What's new

Is Pakistan working on Laser Technology?

If India gets this technology before we do

2014 may also see forward movement in the area of directed energy weapons with Indian efforts in the arena of solid state lasers being unveiled. Much work has already been done in the field of gas dynamic laser(GDL) and chemical oxygen iodine lasers (COIL). For instance enclosed below(see Fig I) is the 'solid model' of a 25 kilowatt (KW) vehicle mounted GDL developed by DRDO's Laser Science and Technology Centre (LASTEC) that has been successfully tested against airborne in the past. The auto laser pointing system used on this 'transportable' GDL originally belongs to a 100 KW GDL. Solid state systems with 20 per cent laser efficiency have also been developed.

fig1-lastec.jpg

Saurav Jha's Blog : A new year for DRDO

I wonder if your post will be taken seriously by fellow Pakistanis. If India uses them in a border skirmish and cause some damage to us then our people in authority will start taking laser weapons seriously.

I wonder if your post will be taken seriously by fellow Pakistanis. If India uses them in a border skirmish and cause some damage to us then our people in authority will start taking laser weapons seriously.

This one is a defensive weapon-to be used against UAVs & helicopters.

Is that the one they sell in Murree? I remember buying it decade or so ago.
The picture shows a laser with power output in milli Watts or may be micro Watts. The laser weapons require power of more than 100 kilo Watts. Enough to burn a hole through a flying aeroplane.

Is that the one they sell in Murree? I remember buying it decade or so ago.

They sell this particular set all over Pakistan I assume...I once bought it from a town in interior Sindh when I was a kid lol

Last edited:
We already have EMP Bombs.

SPD has been working on airborne anti-projectile laser system for quite sometime now. If need be, it can be deployed. Though test cycles are continuing.

Truth is none of us here would even have that information available. Although if I had to take a guess I would say Pakistani engineers and scientist are probably already experimenting.

Truth is none of us here would even have that information available. Although if I had to take a guess I would say Pakistani engineers and scientist are probably already experimenting.

I doubt whether you have the R&D base for this.

There is a laser lab in NUST. But not for military tech

We are working on something. On paper (till 1999) we have

KRL has also undertaken many other defense projects of national importance to enable Pakistan to become self-reliant in various sophisticated weapon systems and to save valuable foreign exchange. These projects include:

• Surface-to-Al-Anti-Aircraft Guided Missiles - Anza Mk 1, and Anza Mk-II.
  • 'Baktar Shikan' Anti-Tank Guided Missile Weapon System.
  • Anti-personnel Mine Sweeping Line Charges.
  • Anti-Tank Mine Clearing Line Charge-Plofadder-195 AT.
  • Laser Range Finder.
  • Laser Threat Sensor
  • Laser Actuated Target
  • Laser Aiming Device
  • Add-On Reactive Armour Kit
  • Anti-Tank Ammunition-Armour Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discordin Sabot (APFSDS)
  • Remote Control Mine Exploder (RCME)
  • Digital Goniometer
  • Power Conditioners for Weapon Systems for TOW ATGM Weapon System, "Baktar Shikan" Weapon System, "ANZA" Training Missile System
  • Switched Mode Power Supplies for LAADS Radar, Skyguard Radar, Air Defense Automation System.

Kahuta - Pakistan Special Weapons Facilities

I would like someone to post some material about Pakistan's laser isotope enrichment program.
Centrifuges needed too much space and KRL's football pitch sized Centrifuge fields were easily detectable from space and passing aircrafts at the same time easy target.
To miniaturise fissile material enrichment facilities,experiments began on Laser isotope enrichment. No official confirmation,but some expat Pakistanis brought the technology back home.
KRL is pretty much defunct and inactive now so chances are that Fissile material enrichment is now miniaturised and hidden away.

KRL is pretty much defunct and inactive now so chances are that Fissile material enrichment is now miniaturised and hidden away.

They go by a different name, but the lack of actual work can be summarized by their recent attempts to reverse manufacture the suzuki mehran along with trying to keep Ghauri relevant.

Back
Top Bottom