What's new

Is the term "Gora" a racial slur or not?

depends on the person and the situation in which the word is used..

Why do you care? Unlike other epithets, a "Gora" usually denotes the top of the food chain. No Pakistani or Indian would mind being referred to as one.

@TruthSeeker

Gora isn't a racial slur per say. Its an old blanket term for the people of European descend or from the west. Its close to the term 'Asians' or 'Arabs.'

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you care? Unlike other epithets, a "Gora" usually denotes the top of the food chain. No Pakistani or Indian would mind being referred to as one.

This is so true. Gora/gori if told to a South Asian denotes beauty or handsomeness while being called a kala or kali is supposed to be insulting. :lol:

So gora/kala are not racial slurs but they do seem like it when desis use it on each other.

a Group of roma calls themselfes "kale" which derrives from "kala" and means black. in european languages roma are known to be "blacks" or "black". they are not black like negroids or in the literal sense, but because they are dark and southasian looking. they are literally Brown but are called "black".

Any word can be used as a racial slur no matter how innocent it is. Can not expect people to be proper, its in our DNA.

Gore log is used to stereotype people who drink a lot, or women who are "loose". The desi community in Oz uses Gora in that context too. So there is definitely some negative connotation.

:P may be according to Indians.

But gora only means WHITE/ Light skinned westners.

anyway if teh fair skinned people consider being called fair, as slur then well may be . But its not

White is not looked down upon by desis but black is.

so go decide which one is a slur

I love darker tones. Never in my life have I cared about color of skin, of any person. All throughout the summers, I force myself to get as "kaala" as possible. Looks awesome! :D

LOL, I remember! :D

Can you recall the song which came as a reply to this one? Went something like: "Saanwli saloni...."

It was never meant as racism, but if you judge the words from western standards -- jaws would drop!

Both the songs...

I still remember an 80s, 90s video a parody of the song Disco Dewane... on WI cricket players went like "Kaalu dewanay, aha... aha" and it used to play on national TV!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gory Rang ka Zammanna Kabi hoga na Puranna. Oh Gori darr tujhe kis ka ha? Tera to Rung Gora ha Haye tera to rung Gora ha.:yahoo:

I see many members of the PDF use the term "gora" readily and often. Is this term not a racial slur? Who is a gora? Light-skinned people of European descent no matter where they were born? Or is the term used for a narrower group, i.e. only people of British descent (including Americans, Australians, Canadians, etc.)?

actually,there is two different meaning of "Gora" in Bengali.one is "fair skinned"(not necessarily racial as it is used to represent a fair skinned India too,eg gori,that is used to represent a fair skinned indian girl),but it was used against europeans/westerners during the past(some might even use it now),and it was popular term during independence movement.another meaning of this word is truly devoted in one idea.

Manhoos, why don't you get it through your thick skull. I am NOT an afghan. :pissed:

Khan meri jaan mein nei kub kahaa haii ke aap Afghan hain....you are a Pakistani....heck its even branded on your butt along with a proper bar code 'Product of Pakistan' but it also says 'Export Quality' - Tabhiii tou vilayat bheej diyaa haiii aaap ko ! :whistle:

I may have a soft spot for "Afghan" Pashtuns, but that's about it.

Kar diii na Buttonyn waliii baaat....why the soft-spot ? :pissed:

Btw, not ALL Pushto speakers are Pashtuns, infact MANY MANY Pashtuns such as Yousafzais who migrated from Delhi don't speak Pushto at all, yet they are all Pashtun. :laughcry:

I know...I know that not all Pashto speakers are Pashtuns how many times do you want to tell me that ! :suicide:

And don't let Luffy hear the second part.....if you can't speak Pashto you ain't a Pashtun or so says my Monkey friend ! :kiss3:

Khan meri jaan mein nei kub kahaa haii ke aap Afghan hain....you are a Pakistani....heck its even branded on your butt along with a proper bar code 'Product of Pakistan' but it also says 'Export Quality' - Tabhiii tou vilayat bheej diyaa haiii aaap ko ! :whistle:

Kar diii na Buttonyn waliii baaat....why the soft-spot ? :pissed:

I know...I know that not all Pashto speakers are Pashtuns how many times do you want to tell me that ! :suicide:

And don't let Luffy hear the second part.....if you can't speak Pashto you ain't a Pashtun or so says my Monkey friend ! :kiss3:

"With a proper bar code" good one yaara!:rofl:

Acha waise when did "gora" become a racial slur. IF it is one then what of "gori"? :what:

Hype seems very bland these days..yaar where is his kemalist fire? :frown:

Back
Top Bottom