What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

GaAs or GaN based?

Iran likes to do a mixture of PESA/AESA GaA/GAN because it allows more production of radars (and AD batteries) and cheaper operating costs.

Some radars are very expensive (even for Iran) to keep on, thus they are turned on only when critical or a certain intervals. Thus you need to take a cost effective approach. Also not all radar spots need the most expensive radar.

People think AESA vs PESA is like it is in the air for airforce and that is not true. There is way too much ground to cover and way too many air defense batteries to make everything high end expensive to operate radar.

Have to be smart and mix and match based on your needs and layer your AD rings/spheres smartly.

GaAs or GaN based?

They will move further ahead.So let's see.

We use PESA called Asr on our Frigates.

node-7168-thumb-1442926367.jpg

B6cgS5IIUAAETGW.jpg

and both Gallium nitride (GAN) and Arsenide (GaS) are synthesized in Iran.

Fact that many F-4 were upgraded,is something we know already,but some F-4 got "Zero overhaul",which mean they are completely rebuilt with newly produced components, These F-4 have some indigenous new parts with some changes and some can be even spotted from close look,at landing gear,HUD..etc Also new radar on F4 has 200km range,and has the ability to detect naval and ground targets,also it has ability to track and engage multiple air to air targets simultaneously,and new air to air missiles are integrated already..This example on picture is completely destroyed in Iran - Iraq war but it is restored with all new components ,so to say only has same designation and serial number. I already give detailed observation based on radar and cocpit pictures available but website is no longer active where this was available(domain blocked by US). I had those pictures and I think I have it still,so I will reupload those and give some insight,based on images of MFDs,HUD..etc and other components inside cockpit ,it is possible to get many information..I was able to see 4 or 5 different radar modes,there was screenshots of MFDs while radar is turned on..function testing..etc..also image of new weapons computer management ...that is all gone..so it would be nice to have it
View attachment 823035

I have already talked about the F-4 SM (super improved) are some year here. Iran hides beautiful suprises in their combat aircraft. There will be suprises about engines too. New aircraft at the appearance of old planes is for me misleading for the enemy. It is clear that Iran must already work on AESA radar and may already be in trial mode

I have already talked about the F-4 SM (super improved) are some year here. Iran hides beautiful suprises in their combat aircraft. There will be suprises about engines too. New aircraft at the appearance of old planes is for me misleading for the enemy. It is clear that Iran must already work on AESA radar and may already be in trial mode
well , I don't think F4 has aerodynamic capabilities for modern warfare ... if you was talking about Mig29 or F14 then , they were 4th gen fighters and could be upgraded but F4 , no ..

well , I don't think F4 has aerodynamic capabilities for modern warfare ... if you was talking about Mig29 or F14 then , they were 4th gen fighters and could be upgraded but F4 , no ..

If SU-25/SU-30/SU-34 is being brought down by manpads and Cold War era Buks....then imagine the fate of The F-4 “bomb truck”.

The upgrade projects keep the highly experienced engineers/technicians occupied and from retiring. Similar to the Karrar project.

Have to give your workforce something to do, till you either build a new aircraft or acquire one.

Do you produce TRM modules for radars in home??

Asking because Pakistan has developed (still in prototype stage) ground based AESA radar (plans are there to use it on air borne assets).Now i was just wondering that Pakistan is second country in the Muslim World that can make T&R modules in home for its radars.But if Iran has built it already,then we will be on third number 😜.
To be a real TRM producer you need to be able to grow GAS or GAN single crystals and then be able to have a Semiconductor fabrication facility to turn them into Power Transistors and Integrated circuits that are based on these two substrates..you also need Surface Mount printed circuit board facility that could turn your design in to actual packable cards inside your TRM modules..If you source any of the above from outside then your in-house content for TRM will be less..just like an automobile your end product has the country's name but the domestic content will be different for each country....what % content Iran or Pakistan or Turkey have most probably is not a public info.

Modern wars is not a motor racing or a show. A very modern F-4 is very dangerous for any enemy. What you do not understand on this forum is that Iran manufactures their new heavy aircraft through F-5, F-4 SM and other planes at the lowest cost. The newly improved parts manufacturing experience as well as the construction of new parts made entirely in Iran are steps towards a new heavy heavy hunter.

The F-4 SM is a major asset for Iran and for a country with heavy sanction, Iran does the impossible. They have unveiled war secrets that will surprise us one day. I predict that the Shafaq project is still active behind scene. Watch how long that Russia has been working on the MIG-35, long years old.

Is this true that Egypt tested SU-35 against the Rafale fighter jets and their Rafale managed to suppress the SU-35 radars with its electronic warfare system? if so what does this mean for Iran buying su-35?
Also I heard that Algeria passed on Su-35s because it does not have AESA. Any truth in any of this?

Is this true that Egypt tested SU-35 against the Rafale fighter jets and their Rafale managed to suppress the SU-35 radars with its electronic warfare system? if so what does this mean for Iran buying su-35?
Also I heard that Algeria passed on Su-35s because it does not have AESA. Any truth in any of this?
You want fighter jets for air warfare or area denial?

You want fighter jets for air warfare or area denial?

with the development of BM/CM and long-range UCAVs, the logical choice for IRIAF would be to guard the airspace as a primary objective. 8 squadrons of a fighter jet-like Su-35S or J-10C are enough for IRIAF to do this job along with Ground-based air defense.

First remember that Rafale cost 2x the cost of an SU-35. So you can field 2 SU-35 for every 1 Rafale.

And considering the range of an SU-35 is 250KM+ there is no onboard ECW system that can jam radar for that distance, not even ground based X band jammers can.

So the SU-35 would need to be very close (under 20KM distance) for what you said to happen. Tell me how far the SU-35 was from the Rafale when it deployed its jammer and on what band and frequency.

Anyone who doesn’t know **** about radars says “it’s it AESA? No? Ok then it’s garbage”.

Don’t listen to people who make it seem like every fighter jet in the world needs to be AESA in order to be “good”. Yes it’s true that Griffen is a PESA not an AESA.

Don’t listen to people who make it seem like every fighter jet in the world needs to be AESA in order to be “good”. Yes it’s true that Griffen is a PESA not an AESA.
You are given two Radars:
1) most modern in its class AESA radar with 170km range
2) Most modern PESA radar in its class with 250km range.
Which one you will prefer?
More modern technology
Or just more range

Choice is yours.

More modern technology
Or just more range

Choice is yours.

I am an AESA fan for the very simple reason that the majority of top-notch fighters, Air defense systems are going for AESA now. There is a reason that Iranian planners went for the production of large AESA's for our most trusted air defense systems. We might even see domestic production of airborne AESA soon as well.

More modern technology
Or just more range

Choice is yours.

Irrelevant.

What matters is the armament that the AESA carries and quality of radar build itself.

Also I didn’t want to have to do this, but here we go:

SU-35 actually had 2 radars not one.

Yes IRBIS-E is a PESA, but it has 400KM range (not 250KM, I was just using that as an example range for jamming example). I already covered SU-35 armament. It would be able to easily engage your 170KM AESA fighter from a very far BVR distance.

Lastly the 2nd radars of SU-35 deploys two additional front facing radars alongside the IRBIS-E

The twin N036B-1-01 L-band radars (AESA) provide increased angular coverage, and are ideal for tracking stealth targets and for electronic warfare.

Compare this with 50% of the cost of Rafael and you can see why SU-35 is the better choice.

Irrelevant.

What matters is the armament that the AESA carries and quality of radar build itself.

Also I didn’t want to have to do this, but here we go:

SU-35 actually had 2 radars not one.

Yes IRBIS-E is a PESA, but it has 400KM range (not 250KM, I was just using that as an example range for jamming example). I already covered SU-35 armament. It would be able to easily engage your 170KM AESA fighter from a very far BVR distance.

Lastly the 2nd radars of SU-35 deploys two additional front facing radars alongside the IRBIS-E

The twin N036B-1-01 L-band radars (AESA) provide increased angular coverage, and are ideal for tracking stealth targets and for electronic warfare.

Compare this with 50% of the cost of Rafael and you can see why SU-35 is the better choice.
Ok your point is:
From cost perspective, you will go for Su 35

But what for one to one ?
Here Rafael will take the show away from Su 35.

Modern warfare is a complex game.You can not just judge the strength of fighter jet from only Radar's range point of view.What about its SEAD/DEAD capabilities?Can it jamm the enemy air defence radars for self defence?

Now compare Su 35 with Rafael from SEAD point of view also.And then decide.

Surely in military acquisitions ,cost effectiveness plays a pivotal role but cost is not the only factor involved while selecting a fighter jet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom