What's new

Is Indian Cuisine Coming of Age in America?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats partly ture. partly because this is the story ever since Pakistan earned a bad image..but even before that Pakistanis have restaurants which sells Indian food...and thats not because of the image..ut because of the demand of teh Indian food.

Once a friend of mine visited a Bangladeshi restaurant in London, he had only two words to define that, "Patient's food"

I know...someone I know who regularly goes to spain says...almost all the Indian restaurants in there are run by Pakistanis..which is really surprising..they are cashin on in our food and name...but still claim their food is better. I am not here to say their food is not good, but when you compare you have to agree somewhere they left behind..mainly due to the variety...and the combination of both veg and non veg dishes.

BTW there have been ocassion when we had Indian chefs and pakistani chefs going directly for a competion to prove which tastes better ,Indian dishes or Pakistani dishes...the judges were neutral...and it was won by the Indians...atleast there you cant say they won because of the 'better image'.

They even name their restaurants after Indian Cities. Ex: Ambala, Calcutta

Once a friend of mine visited a Bangladeshi restaurant in London, he had only two words to define that, "Patient's food"

Pakistani food is good, but after some time it gets boring. Too much oil and very less variety.
Most Bangladeshi restaurant serve North Indian food, and they just murder the cuisine. Yes, you friend described it aptly: "Patient's food"
Indian food is the best. No comparison

It may be, but we prepare river fish pretty much the same way. I thought it was Pakistani.

If you go near the rivers, they always prepare Trout like this. Or they sometimes fry it as well.

It is an Iraqi dish known as MASGOUF but Iraqis use their own local fish.

iraqi_masgouf.jpg

Very Tasty , Time Consuming , Very healthy Turkish Food

yaprak%20sarma.jpg

Dolma-1.jpg

Very tasty ice-cream special Maras DONDURMA PURE ICECREAM

hekimoglu_dondurma4.jpg

BEST DESERT IN THE WORLD BUT VERY VERY HARD TO MAKE NEED TO BE EXPERT

baklava.jpg

TURKISH COFEE

14458d1316092193-turk-kahvesi.jpg

LAHMACUN

pizza-restaurant-004.jpg

ICLI KOFTE

DSC08129.JPG

They even name their restaurants after Indian Cities. Ex: Ambala, Calcutta

Maybe you South Indians like to disconnect yourself from the reality, but the fact is that a majority of the Pakistani population share the same heritage as North Indians. If Pakistanis name their restaurants after Indian cities, most of the time it's because they started off their restaurant business in Pre-Partition India or they named it after their hometown in India (and you'll find many examples like this in Karachi). For example, you gave Ambala as an example, most likely referring to Ambala Sweets in the U.K., which is a Pakistani sweetmeat company that its owner named after his hometown in India.

Pakistani food is good, but after some time it gets boring. Too much oil and very less variety.

lol

But agreed on the high oil content.

To be honest I don't understand why Indians and Pakistanis are fighting over this. The only food unique to India is the South Indian stuff and specific vegetarian varieties and the only food unique to Pakistan is the Afghan, Balochi and Pathan stuff.

Aalu Dum, a spicy creamy potato curry.

CIMG0879.JPG

Can someone please post photos of Afghan, Balochi, Pashtun, Swat food that is so different and nice that you guys are talking about? Thanks.

Most Bangladeshi restaurant serve North Indian food, and they just murder the cuisine. Yes, you friend described it aptly: "Patient's food"
Indian food is the best. No comparison

You are right, most "Indian" curries you find here in England are not what people who have actually eaten South Asian food back home would call authentic. I asked a Pakistani takeaway guy why they don't cook it to authentic tastes and he replied that people there expect food in that manner. So when they ask for a Korma, they expect a sweet curry and not the medium spiced ones we are accustomed to. If he cooked authentic food which people weren't accustomed to, people would send the food back or never order from him again. His strategy works for the native English who make up the bulk of his customers. So it is unfair to totally blame the owners. They are just cooking what their customers expect to eat.

When I need to eat out, I try and avoid Indian restaurants and stick to Chinese instead. That I am sure the food will similarly shock people from China but it works fine for me.

To be honest I don't understand why Indians and Pakistanis are fighting over this. The only food unique to India is the South Indian stuff and specific vegetarian varieties and the only food unique to Pakistan is the Afghan, Balochi and Pathan stuff.

What's funny is some of these Indians desperately trying to read something into the naming and menus of Pakistani-run restaurants. Apparently, they have never run a retail business where you try to attract as wide a customer base as possible. Given that there are 100x more Indians than Pakistanis in most Western countries, it makes sense to serve 'Indian' food in an 'Indian' restaurant.

Secondly, since the term 'Indian' is used as a generic catch-all for South Asia in general, it makes sense to label the food as such to attract non-South Asian customers.

I don't know if it is Afghani, it was somewhat similar to this.

muffins+008.jpg
Nah, srry, the afghan version i ate the pomegranates were cooked and looked tiny(dehydrated). Plus the rice was different

Nah, srry, the afghan version i ate the pomegranates were cooked and looked tiny(dehydrated). Plus the rice was different

That's why used the term "Somewhat similar", the one I ate had fresh anardana put as a garnish over the pulao and that pulao didn't have this much ghas phoos put over that. :lol:

Can someone please post photos of Afghan, Balochi, Pashtun, Swat food that is so different and nice that you guys are talking about? Thanks.

In general, Baluchi and Pakhtun food tends to be more meat-oriented and 'drier', i.e. no curries or gravy, just seasoned, spiced meat that is roasted or fried. It doesn't mean they don't have curries, it's just that kebab types of dishes are more prevalent.

I know in Karachi, there are places where you can get a dozen different styles of kebabs -- all of them roasted on a skewer -- but they are all subtly different from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom