is the shadow of the radar disc? Where is the shadow of the left rear wing?

I think that this is a plain old An-12 Cub cargo plane, with the impression of the radar disc being created by a digital artifact causing a white oval dropout in the signal, which also explains the missing shadows, and the streak artifacts noted in the shadows of the main wings on both sides.

i think the rear left wing is not showing is normal because its higher than the wings and also much smaller you can notice it on the other jet next to it the rear left wing is barely showing . about the disc no comment

Back
Top Bottom