What's new

is this is the ZDK-03 ?

here is another picture to get an idea of its size
503589783.jpg

this pic is taken in Egypt and i was wondering what it could be and its closer to ZDK-03 more than anything else so please brothers tell me what you think

Its not the ZDK. Its Ilyushin Il-76, my guess is A-50M or U (new ones, with upgraded radars). Russia has been trying to show case its fleet of jets and AWACS to pitch to the Egyptians. I guess as the Syrian market shrank, they wanted to build more allies.

@Oscar: What do you think why the shadow of one rear wing is missing?
Angle of sat view.. relative to sun??
Its not the ZDK. Its Ilyushin Il-76, my guess is A-50M or U (new ones, with upgraded radars). Russia has been trying to show case its fleet of jets and AWACS to pitch to the Egyptians. I guess as the Syrian market shrank, they wanted to build more allies.

That was my first thought as well, however the position of the disc relative to the wings and the shadow too seems to belie that.
There is still a possibility that it may be the IL-76.. but the picture is in 2010 and it may have coincided with this.
Egypt, China pledge closer military cooperation

Last edited by a moderator:
Angle of sat view.. relative to sun??

That was my first thought as well, however the position of the disc relative to the wings and the shadow too seems to belie that.
There is still a possibility that it may be the IL-76.. but the picture is in 2010 and it may have coincided with this.

Its a modified Ilyushin Il-76. 2010 is when they were conducting new trials of the upgraded A-50U. And these planes were sent across the Arab world to showcase Russia's advancement in AWACS technology. Apparently, this upgraded version can guide - track - manage a little over 40 jets for interception or ground strike and can direct subs to certain targets also.

Its a modified Ilyushin Il-76. 2010 is when they were conducting new trials of the upgraded A-50U. And these planes were sent across the Arab world to showcase Russia's advancement in AWACS technology. Apparently, this upgraded version can guide - track - manage a little over 40 jets for interception or ground strike and can direct subs to certain targets also.

Even with the new upgraded A-50U, the disk is positioned further back from the wings and would never give that profile unless from a very steep angle which the aircraft next to it does not echo.
So clearly this is an aircraft with no great sweepback, and the spacing between the engines is greater.
NO IL-76 variant at least.

//correction

The picture is from Taba international , Built originally by Israel and is right next to the border.
Here is an interesting incident around the time the image was taken

http://www.paltelegraph.com/world/middle-east/77-middle-east/6430-egypt-prevents-israeli-plane-to-fly-over-taba

29589678.jpg

84323119.jpg

Now the aircraft on the left might be a member of the larger 737(or perhaps A321) family as you can see from the profile. Compare that to the other aircraft that is smaller than even this aircraft and it rules out a Il-76 Variant. Further evidence to rule out an il-76 is the length of the aircraft which comes out to 22m...even with extreme angles you will not be able to achieve that shortening of the length.

Now, what aircraft is somewhere around 21-24m long, has four engines and a T-tail(so not a ZDK-03 and answers the question of Argus as to why we dont see the shadow of one horizontal stab).. and to our eyes at least..has a disc mounted on it(or does it?? since that may be just a wing mount). The Dash-7 is one aircraft that fits that description with similar length and dimensions.

But Im not so sure, whatever it is.. it's probably not an AWACS.
Because when i first concluded that it may be a ZDK-03.. it hit me.. that the ZDK-03 is something that wont be flying to egypt if it is on its way to a certain destination.

@Oscar: This is strange. I got notice that you quoted me in this thread, but I cannot see the last page. What do I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Even with the new upgraded A-50U, the disk is positioned further back from the wings and would never give that profile unless from a very steep angle which the aircraft next to it does not echo.
So clearly this is an aircraft with no great sweepback, and the spacing between the engines is greater.
NO IL-76 variant at least.

//correction

The picture is from Taba international , Built originally by Israel and is right next to the border.
Here is an interesting incident around the time the image was taken

Egypt prevents Israeli plane to fly over Taba

29589678.jpg

84323119.jpg

Now the aircraft on the left might be a member of the larger 737(or perhaps A321) family as you can see from the profile. Compare that to the other aircraft that is smaller than even this aircraft and it rules out a Il-76 Variant. Further evidence to rule out an il-76 is the length of the aircraft which comes out to 22m...even with extreme angles you will not be able to achieve that shortening of the length.

Now, what aircraft is somewhere around 21-24m long, has four engines and a T-tail(so not a ZDK-03 and answers the question of Argus as to why we dont see the shadow of one horizontal stab).. and to our eyes at least..has a disc mounted on it(or does it?? since that may be just a wing mount). The Dash-7 is one aircraft that fits that description with similar length and dimensions.

But Im not so sure, whatever it is.. it's probably not an AWACS.
Because when i first concluded that it may be a ZDK-03.. it hit me.. that the ZDK-03 is something that wont be flying to egypt if it is on its way to a certain destination.

thanks oscar for the clear pic , i thought it was P-3AEW&C but you say its only 24 m ? how did you know

thanks oscar for the clear pic , i thought it was P-3AEW&C but you say its only 24 m ? how did you know

Google earth lets you measure distance on the surface.
Moreover, it has a T tail.. the P-3 does not have it.
It is still a mystery aircraft.. Id think it was a Dash 7.. like this one currently in service within Egypt.
img.axd

That still does not explain that Disc type structure that seems to be there.
dehavilland_dash-7.gif

Back
Top Bottom