What's new

Is Pakistan ready to host tourists

We shouldn't become another resort like place.

Whilst we should have good infrastructure such as hotels, the real charm lies in preserving the local customs and traditions. Pakistan is unique in this regard. Many tourists value and enjoy this aspect of tourism in Pakistan.

You have raised good questions. Pakistan was never a very popular tourist destination because govt never developed this industry due to some inexplicable reasons. However, except for the recent law and order situation that started around 2005, with Pakistan joining US war of terror in Afghanistan, Pakistan has been pretty safe country for the foreign visitors and a lot of tourists visited it every year without any risk or incident. Overall people are a lot more friendlier and respectful than Indians.

Right now the law and order situation has become much better after multiple operations against terrorists and I see it only getting better and better with time since the govt is taking more serious initiatives like fencing the border with Afghanistan (which is almost complete), strengthening police force and implementing laws and structural changes like merger of FATA into KPK and granting GB the provincial status etc.
But the growth in tourism requires many other elements in place like quick and easy visa application (preferrably fully online system or visa on arrival at least for some countries), infrastructure (tourist info centres, apps, hotels/motels, quality restaurants, and tourist attractions like parks), efficient transport, emergency services etc. Then overall development and improved hygiene and cleaner environment and cities with proper waste-management etc will go a long way in developing the tourism.

Friends you can also contribute with your valuable knowledge @django @Slav Defence
@PakSword
Security is a priority and the government along with the law enforcement agencies and Rescue 1122 should put some policies in place to assist tourists. Language and communication is also a problem as locals do not speak English and I'm sure tourist will not know Urdu all though learning basics phrases will benefit them. I'm aware GB has high literacy rates but northern Punjab and Hazara division could be problematic for visitors.

You have raised good questions. Pakistan was never a very popular tourist destination because govt never developed this industry due to some inexplicable reasons. However, except for the recent law and order situation that started around 2005, with Pakistan joining US war of terror in Afghanistan, Pakistan has been pretty safe country for the foreign visitors and a lot of tourists visited it every year without any risk or incident. Overall people are a lot more friendlier and respectful than Indians.

Right now the law and order situation has become much better after multiple operations against terrorists and I see it only getting better and better with time since the govt is taking more serious initiatives like fencing the border with Afghanistan (which is almost complete), strengthening police force and implementing laws and structural changes like merger of FATA into KPK and granting GB the provincial status etc.
But the growth in tourism requires many other elements in place like quick and easy visa application (preferrably fully online system or visa on arrival at least for some countries), infrastructure (tourist info centres, apps, hotels/motels, quality restaurants, and tourist attractions like parks), efficient transport, emergency services etc. Then overall development and improved hygiene and cleaner environment and cities with proper waste-management etc will go a long way in developing the tourism.

Friends you can also contribute with your valuable knowledge @django @Slav Defence
@PakSword
@PakSword Bhai and your good self pretty much summed it up...Also we as a society need to relax a little remember the Eva Zubeck incident, she did more for promoting tourism than any of these fat cats sitting in the utterly irrelevant institution PTDC.Kudos bhai

Security is a priority and the government along with the law enforcement agencies and Rescue 1122 should put some policies in place to assist tourists. Language and communication is also a problem as locals do not speak English and I'm sure tourist will not know Urdu all though learning basics phrases will benefit them. I'm aware GB has high literacy rates but northern Punjab and Hazara division could be problematic for visitors.
It is not that problematic since people some how manage but definitely not as fluent as Scandinavians but still okay because I travelled with some Swedish friends to Pakistan and we tested it so each one had to reach a certain point without the help of a google maps and all managed to reach without much difficulty. We played this game in Multan and Lahore... for Islamabad, we were sure it would be too easy and not much adventure :) though a group of girls went into Margalla hills without intimating us and that scared us but even they managed themselves pretty good

@PakSword Bhai and your good self pretty much summed it up...Also we as a society need to relax a little remember the Eva Zubeck incident, she did more for promoting tourism than any of these fat cats sitting in the utterly irrelevant institution PTDC.Kudos bhai
Well, that was just one incident and a pretty minor one and she got a lot of support from the people. She is enjoying her life in Pakistan rather she seems to be staying there permanently :)

exactly....hygiene and poor standards and extortionate prices and poor service.
anyone can start a hotel or a school or a hospital for that matter. no checks and balances.
I agree that govt should make regulations and implement to check the standards of services and hygiene especially in the restaurants. Also we need to change the food street culture to more hygienic and improvise the food i.e. reduce fats, increase vegetable content and reduce spices...

She is enjoying her life in Pakistan rather she seems to be staying there permanently :)
And lets hope she finds her Pakistani prince ;).Kudos bhai
NB:Let us hope she does not go anywhere near Nishtar medical university :lol:

No, just a blind guess... I mean if someone is staying for so long without any particular reason then there may be something or someone.

Whoever he is good luck to him, she is a gem, no question about it.Kudos bhai

I mostly stayed govt's rest houses thanks to the connections but I have stayed in PC Bhurban (multiple times), Avari Lahore, Holiday in Islamabad but just for a night, Serena (Faisalabad, Gilgit, Shiger Fort, Hunza) , PC Malam Jabba (~2006). PTDC Rama, and I was pretty okay... except Malam Jabba was not at its best but it was really off season and still the service was good.
I am glad you had good experiences. Also if you have connections they make an extra effort. Tourist wont get that.
The worse exp for me was in Naran. I booked a room and paid for it. When we got there. Oh Allah. To ssy filthy would be an understatement. Brown pillows. No running water. Sheets not changed. Room not clean. Another few young men were struggling with prices so i just gave them the room without requesting money and left. I drove overnight to get back to isb.
However i have stayed at homes in skardu which were nicer than hotels in skurdu. Kind families who were generous and helpful.

Back
Top Bottom