What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

Very unfortunately, there is only one tunnel that connects to the runway.
Only one bunker buster would be enough to neutralize this costly underground base.
Incredible waste!
FoaX6pXWYAAhmSP
Very unfortunately, there is only one tunnel that connects to the runway.
Only one bunker buster would be enough to neutralize this costly underground base.
Incredible waste!
FoaX6pXWYAAhmSP
This runway is for landing not take off

Yes, the transition phase is reflected in the purportedly limited purchase of SU-35s.
I don´t agree. 24 Su-35 it is first batch ordered. More should come. I read (National Interest) the total quantity were around 64. 3 Squadrons would be great.

It must be separate IRIAF prospects about a indigenous fighter (I agree that iranian technology is enough mature for doing a national fighter if really concerns about a national engine are solved) from purchase a foreign superiority fighter like Su-35. Su-35 it is long range, multi-sensor and inmediately deployable fighter. Those probably will never be "buried" into mountains. Su-35 will protect air bases, HVT like nuclear sites, UAV factories and other C2 places. If IRIAF can operate 3 Squadrons in differents airfields, they can patrol in CAPs over PG and Indian Ocean during hours, connected by any indigenous data link to Air Defense national grid, feeding the The Khatam al-Anbiya Air Defense Headquarters with information while they can receive real time information of VHF radars and other systems. That underground Air Base probably is designed to protect second strike aircrafts for assuring a proper answer to any attacker (Su-24 and F4).

This kind of joint-operations can defuse an incoming attack of 5gen coming from PG countries or CAG in the Indian Ocean or even B2/21 from Diego García. But you need a minimum number of these long range aircraft (su35), and a proper distribution in more than air base. And probably another assets like AEW aircrafts and more tankers.

On the other hand Russia is under severe sanctions, so high that you can be sure that few countries would dare to buy their combat aircraft. Only another pariah state like Iran can avoid those CAATSA sanctions. Iran can enjoy a foreign line assembly with short time delivery of a high capable superiority aircraft.

Last but not least important, Netanyahu will attack soon. I am pretty sure that guy wants blood. And it is not a problem only with persians. He (and Israel hawkish haters) will never leave any muslim country to shade his path of Glory and Supremacy in Middle East.

So IRIAF need that aircraft NOW.

And I think China has lost a opportunity for a good deal exporting their excellent (I think it is better) J-16.

The work is as simple as repairing the runway and
The task of restoring a tunnel that has been shredded by a missile is very different.
Even in Japan, where a road cave-in can be repaired in a few days, it took a month to restore a collapsed tunnel, and if it were during a war, it would be a hopeless task.

This base is bigger than people think. It is certain that there are large open parking lots in this place and plenty of storage space. And there must be good defense and artillery systems to keep inside so protection is assured. It cannot otherwise.

The underground bases are huge, villages underground. That's why I think Iran has a military budget not publicly disclosed because imagined the costs of that, huge!

They show us the elephant's tail and not the elephant itself

@AmirPatriot was the (one of) the very person(s) who sat and argued against these types of bases last year with me on this very forum.

The work is as simple as repairing the runway and
The task of restoring a tunnel that has been shredded by a missile is very different.
Even in Japan, where a road cave-in can be repaired in a few days, it took a month to restore a collapsed tunnel, and if it were during a war, it would be a hopeless task.

Make up your mind. Are you attacking the tunnel or the entrance? Attacking the entrance isn’t going to collapse the tunnel especially with that blast door in place. (Let’s assume no special mesh overhanging the blast door entrance during war time).

It isn’t as simple as carving a cavity into the mountain. They are reinforced with special type of concrete and there is a thickness between the mountain-rock and the ceiling of the tunnel.

If you try to hit a major part of the tunnel (to collapse it) you have to first pierce thru the mountain since hitting the entrance cannot trigger such a collapse. Thus you are going thru deeper bedrock (more inside the base). If successful then you have to past thru the reinforced elements that are there to stop such a collapse. If successful going thru all of after, then explode to try to trigger an integrity collapse.

At best you would need one of the biggest/strongest bunker buster in USAF arsenal, at worst a tactical nuke. No guarantee of success.

Unfortunately, such a small tunnel would be destroyed to shreds by just one GBU-28.
The mountain connected to the runway is only 30 meters high at its peak and has a gentle slope. Even if the missiles were to land with only a few meters error, it is hard to imagine the time it would take to completely collapse the entrance and restore it.
Even a much smaller scale tunnel collapse in Japan took one month for investigation and one month for restoration work.
The reality is that once a tunnel is seriously damaged, there is a possibility that it will collapse again if work is done too easily, so even the investigation takes a very long time.
If just one missile can disable dozens of fighter jets and nullify the large amount of money invested in their construction.
What an easy target that would be for the U.S. and Israel to thrill at!

@AmirPatriot was the (one of) the very person(s) who sat and argued against these types of bases last year with me on this very forum.

Make up your mind. Are you attacking the tunnel or the entrance? Attacking the entrance isn’t going to collapse the tunnel especially with that blast door in place. (Let’s assume no special mesh overhanging the blast door entrance during war time).

It isn’t as simple as carving a cavity into the mountain. They are reinforced with special type of concrete and there is a thickness between the mountain-rock and the ceiling of the tunnel.

If you try to hit a major part of the tunnel (to collapse it) you have to first pierce thru the mountain since hitting the entrance cannot trigger such a collapse. Thus you are going thru deeper bedrock (more inside the base). If successful then you have to past thru the reinforced elements that are there to stop such a collapse. If successful going thru all of after, then explode to try to trigger an integrity collapse.

At best you would need one of the biggest/strongest bunker buster in USAF arsenal, at worst a tactical nuke. No guarantee of success.

I think many people underestimate just how fortified earthen structures repurposed for defense can be…rock (especially granite or other dense materials found in Mountains) can become very effective at protecting assets. Earth is hard to move, no matter what you’re using…

The misconception comes when one overestimate the practical impact of bunkerbusters and their real world effects. What once was a tool becomes a “wonder weapon” that can dig straight through ground and pop out on the other side of planet lol.

and as it said at the time to you , these type of bases only good for bombers putting fighter inside them is like shooting at your own foot because even one hour delay in lunching them is meaning one hour of open season for enemy air force

also don't talk about ridiculus suggestion of using special alloy metal meshed to protect the base the bomb shred the mesh not mesh shredding the bomb

and as it said at the time to you , these type of bases only good for bombers putting fighter inside them is like shooting at your own foot because even one hour delay in lunching them is meaning one hour of open season for enemy air force

also don't talk about ridiculus suggestion of using special alloy metal meshed to protect the base the bomb shred the mesh not mesh shredding the bomb
These bases are used to protect the assets against massive fighter/missile raids. And from what I've heard they already do hide their assets, but this underground complex is an upgrade.

Iran lost many fighter jets after Iraqi airforce bombed IRIAF airbases.

First and most important mission of this underground base is to protect fighter jets from surprise attacks.

Iran lost many fighter jets after Iraqi airforce bombed IRIAF airbases.

First and most important mission of this underground base is to protect fighter jets from surprise attacks.
first mission for fighters is when you detect enemy you launch them into sky to intercept them . not hide them , you hide the bomber and use them in retaliation , your fighter go into sky the second you detect enemy air-crafts .
and iran lost airplane to iraq bombing when the planes were parked in open

Back
Top Bottom