What's new

Is education the answer to Afghanistan's problems?

Pathan02

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
Afghanistan is one of the world's most dangerous countries, a nation torn apart by almost three decades of war – but after so much fighting, could the solution be found in books?

A University of Canterbury (UC) PhD student believes the solution to the country's problems lies in the education of its youth.

Tariq Habibyar says children are still struggling to get hold of books – despite skyrocketing school attendances – and he wants to give 5 million Afghani children access to reading material by the year 2020.

The 29-year-old student recently won a $5000 scholarship to support the project and he's using the funds to kickstart the education-based charity Aida Children's Foundation.

The yet-to-be registered organisation is being developed in conjunction with 12 locals in the Afghan city of Herat.

"The most appropriate way to promote a sustainable peace in Afghanistan is education," he told 3 News.

"In rural areas there you basically have no libraries and especially because of the poverty, people cannot afford to buy books."

The problem's two-fold, according to Mr Habibyar; many villages don't have access to books, and literature about Afghanistan's culture and history is also lacking. The effect is preventing students from engaging in meaningful discourse about their culture and political landscape.

Mr Habibyar grew up with threats of the Taliban hanging over his livelihood and remembers his longing for reading material.

"Going to back to my own childhood, how much I desired to have colourful books, how much desired to have books with pictures," he says. "My father couldn't afford to give books to me.

"We're a young country in terms of age - 14 million children between the ages of zero to 14 - and that means that we need children's education to promote peace and equality."

The pending foundation will kick of its work in Herat this December with a writing competition aimed at talented schoolgirls.

"The children, aged nine to 12, would write the stories for a cash prize of say $60," Mr Habibyar says.

"They will get paid for the story that they share and write, and gradually when you find a bunch of students who can write, they will get paid."

Eventually the foundation will aim to build a "dynamic" group of writers and editors and create a host of books on a range of subjects, such as culture, values, Afghani language, numbers and the country's long history.

"The mentality, where they get paid for their work […] is another way to really get peace in Afghanistan," Mr Habibyar says.

"We want to engage the students and writers and let them know they can get paid."

Eventually the books will be sold to Afghani children across the world, with the proceeds going back to fund the free dissemination of reading material in their homeland.

Initially the Aida Foundation plans to work with schools but, as funding becomes available, they hope to put a library in each district.

In the meantime, Mr Habibyar needs to secure funding to get the process started and he plans to approach UNICEF and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for help.

He is hoping to finish his doctorate in Christchurch over the next couple of years while helping his team get the ball rolling at home.

3 News

Read more: Is education the answer to Afghanistan's problems? - Story - NZ News - 3 News

Afghanistan is one of the world's most dangerous countries, a nation torn apart by almost three decades of war – but after so much fighting, could the solution be found in books?

A University of Canterbury (UC) PhD student believes the solution to the country's problems lies in the education of its youth.

Tariq Habibyar says children are still struggling to get hold of books – despite skyrocketing school attendances – and he wants to give 5 million Afghani children access to reading material by the year 2020.

The 29-year-old student recently won a $5000 scholarship to support the project and he's using the funds to kickstart the education-based charity Aida Children's Foundation.

The yet-to-be registered organisation is being developed in conjunction with 12 locals in the Afghan city of Herat.

"The most appropriate way to promote a sustainable peace in Afghanistan is education," he told 3 News.

"In rural areas there you basically have no libraries and especially because of the poverty, people cannot afford to buy books."

The problem's two-fold, according to Mr Habibyar; many villages don't have access to books, and literature about Afghanistan's culture and history is also lacking. The effect is preventing students from engaging in meaningful discourse about their culture and political landscape.

Mr Habibyar grew up with threats of the Taliban hanging over his livelihood and remembers his longing for reading material.

"Going to back to my own childhood, how much I desired to have colourful books, how much desired to have books with pictures," he says. "My father couldn't afford to give books to me.

"We're a young country in terms of age - 14 million children between the ages of zero to 14 - and that means that we need children's education to promote peace and equality."

The pending foundation will kick of its work in Herat this December with a writing competition aimed at talented schoolgirls.

"The children, aged nine to 12, would write the stories for a cash prize of say $60," Mr Habibyar says.

"They will get paid for the story that they share and write, and gradually when you find a bunch of students who can write, they will get paid."

Eventually the foundation will aim to build a "dynamic" group of writers and editors and create a host of books on a range of subjects, such as culture, values, Afghani language, numbers and the country's long history.

"The mentality, where they get paid for their work […] is another way to really get peace in Afghanistan," Mr Habibyar says.

"We want to engage the students and writers and let them know they can get paid."

Eventually the books will be sold to Afghani children across the world, with the proceeds going back to fund the free dissemination of reading material in their homeland.

Initially the Aida Foundation plans to work with schools but, as funding becomes available, they hope to put a library in each district.

In the meantime, Mr Habibyar needs to secure funding to get the process started and he plans to approach UNICEF and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for help.

He is hoping to finish his doctorate in Christchurch over the next couple of years while helping his team get the ball rolling at home.

3 News

Read more: Is education the answer to Afghanistan's problems? - Story - NZ News - 3 News

Bro, I appreciate you making this thread but Afghanistan is not located in the Middle East or Africa. There is a whole section for Afghanistan on this forum I believe though where you can post such news.

Bro, I appreciate you making this thread but Afghanistan is not located in the Middle East or Africa. There is a whole section for Afghanistan on this forum I believe though where you can post such news.
My mistake brother, il request the mods too move it.

We aspire to be a great Islamic country like yours. :tup: We have a long way to go but inshallah we will next century.

All Muslim countries have good and bad sides. KSA is no different. The most important thing for Afghanistan is security and thus prosperity then the rest will come. And a strong leadership that is not getting used by neighbors or outsiders.

Dude are you a karlnari,a highlander? if not... really a "Pathan"..​

Dude are you a karlnari,a highlander? if not... really a "Pathan"..​
I'm a Orakzai from who the first branch of Kalnari descend. Not that I care much for this tribal/clan stuff. Pathan is Pathan.

wish afghan brothers success and prosperity .

hope we can help afghanistan rebuild itself

امیدوارم پیروز باشید
Thank you brother, congratulations on your countries recent good news. Hope to see Irans economy explode, maybe I will visit one day.

I'm a Orakzai from who the first branch of Kalnari descend. Not that I care much for this tribal/clan stuff. Pathan is Pathan.

Thank you brother, congratulations on your countries recent good news. Hope to see Irans economy explode, maybe I will visit one day.

Quetta is full of Orakzais.. anyways... welcome to Pak defence forum..

Not only Afghanistan but the whole region could improve with more education. Our KPK Province and Balochistan Province next door to next door to Afghanistan have same issues of low levels of literacy. We hope we can resolve these problems through convincing the Population of these areas to send their sons and daughters to schools ( especially the girls ). Most People in these backward areas of Pakistan and Pashtoon areas of Afghanistan believe that education of Girls beyond reading Quran is waste of time and destroys their character. They believe that the place for woman is the four walls of the house and so why waste time for educating women. The problem is that half of every country Population is female and so we have Societies in these countries who are predominantly uneducated.

These attitudes have to change if these countries have to progress and move to present century.

looking forward to your visit !! i hope i can also visit the beautiful landscapes of afghanistan too .

anyway there is no border between iran and its brother afghanistan . we are almost the same people .

welcome aboard and i hope u enjoy your stay .

looking forward to your visit !! i hope i can also visit the beautiful landscapes of afghanistan too .

anyway there is no border between iran and its brother afghanistan . we are almost the same people .

welcome aboard and i hope u enjoy your stay .
I hope in your and mine lifetime that my homeland is safe for you too visit. Maybe in the next few decades...

Done, and welcome to PDF.
Thank you bro.

Back
Top Bottom