What's new

Is cheating in exams a sin? Can it be considered haraam?

Today I was invigilating in a hall where 9Th and 10 th class girls were taking their exams...half the class room had Muslim girls who were taking special Telugu exam (special Telugu is a subject which is easier than regular telugu taken by students who are a bit poor at Telugu..
Generally Muslims take regular Telugu)..I found some students were murmuring ..I shouted at them and made them quiet..after a while I found another girl peeping into the answer sheet of the girl who was sitting in front of her ..I warned the girl and gave them a lecture...I said they were cheating their parents as their parents think that the marks their children scored were done through their hard work...in a way they were fooling their parents...I added that it is haraam and a big sin to copy...would Allah be pleased with such acts? What is the use of doing namaz and fasting during ramzan if they indulge in such acts?

One girl's face turned red and stood to protest..She said, " Sir, why are you dragging God into such a trivial matter ? What is the need of using such heavy words?"..actually that was what I wanted..I wanted to hit them where it hurt the most..this was not the first time I talked like this...even in one other school I did the same.

As I have a close and jovial relation with those girls, they don't take such matters to heart.
But my doubt is shouldn't cheating in exam be considered haram and a sin?

You deserve a medal. Showing people their religion is definitely bitter but what other way will they understand. They are already cheating their way through school, I doubt their comprehension skills will play any part in their development at that moment let alone later in life.

It is complete sin.You did an amazing job by talking to them like this and to knock some sense into them.I appreciate your sincerity.

regards
Invigilator's job is not to deliver lectures but to take action against the cheating students as per examination rules and regulations. Shouting or lecturing students in the middle of the exam is poor invigilation as it would disturb other students and break their tempo.

Taking back answering sheet from the student and rendering them failed or even disqualified would send stronger and longer lasting message than telling them what religion says about cheating.

Taking back answering sheet from the student and rendering them failed or even disqualified would send stronger and longer lasting message than telling them what religion says about cheating.
That doesn't work here...our principal herself tells us even if take the answer sheet like that,it should be given back to the student after sometime....she says parents would come and complain and make a big show...moreover a school is a big business here..we should see to it that as many students are passed as possible....what happens is if students fail in tests,they would leave the school which is a dent in its income...moreover such students parents may do bad propaganda about school.

There is a lot of competition among private schools; so no school would conduct exams(like unit tests and term tests) fairly.

The school education system has gone to dogs in India..Govt has strictly ordered all centre and state recognised schools to promote every child to next class even if he fails in all subjects provided he has 70 percent attendance...we have board exams in 10 th and there also because of mass cheating and lenient evaluating we get very good results.Very few school students take exams seriously.

You will be surprised to find a tenth class pass out who can't even tell how much is 5X5...and who can't read a line in his mother tongue without a mistake.

Last edited:
You deserve a medal. Showing people their religion is definitely bitter but what other way will they understand. They are already cheating their way through school, I doubt their comprehension skills will play any part in their development at that moment let alone later in life.

It was result declaration day; I was in third standard, waiting outside the classroom with my friend while his and my parents perused the answer sheets. After a while, out came his parents, and registered a sharp, and unquestionably humiliating slap across his physiognomy. His fault: He'd scored 94%, and was second in class. The topper had managed to score 97%. In effect, he'd received that slap for a mere 3%.

So long as there is such a high price to pay for even the smallest of margins, cheating will thrive.It's unfair to make generalizations or assertions about someone's skills (or the lack of it).

It was result declaration day; I was in third standard, waiting outside the classroom with my friend while his and my parents perused the answer sheets. After a while, out came his parents, and registered a sharp, and unquestionably humiliating slap across his physiognomy. His fault: He'd scored 94%, and was second in class. The topper had managed to score 97%. In effect, he'd received that slap for a mere 3%.

So long as there is such a high price to pay for even the smallest of margins, cheating will thrive.It's unfair to make generalizations or assertions about someone's skills (or the lack of it).

I have always been a strong backer of the theory that this subcontinent is in the crapper because of our forefathers and their children.

Because of parents like that and to reduce the burden from children government has come up with various plans...like creative writing etc to eliminate the aspect of mugging up answers; to promote students to the next class regardless of their performance(instructing evaluators of even tenth class to evaluate the papers in the most liberal way).

But the thing is it has backfired...a student comes to tenth class without even knowing fifth table and Even manages to pass it through cheating and liberal evaluation.

It is a bad idea to compromise with the standard of education of a child simply because he may have to put up with pressure from parents and children.

It is not their fault. If they have a duffer teacher like you then who on earth can be intelligent. The way you daily open 2-3 idiotic meaningless posts speak volume about you and your mental level.
That is really bad,you have no right to judge him unless you don't meet him in real life.

regards

That is really bad,you have no right to judge him unless you don't meet him in real life.

regards
I ignored him mate..you too ignore him...I wrote the reason how a child who doesn't even know basics of maths enters tenth standard and how he is able to pass it in the above post...

Invigilator's job is not to deliver lectures but to take action against the cheating students as per examination rules and regulations. Shouting or lecturing students in the middle of the exam is poor invigilation as it would disturb other students and break their tempo.

Not always,my teachers are very strict in this regard and they -5 in case of observing student's attempt to cheat.
How many examination papers have you snatched? :D
Regards

The most annoying thing while u are writing an exam ad someone nearby is chatting with other students or whatever the heck lecturing and stuff. Duh!!!ppl dont even know that.

I was once taking an exam and this teacher went weird ,he started coming to each chair and wud ask u do u need extra sheet.man didnt u wnat to punch him @syedali73

How many examination papers have you snatched? :D
Regards
I teach MS (by course work or mixed mode), MBBS, and MMed students and obviously invigilate them too. In Malaysia, there is no such thing as cheating. I have not experienced in past 5 years at-least.

The most annoying thing while u are writing an exam ad someone nearby is chatting with other students or whatever the heck lecturing and stuff. Duh!!!ppl dont even know that.
I was once taking an exam and this teacher went weird ,he started coming to each chair and wud ask u do u need extra sheet.man didnt u wnat to punch him @syedali73
Poor invigilation. He was attention seeker, trying to tell others that he is in-charge and should be noticed.

There has always been 'good' schools and 'other' schools in India. Good schools do not allow devaluation of education. Other schools produce great numbers in low to medium quality.

BUT in the last 10/15 years education has become much more commercialized in India. I see schools, colleges and even professional colleges for engineering popping up in every little town. Most of them seem to be owned by politicians and their chamchas. There is no way India can produce half as many qualified teachers as will have been required by the number of schools and colleges that sprung up thusly. Copying, watering down of requirements, weighing non-core and non-academic activities wantonly too much etc will ensure short term continuance of these schools but in the long run, unless they reform, they cannot survive.

This is already visible. I read somewhere that over 100,000 engineering seats went unfilled this year in just one state (Tamil Nadu) which apparently has over 500 engg colleges now (out if a total of around 3000 countrywide!).

If in near future we find an engineer pumping gas it may not be because of job availability but due to skill match

Back
Top Bottom