What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

This is the only thing I was unsure about. Can centrifuge sites handle multiple tac nuclear bunker busters....

Centrifuge unground sites are a lot more sensitive to vibrations than a aircraft/drone/missile underground site.

Nuclear weapons are off the table. Even for nutty Zionists. It opens a can of worms that no one wants. Not even Putin used tactical nukes in Ukraine.

Natanz is also being expanded into the adjacent mountain which appears to have even a larger depth than Fordow.

Yes that will be the new centrifuge workshop and assembly factory that was destroyed. As well it will contain large halls for eventually Irans IR-9 and IR-10. Allowing Iran to go nuclear in days if it so chooses since we are talking about improvement to 50-100 SWU per centrifuge! Much more than the ~5 SWU we currently have with IR-4.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you were talking about putting whole runways underground. :D

Check @Arash1991 last post. North Korea has underground runway. I believe Taiwan and China do as well. Thus it’s natural Iran eventually will.

Remember this is 1st Gen underground airbase used primarily for singular purpose.

The air superiority underground airbases have not been built yet to house SU-35 and eventual Iranian air superiority fighter (10+ years from now).

sometimes i have the feeling that some users here are waiting for the perfect unassailable system that will never exist. The fact is that if iran really is in a direct military conflict with the usa, that means that iran will also take damage. some comments already come across as if they have the expectation that all bunkers in iran will always hold, the air defenses are impenetrable and only iran will dish it out and the usa will not know what they are doing and somehow survive. but the truth is that iran will have to take a hit, and iran will have to take a hit in the course of a potential war, that planning will not go as expected, etc. the question here is not how much you can dish out, but how much you can take and whether you can keep fighting.
It'll throw us decades back. Alot of infrastructure, especially expensive infrastructure will be subject to targeting. In the end, their is really no "winning" in the sense that only 1 country has been targeted in their land, while the other is without a scratch. Technically Russia may lose the war (although I doubt), but its whole country remains without a scratch. Such a conflict should be strongly avoided if possible.

The only mentions of "GBU28" and "Iran" "Bunkers" "Nuclear" "Iran GBU28/GBU-28" and every other similar tags that shows up on google search, the results that appears are, ironically your post here on Defence.pk, and other users on Zionist phpbb made forums. No studies, not even a single person with credible military experience shows up, neither even a mention on credible military outlets neither even on Israel and western propaganda outlets.

So, this bomb which has seen extensive use as a propaganda tool on internet referring to how it would "Easily destroy Hezbollah" and some Israeli trolls on their own hugbox forums, and on Israeli and Western outlets, which has only an operational history in asymmetric wars against Hamas and other Palestine groups and Saddam dead groups, would destroy an underground airbase from a legitimate country like that?

I mention that this bomb was used to into talks about Iranian underground nuclear sites and not airbases, which are probably massively protected already.
Only useful for destroying some poor guys load bearing foundation for his apartment building in Gaza. Otherwise, not useful for Iran. Theirs some serious lack of knowledge about just how well fortified things are in Iran

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong, but looks like theirs quite a bit of erosion at the entrance arch. Base can't be considered "New' right? Might be several years old.

Followed by F-35's and B-2's in short order carrying the heavy ordinance required to penetrate these deeply dug in nuclear facilities. If this does not work, ultimately B-52's. I doubt however whether valuable, irreplaceable B-52's, will be involved.
This is why their was serious rage about Iran acquiring some S-300PMU2 batteries, prior to that their were only S-200 which not sufficient for very high altitude threat which was also a dire vulnerability for Iran.

With the advent of Su-35 acquisition, I expect S-400s to be accompanied with them with the separate Bavar-373 development on going to really cement some independence in this area

can not expect this certain base remain operational against those so called f-22, or B-2
you must decide its against f-15 and mirage 2000 or its against f-22.
hiding interepors there is like saddam burying its aircraft , that base is only good for f-4 and su-34 nombers.interceptors must be launched on seconds notice , just think how long it take to launch interceptors from that base
As per our own experience, F-4s are baits of IRIAF. However, if we give that role to big drones it would be much better. But as of now, phantoms play the role of strike fighter jets of IRIAF. They don't that much capability to intercept cruise missiles. They should remain prepared for hitting deep inside carrier group of enemy forces. They will be hit too but they will use long range cruise missiles to inflict maximum damage on American carrier group. They shouldn't remain in reserve in the war scenario.

F-14s and other interceptors must remain untouched after an enemy surprise attack. Operate from Isfahan and deep inside Iran to keep skies safe behind ground based air defense systems. Missile forces will play the destructive role against American bases.

So, i see no point in hiding F-4s inside underground airbases. Maybe IRIAF is playing with their minds, they won't unveil their tactics like that.

Taiwan

and china still building more of these bases....and most recent one is in iran. Why do you need confirmation from other countries? you dont trust in your own countries ideas and capacities ?
To the best of knowledge China has not made new underground airbases all belong to 70s despite still being used, the time there was no PGM existed , but now has focused to increase number of its HAS ... Taiwan on the other hand is somehow like Iran gotta stand against big China first wave with no strategic depth, same entrances but no underground runway ... I think both Iran and Taiwan see their first priority survivability of their AF against first wave and secondly capability to deter amphibious attack (vital and very important for Taiwan), that's why Oghab 44 has been built close to the strait of Hurmuz with F4 armed with AShM Nasr.
China has made HAS near borders with Taiwan and Taiwan has made underground base, so different capabilities and goal .. first one wanna have air superiority asap it's possible over Taiwan the other one seeks survivability for defense against China invasion.

The runway is as vulnerable as much as regular bases, HAS are good but we don't have enough fighter jets like China or the money to increase the number of HAS which would make it harder to attack all of them ... if they could make sure entrances would be cleaned asap then good step to protect our birds against surprise attacks.

What I wanna know is this, what I've seen is the base isn't completed .. I have not seen any ventilation system or Ex/SA duct and so on, it is very important factor as it's been stressed that the base is supposed to remain operational for months in war time so in case of targeting the entrance what would happened to the people inside ... in previous underground facilities unveiled such as "Ragbar Moshaki" or "Dezful production line" the aforementioned equipment were installed while it's clear that F4's engine smoke and heat is incomparable by screwing nut or bolt of a missile. In short what I am saying is obviously it's still under construction so I wanna know what has happened that urged them to unveil it and then Nournews describe the base next to Asef cruise missile as a wake-up call for someone?

Does US even has any supersonic CM? I mean, subsonic CMs can be taken out by Iran air defence. And US-airplanes too. So what is left as thread to this underground base?

As per our own experience, F-4s are baits of IRIAF. However, if we give that role to big drones it would be much better. But as of now, phantoms play the role of strike fighter jets of IRIAF. They don't that much capability to intercept cruise missiles. They should remain prepared for hitting deep inside carrier group of enemy forces. They will be hit too but they will use long range cruise missiles to inflict maximum damage on American carrier group. They shouldn't remain in reserve in the war scenario.

F-14s and other interceptors must remain untouched after an enemy surprise attack. Operate from Isfahan and deep inside Iran to keep skies safe behind ground based air defense systems. Missile forces will play the destructive role against American bases.

So, i see no point in hiding F-4s inside underground airbases. Maybe IRIAF is playing with their minds, they won't unveil their tactics like that.
f-4s are backbone of IRIAF bomber fleet, for them they are not as worthless as you think

Taiwan

and china still building more of these bases....and most recent one is in iran. Why do you need confirmation from other countries? you dont trust in your own countries ideas and capacities ?
exactly which one is recently made

Does US even has any supersonic CM? I mean, subsonic CMs can be taken out by Iran air defence. And US-airplanes too. So what is left as thread to this underground base?
not all of hem,not in numbers usa will launch

Last edited:
Taiwan

about Taiwan base from wiki
hiashan Air Force Base (Chinese: 佳山基地) is a military airport operated by the Republic of China Air Force in Hualien County, Taiwan. It is known for its extensive underground hangars. Hualien Airport operates within a 28-acre civilian section of the base. It is one of the most important defense installations on Taiwan as it houses the military's most survivable aerial counter-attack forces.
you see bombers not fighters
and it was built in 1985

As is customary, there are those who tout the strength of granite.
However, granite is a type of igneous rock created by volcanic activity, whereas the Zagros Mountains of Iran are brittle sedimentary rock.
A penetrating bomb like MOP can easily penetrate tens of meters through brittle sedimentary rocks.
Understand the geographical difference between Iran and North Korea, where granite dominates and makes it easier to build a solid underground position.
Iran has some granite in the northwest, central, and eastern parts of the country, but unfortunately very little of it is found in the Persian Gulf region, which is not suitable for building underground positions.
Similarly, the Alborz Mountains north of Tehran are brittle sedimentary rocks that are unsuitable for building underground bases and are easily penetrated by bunker busters.

Check @Arash1991 last post. North Korea has underground runway. I believe Taiwan and China do as well. Thus it’s natural Iran eventually will.

Remember this is 1st Gen underground airbase used primarily for singular purpose.

The air superiority underground airbases have not been built yet to house SU-35 and eventual Iranian air superiority fighter (10+ years from now).
Point is, I didn't really argue against housing parts of an airbase - hangars, taxiways, support infrastructure - underground. Only the runways. So no I wasn't arguing against bases like Oghab-44, which has an overground runway.

Nobody will ever face off against the US Air Force... Jets are now mobile strike systems. Air defense systems are what competes with a nations air force, not other jets.

F-4's are incredibly lethal when armed with air-launched cruise missiles, glide bombs, etc. Nobody has to fly over a target to bomb it anymore. Absolutely no need for it.

100 F-4's armed with cruise missiles and glide bombs is equally as effective as 100 F-22's at this point in terms of offensive operation. It's a very fast and reliable platform for launching precision weapons. Combined with very accurate ballistic missiles, offensive operations have everything they need.

If the F-4 still had to fly over the target, that wouldn't be true obviously... the Asif cruise missile Iran just released has a 1,500KM range. That means F-4's could take off from Moscow and hit targets in Kiev without leaving airspace in Moscow. Yasin glide bombs have 50km range, which means F'4s could take off from the Russian side of the border and hit targets in Kharkiv and other border areas. The air-launched Qader cruise missiles have a 300km range, which means F'4s could take off from Sevastopol Air Base in Crimea, fly a short distance, and hit targets in Kherson, Odessa, etc without ever leaving Crimean airspace.

Make brand new J79's and AL-21's, copy the SU-22 and F-4 airframes, and Iran will have a modern bomber fleet for this generation of warfare.

Nobody will ever face off against the US Air Force... Jets are now mobile strike systems. Air defense systems are what competes with a nations air force, not other jets.

F-4's are incredibly lethal when armed with air-launched cruise missiles, glide bombs, etc. Nobody has to fly over a target to bomb it anymore. Absolutely no need for it.

100 F-4's armed with cruise missiles and glide bombs is equally as effective as 100 F-22's at this point in terms of offensive operation. It's a very fast and reliable platform for launching precision weapons. Combined with very accurate ballistic missiles, offensive operations have everything they need.

If the F-4 still had to fly over the target, that wouldn't be true obviously... the Asif cruise missile Iran just released has a 1,500KM range. That means F-4's could take off from Moscow and hit targets in Kiev without leaving airspace in Moscow. Yasin glide bombs have 50km range, which means F'4s could take off from the Russian side of the border and hit targets in Kharkiv and other border areas. The air-launched Qader cruise missiles have a 300km range, which means F'4s could take off from Sevastopol Air Base in Crimea, fly a short distance, and hit targets in Kherson, Odessa, etc without ever leaving Crimean airspace.

Make brand new J79's and AL-21's, copy the SU-22 and F-4 airframes, and Iran will have a modern bomber fleet for this generation of warfare.
Is that cruise missile comparable weight to Mk84 2000lbs bomb?
Su-22 and more so F-4 airframe design are outdated and useless.
Iran could design aircraft airframe that can do more with same engines.

Back
Top Bottom