What's new

Is the military establishment trying to bully the civilians into submission?

Oh so he's the same 'dude', who came up with this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/world/asia/01pstan.html?_r=1

Pakistani Journalist Critical of the Military Is Threatened

By SABRINA TAVERNISE

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — A gunman strafed the house of a liberal columnist over the weekend and an anonymous caller threatened to kill him, warnings the journalist said he believed had come from the fringes of Pakistan’s security establishment.

The columnist, Kamran Shafi, 63, said a gunman shot six bullets into his house outside Islamabad on Friday while he and his family were sleeping. No one was hurt. The next day, he received a call from a woman who said what had happened “was a trailer,” and warned he would see the “whole movie if you don’t behave.”

The woman added: “You don’t spit into the plate you eat from.”

Mr. Shafi, a former major in the Pakistani Army, has written extensively against the military’s involvement in politics, a delicate topic in a country where the military has immense power over the affairs of state. He said he believed that those who ordered the threat were from inside the powerful security establishment, possibly from the military’s intelligence arm, Inter-Services Intelligence, or ISI.

A spokesman for ISI said Monday: “Our organization does not do these kind of things.”

Pakistan has had three coups in its 62-year history, and Pakistanis like Mr. Shafi argue that the army’s involvement in politics thwarts democratic growth.

“This seems like a warning not to write about the security establishment,” he said by telephone on Monday. He said a car tried to run him off the road earlier this year, an episode that he interpreted as a first warning.

The news media in Pakistan are free and outspoken, but few journalists openly challenge the military. Mr. Shafi’s weekly columns, in the daily newspaper Dawn, were an exception. A recent column questioning why ISI was not run by a civilian drew a barrage of angry e-mail messages, he said.

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

What exactly has he written against the Army?

Just a few 'angry' emails in reply to an article and he thinks that the military is haunting him?

Ayesha Saddiqa wrote a complete book against the military but she feared no such thing, everyday the news papers are filled with write ups against the military, but no one runs them over, our TV channels have been maligning the military since long but they weren't shot at, but this guy (who might have an enemy taking advantage of the situation) thinks that the military (to include MI and ISI) are behind his azz, wow, buddy, if they wanted to kill you, you have been dead already!

In it, up to our necks
By Kamran Shafi
Tuesday, 01 Dec, 2009

So then, December is upon us, another year has gone by in the Fatherland’s struggle to keep its head above water, to be accepted as another half-civilised country in the comity of nations.

The very same terrorists who were running amok during the Commando’s time in the sun while he and his collaborators ran with the hares and hunted with the dogs, are somewhat under control due to the political will of the major political parties of the country which has forced the security establishment to become pro-active. Look at the biased attitude, giving all credit to others but nothing to those who did the task.

I say ‘somewhat’ because almost all of the Swat/Fata Yahoo leadership is either not yet apprehended or killed, the chief murderers Fazlullah and Mehsud either escaping into Afghanistan, Fazlullah purportedly on one leg, the other melting into the countryside. The ones apprehended, such as Muslim Khan the Terrible are being kept under wraps, i.e., have appeared in no court of law. He is charged, may we remind ourselves, with cold-hearted murder, rebellion against the state, robbery and dacoity, and petty theft.

More, much more has happened to us hapless and lay Pakistanis, and to our country in the year gone by. And the jewel in that is the wilful near-revolt by our Rommels and Guderians when they thoughtlessly and recklessly came out publicly in a press release by the ISPR against the aid bill that the American Congress voted into law to give mainly civilian aid to help upgrade the education, health and other infrastructure sectors. It came with a military component too under certain conditions, mainly that the secretary of state will certify to Congress periodically that the Pakistan Army is firmly under the control of the civilian, elected please note, authority. Our Rommels and Guderians were said to be ‘furious’ at the wording of the bill.

Yet, barely nine days after their ‘fury’ had been vented on us ‘bloody civilians’, the commander US Centcom came a-calling, in which meeting the COAS Pakistan Army, conveniently forgetting the ‘fury’ he and his fellow generals felt at the wording of the aid bill, by now called the KLL for it had become US law, asked for early shipment of ‘sophisticated weapons’ for the fight against terror! Can anyone remind him that the "sophisticated weapons" are part of the Coalition Counter Insurgency Fund, a separate issue then KLB, plus can anyone also tell him the other issues related to the conditions of KLB which threaten the nuclear security infrastructure and how US wished to indulge the govt in who to promote to generals and who not ? Does he knows the meaning of such thing ? Does US politicians decide who to make a general or not ?

And what has yours truly been writing about during the past year? About hypocrisy and two-facedness. About the foibles of our politicians, specially of the PPP breaking its solemn promises made with the PML-N; the completely foolish and self-defeating coup against the elected, constitutional government of Punjab by Salmaan Taseer, erstwhile friend and campaigner for people’s rights, foolishness soon put right by the newly independent judiciary.

I noted, however, that whilst politicians can be put in their places by the electoral process itself which is always the preferred method, the superior judiciary is also there to correct the course where it is seen that a certain action is unconstitutional. Such as Salmaan’s coup. But what, pray, does one do with a rampant security establishment that deems it below its dignity to submit to the popular will i.e. the will of the people, as exercised through their chosen, elected representatives, ‘bloody civilians’ though they be? I have written about all of the above.

And also about why that Holy of Holies, the Mother of All Agencies, should be considered the exclusive preserve of the Pakistan Army when every other intelligence agency of note across the world is headed by civilians? I must add here that I received at least three emails containing the vilest abuse after I asked why a civilian could not head the ISI, a few weeks ago. No wonder why.

A little anecdote here: during CIA director Leon Panetta’s (Panetta was President Clinton’s chief of staff and is a ‘bloody civilian’) recent visit to the citadel of Islam, a vehicle in his motorcade from Benazir Bhutto airport to the ISI HQ overturned due to over-speeding and the penchant of Pakistani ‘security car’ drivers to stay as close to the VIP’s car come what may, was said in the press release to belong to a ‘sensitive agency’. I ask you! As if we ‘bloody civilians’ thought the overturned vehicle belonged to that dead-as-a-dodo ministry of tourism.

On the night of Nov 27-28, 2009, my house in Wah, where my wife and daughter and I had come to celebrate Eidul Azha, was fired upon six times by a high velocity firearm, probably a Kalashnikov (on single shot mode) judging from the half-inch deep and two-inch across holes in the concrete wall of the bedroom above ours, possibly a Takharov 30 MM pistol, popularly known as ‘TT Pistol’ in the Land of the Pure. He first says that its a AK-47, then contradicts it with a TT. He isn't sure himself, plus no one uses AK-47 in single shot mode, its always preferred in burst mode when used in such incidents.

There was no sound of a motor vehicle driving away, suggesting professional hit-men who had probably parked their vehicle a way away towards the main GT Road and then calmly walked to it after doing their deed. Sees he was reading a James Bond story when the so called shooting happened, took the dramatization of the escape scene from the book.

There were no empties found at the site giving further credence to the above theory — the assailants had taken care to catch the bullet casings before they fell to the ground, for you do not start looking for empties in the dead of night for fear of getting caught in the act. One of the ways that we used in the army during firing practice in my day was to hold a beret over the ejection port. We had to account for every round fired which I am sure is the case even now. Couldn't he explain it any other way, again pointing at army, perfectly knowing 6 bullets of TT costs less then 150 rupees or local made even less then 100 rs and same case with AK-47 rounds, around 200 rs. So the assailants are doing a daring raid and couldn't use own money to buy the ammo. Plus if its done by ISI, they have no auditing of rounds, especially in this case. And Army has phased out service pistols too

There is more: at exactly 17:33 on Nov 28, 2009, I received a telephone call from a woman speaking in uneducated Urdu and using a mobile phone (0300-274-9185). She asked if I was Kamran Shafi. When I said I was, she said that what had happened to me last night was just the ‘trailer’ and that the complete movie would also be shown. A woman ?? Calling after one full day ?? from a number which can be traced back ?? uneducated urdu ??

When I asked why any of this should happen, she said, ‘One does not spit in the plate one eats from’, and that if I was not careful about what I write I would soon see the complete movie. I am a pensioner of the Pakistan Army, getting the princely sum of Rs1,200 a month, by the way. FIR No 827 has been registered at the Wah Cantonment PS in which I have in an additional application said that I suspect an ‘agency’ of doing the deed. Rs.1,200 mentioning does shows he got kicked out by the army and as one of his punishments his pension also got a slash and shows why he hates army so much.

I must end by saluting Mian Nawaz Sharif and President Asif Ali Zardari for telephoning me inside of 15 and 17 minutes of my sending messages to their staff respectively, about what had happened. And the Punjab government for providing me and my family the best security it can. This is exactly why I stand on the side of elected leaders and against any further interference in our country’s politics by the men on donkey-back. Tells us more about what the real game plan of his is.

USofA was and is bent on destroying ISI, i wonder why ISI did or don't take a shot or atleast the hawai firing at the US ambassador or anyone from the embassy or atleast on an empty embassy car to send a message, you don't ***** in the plate from which you eat.

USofA was and is bent on destroying ISI, i wonder why ISI did or don't take a shot or atleast the hawai firing at the US ambassador or anyone from the embassy or atleast on an empty embassy car to send a message, you don't ***** in the plate from which you eat.

If any one needs to learn not to s*** in the plate you eat from perhaps its the ISI. If the US was so hell bent on destroying the ISI why have they been providing 1/3 of their budget?

Even after taking the money to do a job they should be doing in the first place they cant find a one legged blind man.

ISI starts taking shots at US embassy staff would be the end of finance the end of cooperation and a chance to see what the cia does do when it tries to bring some one down.

What exactly has he written against the Army?

Just a few 'angry' emails in reply to an article and he thinks that the military is haunting him?

Ayesha Saddiqa wrote a complete book against the military but she feared no such thing, everyday the news papers are filled with write ups against the military, but no one runs them over, our TV channels have been maligning the military since long but they weren't shot at, but this guy (who might have an enemy taking advantage of the situation) thinks that the military (to include MI and ISI) are behind his azz, wow, buddy, if they wanted to kill you, you had been dead already!

An exaggerated sense of self importance - he writes some saratorial rants against the military (has been for years) and all of a sudden the 'agencies' are out to get him.

I was just about to point out Ayesha Siddiqa's own rather critical essays and book, despite which she continues to publish, in the same vein.

If any one needs to learn not to s*** in the plate you eat from perhaps its the ISI. If the US was so hell bent on destroying the ISI why have they been providing 1/3 of their budget?

Even after taking the money to do a job they should be doing in the first place they cant find a one legged blind man.

ISI starts taking shots at US embassy staff would be the end of finance the end of cooperation and a chance to see what the cia does do when it tries to bring some one down.

The money is for capturing and killing AQ and associated global terrorists. And the CIA has gotten its money's worth based on that article.

I think various Pakistani leaders have point out repeatedly - when it has come to acting on US intelligence about any HVT's, Pakistan has always delivered.

No one in the West likes to answer the repeated calls from the Pakistani leadership that if the West is so sure about where OBL is, then they need to share the intelligence and information that leads them to be so certain so Pakistan can act.

The fact is that the US consistently refused to provide Pakistan with more sophisticated intelligence gathering (electronic intercept equipment) that it could use to track down HVT's, atleast till the early part of this year. I am unsure if that has changed recently.

So if the US refuses to provide Pakistan with the tools needed to do the job, and then also refuses to provide intelligence to support its contentions that HVT's are in Pakistan, what is Pakistan supposed to do?

This is akin to the Indian approach - refuse to cooperate and share information on the Mumbai attacks (talking about the months that passed before the first dossier was sent), and then vilify Pakistan for 'not cooperating' or acting against XYZ. Either provide the tools, or the intelligence and information, or shut up.

I mean really, people in the West need to stop buying into the crap their establishment feeds them without question. They already bought into one pack of lies and supported the crime of the Iraq invasion that has resulted in hundreds of thousands of innocents dead.

Where are the demands for evidence from your governments to back up these allegations? Even in Pakistan, while the major Newspaper editorials do not dismiss GoP allegations of Indian involvement in terrorism in Pakistan, they do point out that the Pakistani position would be much stronger if the evidence that allows the GoP to make these claims with certitude was made public - where are similar demands in the West?

Even after the Iraq fiasco there is no introspection about the mindset that accepted the lies of the establishment without question, and no skepticism of the current set of views pushed by the establishment. It really paints the citizens and media in many Western nations in a very poor light.

Well it took you and your super-agency more than 8 years JUST keep a track of UBL which indeed is still at large, atleast give the credit that we took off our man's one leg with months!

As for the the 1/3 budget, i'll like if you would support this with something, i mean anything, BTW, can you even try not giving us what we want when you are tied up with yours balls in Afghanistan?

Why dont you give it a try?

Oh so he's the same 'dude', who came up with this:

Ayesha Saddiqa wrote a complete book against the military but she feared no such thing, everyday the news papers are filled with write ups against the military, but no one runs them over, our TV channels have been maligning the military since long but they weren't shot at, but this guy (who might have an enemy taking advantage of the situation) thinks that the military (to include MI and ISI) are behind his azz, wow, buddy, if they wanted to kill you, you have been dead already!

Lets get the facts right.....shall we?

Ayesha Siddiqa received physical threats after she wrote Military Inc. including anonymous phone calls where she was told that her life was in danger.

I'm amused to see how critics of the security establishment are invariably demonized as enemy agents.

Its time we stopped treating the security establishment as a holy cow and start holding it accountable for its actions.

The military establishment must learn to accept supremacy of civilian rule - the good the bad and the ugly.

DAWN

WHEN institutions are moribund, and the political landscape is dominated by individuals, there is a tendency for paranoia to run wild. This is especially true when the ruling mafia is under threat. Then, every voice that questions the status quo is the voice of the enemy.

Currently, as the judicial crisis rumbles on like a smouldering volcano, a number of political players have jumped on the bandwagon. This was entirely predictable, as the opposition all over the world takes advantage of the government’s problems. But in this fevered environment, even well-meaning critics with no political axe to grind are branded as enemies.

This has been Dr Ayesha Siddiqa’s fate. The author of a serious, well-researched analysis about the military’s role in the political economy of Pakistan, she finds herself being pilloried by government spokesmen. Currently in England, she has been giving talks about her book that has been published here by Pluto Press under the title ‘Military Inc’.

In Pakistan, the government tried to disrupt the book’s launch by refusing to allow Oxford University Press to hold the function there at the last minute. This ham-handed reaction gave the book a cachet and an appeal it might not otherwise have gained. Dr Siddiqa informed me that copies are not available over the counter in Karachi and Lahore. The assumption is that ‘agencies’ have bought up most of the first print run.I am willing to bet that few of the book’s detractors have actually read it. Indeed, I must confess that having just bought a copy, I am still going through it. Thus, this is in no sense a book review. But the introduction makes the book’s seriousness of purpose abundantly clear. Dr Siddiqa has coined the term ‘Milbus’ (pronounced ‘milbiz’) as a shorthand term to refer to the military’s business interests. She defines it thus:

“Milbus refers to military capital that is used for the personal benefit of the military fraternity, especially the officer cadre, but is neither recorded nor part of the defence budget. In this respect, it is a completely independent genre of capital. Its most significant component is entrepreneurial activities that do not fall under the scope of the normal accountability procedures of the state, and are mainly for the gratification of military personnel and their cronies… in most cases the rewards are limited to the officer cadre… The top echelon of the armed forces who are the main beneficiaries of Milbus justify the economic dividends as welfare provided to the military for their services rendered to the state.”

Another justification for Milbus advanced by the military is that their efficiency and discipline make their business ventures more successful than those of their civilian competitors. But in reality, the playing field is far from level. Milbus enterprises get many invisible benefits that allow them to function at lower costs. In effect, there are state subsidies worth billions every year, and Dr Siddiqa has quantified some of them.

‘Military Inc’ should thus be seen as a case study of Pakistan, set against the backdrop of other countries with Bonapartist tendencies. Anybody who has spent much time in Pakistan has a collection of anecdotes relating to Milbus, but thus far, these remained unquantified and unresearched. Dr Siddiqa’s work has thus filled a gap in the literature on Pakistan’s military and our economy.However, it is the political implication of Milbus that is of most concern to ordinary Pakistanis. In the concluding chapter of ‘Military Inc’, Dr Siddiqa states:

“The most serious consequence of the military’s involvement in economic ventures relates to their sense of judgment regarding the political control of the state. The financial autonomy of the armed forces … establishes the officer cadre’s interest in retaining political control of the state. Since political power nurtures greater financial benefits, the military fraternity see it as beneficial to perpetuate it. In this respect, economic and political interests are linked in a cyclic process: political power guarantees economic benefits which, in turn, motivate the officer cadre to remain powerful…”

Thus, the officer corps has every reason to grasp, wield and retain political power. It has no incentive to let go. The best we can hope for under this dispensation is for the army to make a cosmetic retreat to the barracks while a civilian government takes the flak without wielding real power. This was pretty much the situation for much of the nineties, after Zia’s death. It was only after Nawaz Sharif was deluded into thinking that his large parliamentary majority gave him real power, and tried to dismiss Musharraf , that GHQ staged its coup of 1999.

Clearly, Dr Siddiqa’s book is a stinging indictment of military rule. But the reason it is so effective is that it is carefully researched, and rigorously argued. To my knowledge, apart from crude attempts to keep it out of circulation, there has been no serious discussion and debate of the many serious issues the author has raised. According to her, she has been accused of using flawed research. But the response surely should be to point out exactly where she is wrong.Meanwhile, she is unsure of her reception when she returns. Apparently, her telephone lines in Islamabad had been disconnected, and she was being constantly harried.

According to the Commonwealth Club management, there was an attempt by the Pakistan High Commission to dissuade them from permitting Dr Siddiqa’s talk. While this has been denied, I am sure the goons back home would have bypassed the high commissioner in their crude attempt to treat the Commonwealth Club the way they bullied Islamabad Club.

And yet it would be a mistake to confuse ‘Military Inc’ with a simple critique of Musharraf and his government. Dr Siddiqa has put the entire institution of the military under a scholarly microscope, not just in Pakistan, but in other countries that have armies that call the shots. She has thus opened a debate that was long overdue. Let us treat her study more seriously than just another opposition sally against the army.

Last edited:
Daily Times
By Aamir Yasin

RAWALPINDI: Police have made no progress in an investigation into an attack on the house of columnist Kamran Shafi, despite the registration of a first information report (FIR).

Shafi filed a complaint with the Wah Cantonment Police Station on the night of November 27, saying his house in Wah was fired at six times.

Rawalpindi CPO Rao Iqbal told Daily Times on Tuesday that police had released two men operating a public call office (PCO) in Morgah, from where a suspicious call was made to Shafi. The CPO said the men told police that a veiled woman had come to their PCO and made a call, but they knew nothing about her. SI Muhammad Riaz – who has been tasked with investigating the case – said the bullet marks on the walls of Shafi’s house suggested that the attackers used “sophisticated weapons”.

Shafi, his wife and daughter were at their house in Wah to celebrate Eid when the assailants struck. According to him, the house was fired at “six times using a high velocity firearm... probably a Kalashnikov”.

Shafi said there was no sound of a vehicle driving away – suggesting it was the job of professional hitmen. “There were no bullet shells at the site... the assailants were careful not to leave behind any evidence,” he said, adding he was also called over the telephone by a woman speaking in broken Urdu and using a cell phone.

“She asked if I was Kamran Shafi... she [then] said that ‘what happened to you last night was just the trailer... the complete movie will also be shown’. When I asked why any of this should happen, she said ‘you are not supposed to bite the hand that feeds you... if you are not careful about what you write, you will soon see the complete movie’.”

According to the AP news agency, the writer alleged on Tuesday that the attack was carried out by elements linked to the security establishment.

According to the Online news agency, Interior Minister Rehman Malik has ordered an FIA investigation into the attack, while the Punjab IG has demanded a report on the attack within two days.

THIS is with reference to Kamran Shafi’s article “Why not a civilian head of the ISI?” (Nov 17) and Lt Col (retd) Mukhtar Ahmed Butt and Rizwan Ashraf’s letters to the editor (Nov 19).

A lot has been written on the role of the ISI without knowing the inside story. The scope of the ISI has never been to tackle internal politics of the country. Rather, this organisation was established to thwart external elements from damaging the interests of our homeland; whether it be related to defence issues or to those pertaining to media warfare.

The point under deliberation is having a civilian head of the ISI. I totally agree with Mr Shafi. His facts about the leading agencies of the world are absolutely correct. And the question of a civilian head is much justified. I have a firm belief on the importance of military institutions and their role in strengthening the country’s defence.

However, many people don’t know that the ISI is constitutionally a ‘civilian organisation’ which was established with a view to support and share the burden of conventional intelligence organisations vis-à-vis military intelligence (MI).

Furthermore, armed forces’ personnel were to serve in the ISI on ‘deputation’ for a period of three to three and a half years and then return back to their parent department. This practice was aimed at cooperating and having mutual understanding between major pillars of the state, i.e. armed forces and the ISI.

The ISI has a permanent civilian cadre whose officers serve their entire life in the organisation. The desired competency level as illustrated by my friends, Mr Mukhtar and Mr Rizwan, would be more in a person who serves his entire life in one department with all necessary training and experience as compared to someone who is to serve for a limited period and lacks the desired expertise too.

However, for the past many years, the irony of fate has been that the majority of civilian organisations are headed by armed forces’ personnel which is agitating to those who have served their entire life and have the right to be departmental head.

If we think that armed forces personnel are the only ones who can run public organisations with the background and knowledge of a ‘military unit’, then I think we should not blame others for all the wrongdoings in our country.

As far as Mr Mukhtar’s statement that ‘gathering intelligence and co-relating it with the geo-political situation of the country is a complicated affair’, I put a question to him as to what is the qualification of a military man? PSC (staff course), war course and so on. Does this have any relation with international relations and diplomacy? Isn’t there anyone in the country who is patriotic other than armed forces personnel? These are some questions which have carved deep scars on the nation’s psyche and are causing internal rift and hatred.

I request all those concerned to consider civilians as equally patriotic and responsible as any soldier would be. Besides, the impression of ‘bloody civilians’ should be removed from the minds of our so-called ‘Godfathers’ for good.

NAEEM BAIG
Karachi

Lets get the facts right.....shall we?

Ayesha Siddiqa received physical threats after she wrote Military Inc. including anonymous phone calls where she was told that her life was in danger.

I'm amused to see how critics of the security establishment are invariably demonized as enemy agents.

Its time we stopped treating the security establishment as a holy cow and start holding it accountable for its actions.

The military establishment must learn to accept supremacy of civilian rule - the good the bad and the ugly.

Dont get under pressure buddy.

i hope you can make a difference between someone threatening you over a phone and another firing at you with live rounds?

There is a large number of people in Pakistan who are die hard for the military, especially Army, what propose out of Ayesha's anonymous ph call's is that some dil jala just scared the little sadaqat out of her and that's it.

She's fit, fine and hefty and still open her beak whenever required.

What i consider is that Ayesha committed a bigger 'sin' by writing a complete damn book of the so called military business outlets all over the world when we compare that with Shafi's 'pre-paid' article over the ISI.

Now considering these facts in mind, Ayesha should have been with her Allah Mian by now, but as she didnt, Sir Shafi would also survive the brunt.

And now, allow me to shatter your dream world; if you still consider that with the kind of media that we have today and the kind of awareness that prevails throughout the country and with hawks like yourself and others on this forum and the cyber world, the military still is considered as a holy cow, then i must salute your senses!!

The military knows its place very well and is very much staying there (with no plans of repeating the past), but just dont allow it to show you people your place, that's a request, for the sake of Pakistan!

TS, all these journalists have gotten threats but has anyone been killed or beaten enough to be taken to a hospital ?? And still they are writing their anti-military rhetoric & living in Pakistan without any security guards protecting them is a proof that neither anyone got a thread nor anyone of them was harmed, rather these so called threats are their own made to give further popularity to their anti-military substance and prove to the world that they are right, but nothing has ever happened to them also tells us that they are the :blah::blah::blah: type people who are just after the military because they have grievances to take revenge for.

And this drama is also staged just for a popularity stunt.

TS, all these journalists have gotten threats but has anyone been killed or beaten enough to be taken to a hospital ?? And still they are writing their anti-military rhetoric & living in Pakistan without any security guards protecting them is a proof that neither anyone got a thread nor anyone of them was harmed, rather these so called threats are their own made to give further popularity to their anti-military substance and prove to the world that they are right, but nothing has ever happened to them

Precisely - if you believe half of what the Baluch nationalists say, and the HRCP says about the PA's 'extrajudicial' actions in Swat, KS, Ayesha Siddiqa, Paracha and the gang would have silently disappeared from the scene long ago.

Back
Top Bottom