What's new

Is all hope lost for the future of Pakistan?

After completing my bachelors degree in mid 90's, I returned to Pakistan as a fresh faced graduate full of hope and optimism. A very hot and uncomfortable work environment greeted me when I started work in Karachi with a foreign bank. Reason: Mr 10% wanted to squeeze the owner of our building who did not budge so our office electricity was cut off. We had a generator but that could not support all the A/Cs so we sat for three months sweating profusely until a bigger generator was installed.

Later, our bank lined up a powerful foreign client who was interested in investing in KESC. On the morning of the investor meeting, KESC MD was shot because he did not want to pay bhatta to MQM. Rather embarrassed, we told the client that MD was sick and could not have a meeting. Then, our office was shut down for three days after we got MQM chithee. Few years later I got to know the son of the KESC MD. Son had to escape abroad because the family refused to take away the charges despite MQM threat. The son returned back to Karachi few years back and currently works as a police officer in Karachi. Wonder how he feels about return of Altaf who currently enjoys full protection of British state which played a significant role in bringing down the government of IK.

Violence was endemic in Karachi in late 90's. I knew the family of Zardari's crony in the steel mills. When Zardari was arrested, government forced the father to turned into an approver, Zaradri had his friend killed. I still remember the terror the family felt when they got those threating phone calls. I also happened to pass by the dau talwar round about when Mir Murtaza Bhutto was bumped off. By strange coincidence, in the 90's, couple of judges who were trying Zardari for corruption also found themselves under a hail of bullets. Even before marriage, Zardari was a well known ghunda. He shot someone in the lobby of Holiday Inn hotel in mid-80s and the incident became talk of the school because Karachi was peaceful in those days so incidence of violence raised quite an eyebrow. Things had changed by late 90s when violence got so bad that government had to shut down mobile network for two years. Father of classmate, PSO MD, was also shot some say for sectarian reasons; others claim it was bhatta khori.

https://www.indiatoday.in/latest-he...in-1996-judicial-murder-case-23880-2008-03-24

In the midst we also had the following act performed by our erstwhile champions of adaliya and supremacy of constitution.

Jehangir Karamat could have nipped this in the bud but he chose buzdilli in face of ghadari and we still deal with consequences.

By late 90's, I had enough. The country was bankrupt and sliding towards violence and anarchy. I went back to the promised land swearing never to return. Situation turned around after I left but then same goons with the help of Taliban Khan conspired again. End result was massive violence through the hands of TTP while politicians sat there dithering until APS happened and Raheel Sharif did the impossible. He put the dunda over politicians and over TTP and we breathe again.

Point of my story is that there have been periods where Pakistan has experienced far worst turmoil. When army chiefs displayed buzdilli and tolerated anarchy (Karamat, Kiani and Bajwa) things turned to hell. But others stepped up and got the country out of the mire due to kurtooths of politicians with IK playing a big part.

Compared to what I have experienced, country is in a relatively better shape. But situation is likely to get worse. But as in the past, army will step up. And next time anjaam will be different. Things will get better.

After completing my bachelors degree in mid 90's, I returned to Pakistan as a fresh faced graduate full of hope and optimism. A very hot and uncomfortable work environment greeted me when I started work in Karachi with a foreign bank. Reason: Mr 10% wanted to squeeze the owner of our building who did not budge so our office electricity was cut off. We had a generator but that could not support all the A/Cs so we sat for three months sweating profusely until a bigger generator was installed.

Later, our bank lined up a powerful foreign client who was interested in investing in KESC. On the morning of the investor meeting, KESC MD was shot because he did not want to pay bhatta to MQM. Rather embarrassed, we told the client that MD was sick and could not have a meeting. Then, our office was shut down for three days after we got MQM chithee. Few years later I got to know the son of the KESC MD. Son had to escape abroad because the family refused to take away the charges despite MQM threat. The son returned back to Karachi few years back and currently works as a police officer in Karachi. Wonder how he feels about return of Altaf who currently enjoys full protection of British state which played a significant role in bringing down the government of IK.

Violence was endemic in Karachi in late 90's. I knew the family of Zardari's crony in the steel mills. When Zardari was arrested, government forced the father to turned into an approver, Zaradri had his friend killed. I still remember the terror the family felt when they got those threating phone calls. I also happened to pass by the dau talwar round about when Mir Murtaza Bhutto was bumped off. By strange coincidence, in the 90's, couple of judges who were trying Zardari for corruption also found themselves under a hail of bullets. Even before marriage, Zardari was a well known ghunda. He shot someone in the lobby of Holiday Inn hotel in mid-80s and the incident became talk of the school because Karachi was peaceful in those days so incidence of violence raised quite an eyebrow. Things had changed by late 90s when violence got so bad that government had to shut down mobile network for two years. Father of classmate, PSO MD, was also shot some say for sectarian reasons; others claim it was bhatta khori.

https://www.indiatoday.in/latest-he...in-1996-judicial-murder-case-23880-2008-03-24

In the midst we also had the following act performed by our erstwhile champions of adaliya and supremacy of constitution.

Jehangir Karamat could have nipped this in the bud but he chose buzdilli in face of ghadari and we still deal with consequences.

By late 90's, I had enough. The country was bankrupt and sliding towards violence and anarchy. I went back to the promised land swearing never to return. Situation turned around after I left but then same goons with the help of Taliban Khan conspired again. End result was massive violence through the hands of TTP while politicians sat there dithering until APS happened and Raheel Sharif did the impossible. He put the dunda over politicians and over TTP and we breathe again.

Point of my story is that there have been periods where Pakistan has experienced far worst turmoil. When army chiefs displayed buzdilli and tolerated anarchy (Karamat, Kiani and Bajwa) things turned to hell. But others stepped up and got the country out of the mire due to kurtooths of politicians with IK playing a big part.

Compared to what I have experienced, country is in a relatively better shape. But situation is likely to get worse. But as in the past, army will step up. And next time anjaam will be different. Things will get better.
Bhai people here have lost all hope, they're saying country will break up? Is there nothing that can be done?

Bhai people here have lost all hope, they're saying country will break up? Is there nothing that can be done?

First, unlike 20 years ago situation in the west is changing. There are going to be less opportunities for Pakistanis going abroad. We see significant backlash against immigrants in most Western countries. Problem is going to get much worse when economic problems increase. Therefore Pakistanis will have less choices unless China can provide opportunities.

Second, I think despite all the criticism, IK has left the country in a good shape. I shudder to think the horror country would have gone through had Zardari or Nawaz handling the pandemic. Even in a place like UK, politicians have made hundreds of millions by getting involved in COVID contracts. No such accusations are standing over IK's government.

Country is also not dealing with violence although it is debatable if that can continue because I see a reprise of what happened in Karachi in the 90's. Upcoming government will obviously not last but question is what happens next? Post Musharraf, arrangement was that parties can steal as much as they want. IK upset the arrangement so that changes political calculus and attempts will be made to sideline IK forever.

But pro-Pakistan forces will find a way. Either IK fights back or army steps in. Not all army generals are like Kiyani or Bajwa. When things get out of hand, someone will step up. And next time slate will be wiped clean. There is too much at stake.

First, unlike 20 years ago situation in the west is changing. There are going to be less opportunities for Pakistanis going abroad. We see significant backlash against immigrants in most Western countries. Problem is going to get much worse when economic problems increase. Therefore Pakistanis will have less choices unless China can provide opportunities.

Second, I think despite all the criticism, IK has left the country in a good shape. I shudder to think the horror country would have gone through had Zardari or Nawaz handling the pandemic. Even in a place like UK, politicians have made hundreds of millions by getting involved in COVID contracts. No such accusations are standing over IK's government.

Country is also not dealing with violence although it is debatable if that can continue because I see a reprise of what happened in Karachi in the 90's. Upcoming government will obviously not last but question is what happens next? Post Musharraf, arrangement was that parties can steal as much as they want. IK upset the arrangement so that changes political calculus and attempts will be made to sideline IK forever.

But pro-Pakistan forces will find a way. Either IK fights back or army steps in. Not all army generals are like Kiyani or Bajwa. When things get out of hand, someone will step up. And next time slate will be wiped clean. There is too much at stake.
How long will it take for someone to step up? Will IK be back with 2/3 majority any time soon, will there be martial law anytime soon? Do you think seperatism will increase, I'm really worried about this particularly, could there be a repeat of 1971?

1649425149006.png

Allah America dollar. Yes, it's better to leave Pakistan now. I think many stayed in Pakistan because they wanted to see democracy this time but the same drama happened again. If you look at other democracies, you will see that they work differently compared to ours. Our democracy is basically the Kingdom of elites, the kingdom of the establishment. We blame Zardari, Nawaz, and others but in reality, nobody was ever allowed to work and nobody was allowed to take matters into their own hands.
Politicians are like puppets to them. Tomorrow they will select another politician to replace Imran khan and this will continue. There are many who can't even visit Pakistan because they write facts about the establishment. I always argued and call those journalists traitors but I think, they are all right.

We can't change this system. I feel sorry for the Pak airforce and Navy because they aren't allowed to make their own decisions as well. India is our bitter enemy but today I agree with most of the members from India who repeatedly told us about the presence of the establishment. We thought they are maligning our image.

I read somewhere that a general in India tried to build up forces near Rajasthan, operation Brasstacks. Rajiv Gandhi fired him and sacked him. India is real democracy. Here you fear for your life like regular bomb blasts, jihadi attacks, political parties with weapons, and religious parties with live ammunition inside mosques. This is Quaid e Azam Pakistan. even Quaid urged the establishment to stay away and play their role in defending Pakistan. Capital changed from Karachi to Islamabad and East Pakistan was ruined.

look at Balochistan now! Anyway thank you all for supporting Imran khan. one day, we will defeat this system and break the chains. Maybe after 20 or 30 years but I think I will not be alive to see powerful Pakistan. as a kid, I used to see fighter jets. I think there is no point now. You can do anything in Pakistan now. Money buys everything here. Very sad but true.
Establishment did not pass the ruling, the SCP did. Some facts will help deconstructing the mountain of accusations in your post.

Yup, all lost. Time to move to green pastures where your skills are rewarded and not just wasted.

Establishment did not pass the ruling, the SCP did. Some facts will help deconstructing the mountain of accusations in your post.
I am not a 5-year-old kid. Anyway, I don't care about politics now. People have seen the reality. This country is under siege. there is no doubt about that.
What's next? well, things will improve. The economy will improve. The United States will give something in return. People will become happy that the country is improving. Actually, people now see the reality so it doesn't matter what I say or what others say. Pakistan was never a democratic country and still, it's not a democracy at all. It's a kingdom where they collect sales tax from the public so that they can send their families abroad. I have so many things to say but again, there is no point. They do whatever they wanted to do. They always win.

Last edited:
What hope ? When the corrupt system like ECP ( Horse trading) is approved by the law, then what do you expect for the future, hope is a illusion for those who have to live in Pakistan, the lucky ones left it or are leaving if they can afford, END OF STORY — enough said !

Don't lose hope Pakistani brothers. These are temporary trials that Allah tests us with.

Count in Allah's Mehrbaani and Quiet Sabr as the principle.

Insha-Allah things will turn, they always do. Bangladesh was in these situations many, many times before.

The entire global Muslim community is looking out for you with sincere prayers in the holy Month of Ramadan.

I think it's game over. That's my vote. Only the azab of Allah may wake this dead corrupt rotten corpse.

The choice was damned if you do or damned if you dont. Basically our choice is Die quickly with honor and dignity (IK-PTI) or die slowly with humiliation and indignity (motley crew)

My guess is that Pakistani Establishment is trying to hedge its positions, concerning the volatile and transitionary geopolitical climate.

I think its understandable to some degree.
As someone here mentioned earlier, @Hakikat ve Hikmet ? there may be some major geopolical uvheaval going on behind the scenes, with Russia and China trying to wreste away the power of USD and US position as single superpower. But Pakistan sense that this could go either way so its best to not make anyone angry and let the storm settle before going all inn.

If US stays sole superpower and China-Russia is significantly diminished, Pakistan would have to say good bye to Imran Khan like leader for a long long time. But if a true multipolar world emerges within a few years. Imran Khan or someone who takes up his visions and ideas, will come to power and Pakistan will be a more independent country with significantly more space for manouver.

Dont loose hope, stay strong

Back
Top Bottom