What's new

Is Pakistan should sign Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty?

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Is Pakistan should sign Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty?

The Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) is a treaty to limit the spread (proliferation) of nuclear weapons. The treaty came into force on 5 March 1970, and currently there are 189 states party to the treaty, five of which are recognized as nuclear weapon states: United States, Russia, United Kingdom, France & China (also the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council).

The NPT recognize the right to peacefully use of nuclear technology.

Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) will lift the ban on Nuclear Trade with Pakistan; Pakistan can easily get any support from Nuclear Suppliers Group to build Nuclear Power Plants.

Key Articles of Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT)

Article I: Each nuclear-weapons state (NWS) undertakes not to transfer, to any recipient, nuclear weapons, or other nuclear explosive devices, and not to assist any non-nuclear weapon state to manufacture or acquire such weapons or devices.

Article II: Each non-NWS party undertakes not to receive, from any source, nuclear weapons, or other nuclear explosive devices; not to manufacture or acquire such weapons or devices; and not to receive any assistance in their manufacture.

Article III: Each non-NWS party undertakes to conclude an agreement with the IAEA for the application of its safeguards to all nuclear material in all of the state's peaceful nuclear activities and to prevent diversion of such material to nuclear weapons or other nuclear explosive devices.

Article IV: 1. Nothing in this Treaty shall be interpreted as affecting the inalienable right of all the Parties to the Treaty to develop research, production and use of nuclear energy for peaceful purposes without discrimination and in conformity with Articles I and II of this Treaty.

(All the Parties to the Treaty undertake to facilitate, and have the right to participate in, the fullest possible exchange of equipment, materials and scientific and technological information for the peaceful uses of nuclear energy.

Parties to the Treaty in a position to do so shall also co-operate in contributing alone or together with other States or international organizations to the further development of the applications of nuclear energy for peaceful purposes, especially in the territories of non-nuclear-weapon States Party to the Treaty, with due consideration for the needs of the developing areas of the world)

Whether Pakistan should sign NPT & CTBT treaties? Answer to this question is best expressed in the Indian stand on both the issue which is:

India will not sign NPT because it is discriminatory. Meaning it does not apply to the 5 accepted nuclear nations. (USA, USSR, China, UK & France).

India will also not sign CTBT until such time a time frame is attached to the nuclear disarmament of all the nuclear nations.

New Delhi, March 30 (IANS) Ahead of a meeting between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and US President Barack Obama in London, India Monday said it “won’t stand in the way” of Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) provided it “actively contributes to nuclear disarmament”.
“We won’t stand in the way… but it should be a CTBT which actively contributes to nuclear disarmament,” Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon told reporters here when asked about India’s position on the signing of the CTBT - a key non-proliferation priority of the Obama administration.
“We are not sure if the CTBT in its present form addresses our concerns,” Menon said. “Our position remains the same and has been consistent.”
Manmohan Singh will meet Obama in London on the sidelines of the G20 summit in Thursday. The CTBT issue may figure in the discussions between the two leaders.
India has refused to sign the CTBT on grounds that it tends to create a nuclear apartheid by dividing the world into nuclear weapon states and non-nuclear weapon states.
Last week, India’s former foreign secretary Shyam Saran, also prime minister’s special envoy on climate change and nuclear issues, asserted that New Delhi will not sign the CTBT unless the world moves “categorically towards nuclear disarmament in a credible time-frame”.
Saran acknowledged that the CTBT is “an issue that has been seen as potentially a contentious one in our relations with the new US administration”.
“India has been a consistent votary of a CTBT but did not sign the CTBT as it eventually emerged because it was not explicitly linked to the goal of nuclear disarmament,” Saran said at The Brookings Institution, a Washington think tank.
But if “the world moves categorically towards nuclear disarmament in a credible time-frame, the Indo-US differences over the CTBT would probably recede into the background”, Saran said.
India links CTBT with disarmament

Unquote.

India’s inherent value and influence on the international scene will not be ignored. Thus, despite the fact that India is our deadliest enemy; I salute to their resolve for not given in to the US pressure on this issue. This has indirectly helped Pakistan; providing us with a cast iron excuse that the US can’t expect Pakistan to sign the treaties when India hasn’t done so.

Any rational thinking man would agree that nukes are extremely dangerous and likely to cause chaos if these fall into wrong hands and I am all for international nuclear disarmament. However, as long as Isreal and India don’t sign the NPT & CTBT, Pakistan would not, could not and should not sign these treaties.

Instead of seeing it as a reason for keeping the nuclear weapons ... lets see it from the above post.

I feel that the statement applies to all nations except the big 5. Why should any other country be discriminated .... when we are trying to remove nuclear weapons all countries should be treated equally. The treaty should be realistic and each country with nuclear weapons should give a time frame in which it can dismantle the weapons.

Why should Pakistan sign the treaty which undermines its sovereignty? Why should India do this? Why should any country do this?

I agree that nuclear weapons are very dangerous .... but when push comes to shove ... may be (at least for the time being) those are the things that stops wars. As we have seen ... what happens when tensions rise between India and Pakistan ... whole world goes bonkers thinking of another nuclear war!!!

While I don't want any more nuclear bombings on any country ... at the same time I don't want my country or any other country to be mistreated on the international stage.

There should be rules and everyone should be treated equally!

Does the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty work ?

I think we should investigate placing a permenent nuclear weapon in space just like US does a nuke on space yeah ...:cheesy:

No warning it drops like egg

yes pakistan can sign NPT or any such treaty after taking control of all US nuclear weapons.....cuz world is under severe danger if these weapons are not under our control.....yes very happily....:lol::agree:

i think this is the only field where India and pakistan share similar views

Back
Top Bottom