What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

Do you have any info on what this homemade airborne radar is.

Thanks

From what I have read, there are two homegrown radars in IRIAF currently being used

(1) SAIRAN Bayyenat-II on Kowsar-I which is an exact replica of Leonardo Grifo-346. Count the T/R modules, and arrays and see the oscillator and processing units. It is a ditto system. It is the most modern radar in the Grifo series except for their Grifo-E AESA. It has an ECM, look-down shoot-down, and high-resolution SAR (better than IRBIS E of SU-35S). The Max tracking range is 94 KM for a 1 m2 target while search range is well into 120 KM enevelope. The radar was shown at Kish airshow and then again at Kowsar's unveiling.

My own take (Assumption): It is a TOT from Chinese CATIC who got Italian Grifo radars secretly through an under-the-table deal for developing their own local NRIET KLJ series for their light fighters such as KLJ-6E for J-7E/BG series, KLJ-7 for FC-1/JF-17, and KLJ-7A AESA. We know CATIC was in Iran for years working on Azarakhsh and they installed Sy-80 FCR of J-7N on Azaraksh. For project Silk Route-II, it is quite possible that TOT of a modern Chinese replica of Grifo-346 landed in Iran. I would have a hard time believing Italians will give something to Iran directly and get away with it right under NATO's nose.

Kowsar-I's Radar
Kowsar-page-0002.jpg

Leonardo Grifo-346
img08-019-01.jpg

2041a8ca-daeb-6330-a938-7f57cac6096b

The capabilities (taken from Grifo's brochure) are written on the left side.

Kowsar-page-0003.jpg

(1) SAIRAN Bayyenat-I on Dowran F-4E/D. Pulse Doppler FCR with 100+ KM tracking range for surface-bound targets atleast. It can track maritime targets at long range for Ghader/Nasr AShCM. The foreign origin seems to be missing, could very well be an indigenous design based on blue prints of APQ-120???

DtAAU13WoAA9Xjb

FulBezyWYAAoBUf

They are OK systems for the start. IRIAF needs local AESA with a track range into 140+ KM zone for long-range BVR attack. That is where the world in moving. These pulse doppler radars were good in 2000s but not anymore

From what I have read, there are two homegrown radars in IRIAF currently being used

(1) SAIRAN Bayyenat-II on Kowsar-I which is an exact replica of Leonardo Grifo-346. Count the T/R modules, and arrays and see the oscillator and processing units. It is a ditto system. It is the most modern radar in the Grifo series except for their Grifo-E AESA. It has an ECM, look-down shoot-down, and high-resolution SAR (better than IRBIS E of SU-35S). The Max tracking range is 94 KM for a 1 m2 target while search range is well into 120 KM enevelope. The radar was shown at Kish airshow and then again at Kowsar's unveiling.

My own take (Assumption): It is a TOT from Chinese CATIC who got Italian Grifo radars secretly through an under-the-table deal for developing their own local NRIET KLJ series for their light fighters such as KLJ-6E for J-7E/BG series, KLJ-7 for FC-1/JF-17, and KLJ-7A AESA. We know CATIC was in Iran for years working on Azarakhsh and they installed Sy-80 FCR of J-7N on Azaraksh. For project Silk Route-II, it is quite possible that TOT of a modern Chinese replica of Grifo-346 landed in Iran. I would have a hard time believing Italians will give something to Iran directly and get away with it right under NATO's nose.

Kowsar-I's Radar
Kowsar-page-0002.jpg

Leonardo Grifo-346
img08-019-01.jpg

Kowsar-page-0003.jpg

(1) SAIRAN Bayyenat-I on Dowran F-4E/D. Pulse Doppler FCR with 100+ KM tracking range for surface-bound targets atleast. It can track maritime targets at long range for Ghader/Nasr AShCM. The foreign origin seems to be missing, could very well be an indigenous design based on blue prints of APQ-120???

DtAAU13WoAA9Xjb

FulBezyWYAAoBUf

They are OK systems for the start. IRIAF needs local AESA with a track range into 140+ KM zone for long-range BVR attack. That is where the world in moving. These pulse doppler radars were good in 2000s but not anymore
Thanks for the post. Good stuff.

The tracking range (140km) is very near to what I also thought (~150 km), to accommodate LR BVR missiles. I estimated that a detection range equal to or less than 200km should suffice.

An AESA FCR is just about mandatory considering what the probable opposition is flying 'up there'.

Such a radar will bring Iran in line with other indigenous AESA FCR radar in service, or under development, in that region, viz Israel, Turkey and Pakistan.

P

Thanks for the post. Good stuff.

Thanks

The tracking range (140km) is very near to what I also thought (~150 km), to accommodate LR BVR missiles. I estimated that a detection range equal to or less than 200km should suffice.

The problem is, F-4E/D even with the Dowran upgrade has no BVR missile to use. I read on key.aero that they tried fitting Fakour-90 on Dowran F-4/E but that made the plane barely able to pull 3 Gs. Mind you F-4 itself has an RCS of +10 m^2. With such huge Fakour's and it not being able to maneuver around it will become useless for F-4E to have Fakour-90

Iran needs a smaller LR-BVR missile like Meteor/PL-15. The best bet will be to acquire R-77AE which is shorter range than Meteor but a Kowsar-I can easily provide CAP with 2 x Fatter/Azarakhsh All Aspect WVR + 2 x R-77AE. That is the minimum help IRIAF can provide the IADS.

An AESA FCR is just about mandatory considering what the probable opposition is flying 'up there'.

Right now AESA is not that common in Iranian neighborhoods on low RCS aircraft. Among nations bordering Iran, only few Qatari Rafale has AESA radars. But with time, UAE will have their own fleet of Rafale T4 with AESA, and Saudis might upgrade their EF-2000 with the Captor-E AESA system. Turkey may eventually receive the F-35 etc so these Iranian Bayyenat-I/II systems will become obsolete very quickly. For now, Kowsar-I is the most advanced thing IRIAF has electronically but even a fully armed one with BVR its just a stop gap for 5 years at max. IRIAF will need Kowsar-II with a turbofan and AESA radar in post-2025 world of aviation.

Such a radar will bring Iran in line with other indigenous AESA FCR radar in service, or under development, in that region, viz Israel, Turkey and Pakistan.

P

Israel with EL/M 2052 and Turkey with its MURAD AESA yes. Pakistan has no AESA production, their KLJ-7A comes from NRIET CATIC China.

IMG_20230605_235630_443.jpg

IMG_20230605_235630_465.jpg

IMG_20230605_235609_663.jpg

F-4 Upgrade,I posted already these images few years ago,but I dont remember is it here. From anntena and cocpit MFD & MMC we can get a lot information,dont have time now,I will post some insight tomorow.

Small Precision guided munition seen on Kowsar:
Fx3uqSaX0AAMMT0
Yes,we`ve seen that a few times now,but sadly still no data at all on it.

7700.png

It looks to be the iriaf version of the sdb,only smaller.
GTGCE2K2GRB2JNJF3Z7PS3724Y.jpg

Heres the us sdb,looks to be a bit of a size difference.

Do you have any info on what this homemade airborne radar is.

Thanks

Kowsar-I's Radar
Kowsar-page-0002.jpg

Leonardo Grifo-346
img08-019-01.jpg

Kowsar-page-0003.jpg

DtAAU13WoAA9Xjb

FulBezyWYAAoBUf

I think that i am to be blamed for inaccurate translation. The brigadier general said, new airborne radar is tested and it will be installed on Iranian fighter jets. My apologies

Thanks to @drmeson for his informative and insightful post. I think the mentioned radar is not operational yet, despite the fact that it has passed initial tests.

Small Precision guided munition seen on Kowsar:
Fx3uqSaX0AAMMT0

Thanks

The problem is, F-4E/D even with the Dowran upgrade has no BVR missile to use. I read on key.aero that they tried fitting Fakour-90 on Dowran F-4/E but that made the plane barely able to pull 3 Gs. Mind you F-4 itself has an RCS of +10 m^2. With such huge Fakour's and it not being able to maneuver around it will become useless for F-4E to have Fakour-90

Iran needs a smaller LR-BVR missile like Meteor/PL-15. The best bet will be to acquire R-77AE which is shorter range than Meteor but a Kowsar-I can easily provide CAP with 2 x Fatter/Azarakhsh All Aspect WVR + 2 x R-77AE. That is the minimum help IRIAF can provide the IADS.

Right now AESA is not that common in Iranian neighborhoods on low RCS aircraft. Among nations bordering Iran, only few Qatari Rafale has AESA radars. But with time, UAE will have their own fleet of Rafale T4 with AESA, and Saudis might upgrade their EF-2000 with the Captor-E AESA system. Turkey may eventually receive the F-35 etc so these Iranian Bayyenat-I/II systems will become obsolete very quickly. For now, Kowsar-I is the most advanced thing IRIAF has electronically but even a fully armed one with BVR its just a stop gap for 5 years at max. IRIAF will need Kowsar-II with a turbofan and AESA radar in post-2025 world of aviation.

Israel with EL/M 2052 and Turkey with its MURAD AESA yes. Pakistan has no AESA production, their KLJ-7A comes from NRIET CATIC China.
F-4E/D -> Dowran -> Fakour. Good thought, sadly the physics were just not on.

Smaller LR-BVR missile like Meteor/PL-15. Been hoping to see this like forever. Closest that I saw of this was the 'Red' AIM-7E2 revealed last year. My initial skepticism was however put on the back burner when I saw the Pakistani FAAZ-2 LR-BVR concept at https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/paf-revamped-air-defense-alert-system.451267/page-43 . Doubt whether Turkey will soon get F-35, at least, not while Erdoğan is president.

Kowsar-1 will be a good springboard to Kowsar-11. T/Fan, AESA, LR-BVR AAM's, c 2025 concurrent E-Warfare suite, etc. The IRIAF will have to make haste though, as 2025+ isn't too far into the future.

ASEA ... Agreed. I see ASEA airborne FCR's as the weeds of aerial combat. If you haven't got them yet, you soon will. What I have about Pakistan AESA development is at: https://propakistani.pk/2022/03/24/paf-to-unveil-locally-made-stealth-radars-for-fighter-jets/

Smaller LR-BVR missile like Meteor/PL-15. Been hoping to see this like forever. Closest that I saw of this was the 'Red' AIM-7E2 revealed last year. My initial skepticism was however put on the back burner when I saw the Pakistani FAAZ-2 LR-BVR concept at https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/paf-revamped-air-defense-alert-system.451267/page-43 . Doubt whether Turkey will soon get F-35, at least, not while Erdoğan is president.

Kowsar-1 will be a good springboard to Kowsar-11. T/Fan, AESA, LR-BVR AAM's, c 2025 concurrent E-Warfare suite, etc. The IRIAF will have to make haste though, as 2025+ isn't too far into the future.

ASEA ... Agreed. I see ASEA airborne FCR's as the weeds of aerial combat. If you haven't got them yet, you soon will. What I have about Pakistan AESA development is at: https://propakistani.pk/2022/03/24/paf-to-unveil-locally-made-stealth-radars-for-fighter-jets/

grad__1_-removebg-preview.png~2.jpg

We have only Ground Based AESA
No news about Air borne AESA yet

Is it possible one of the reasons Russia is stalling on delivering Su-35 to Iran is because they don't want to give the US the casus belli to provide F-16s to Ukraine? If this were the case then we can forget any delivery.

I think that i am to be blamed for inaccurate translation. The brigadier general said, new airborne radar is tested and it will be installed on Iranian fighter jets. My apologies

Hopefully it is SAIRAN's TOT of Grifo-E's/NRIET KLJ-7A AESA

Realistically They are just gonna show Bayyenat-II (Grifo-346) or Dowran's radar and call it a new product. In the official slides of mashreghnews or IRNA, they gave the x band FCR with a tracking range of 94 KM which fits the bill.

Thanks to @drmeson for his informative and insightful post. I think the mentioned radar is not operational yet, despite the fact that it has passed initial tests.

Thanks man.

Phantom is a flying brick and a bomb truck at best. Even if the plane would have been pulling 5+ G's with Fakour-90 it will still be in jeopardy with its massive RCS and inherent low maneuverability.

Smaller LR-BVR missile like Meteor/PL-15. Been hoping to see this like forever. Closest that I saw of this was the 'Red' AIM-7E2 revealed last year. My initial skepticism was however put on the back burner when I saw the Pakistani FAAZ-2 LR-BVR concept at https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/paf-revamped-air-defense-alert-system.451267/page-43.

Yes knowing the classical work done on Fakour-90 with local modern SARH/ARH seeker, ECM, local motor and its extended range, I would have no doubt that Iranian AIM-7E2 will be something in class of R-77AE.

There are two routes to this, wait for SU-35S arrival and rumored MIG-29SMT upgrade so that with them come a bunch of R-77AE (may be upto 600-700) so Kowsar-I/II can share it the arsenal or go for local LR-BVR other than Fakour-90 which is too heavy for anything other than F-14AM.

Doubt whether Turkey will soon get F-35, at least, not while Erdoğan is president.

Turkey will sit in the American lap very fast if Serbia-Kosovo front opens up. They have huge debt and inflation, this will be an opportunity for Erdogan to re-enter the west.

Kowsar-II needs a strong Turbofan like AL-31F, AESA in a class of Grifo-E, R-77AE/local AIM-7E2 integration with much talked about HMD by SIARAN. Kowsar-I already has ECM+Jammer, SAR, Double Duplex Datalink, modern nav-comm, FBW. All it needs is more power and AESA.

They get their AESA on FC-1 Block-3 from NRIET China.

View attachment 933165
We have only Ground Based AESA
No news about Air borne AESA yet
Concur IFAIK. What's possibly hiding from public view at the moment is of course similarly unknown.

Its seems all the Defense Commemorative days In Iran have passed.

Was hoping the such a system (airborne), would have been unveiled at (such) a grand event.

Well back to the waiting game.

P

Back
Top Bottom