What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

I think they should produce 3 Saeqeh 2 squadrons, just so they can at least retain some potent and semi-modern air-air and CAS capability. While also working on Qaher-313, Kowsar, and the Shafaq.

Also, @SOHEIL mentioned something about a Saeqeh-90 with a turbofan engine a few months ago. Any news on that?

Interesting. I have not seen these before.

I hope these projects have given Iran some experience that could help it build modern fighters in the future.

Amir,

What is the significance in these photos? New canopy, radar, engine?

I think they should produce 3 Saeqeh 2 squadrons, just so they can at least retain some potent and semi-modern air-air and CAS capability

The Saeqeh isn't modern in armament. It carries no precision guided weapons.

In my opinion, Iran shouldn't waste money on making them in any numbers. It might be useful as a testbed though.

What is the significance in these photos? New canopy, radar, engine?

It seems to have a different HUD, as well as different avionics (which can be anything from navigation equipment, RWR, radar as well). The strange streak on the engine is present in standard F-5s. However I will say the HUD does look very similar, if not identical, to HUDs used on standard F-5s. There seems to be two types. Maybe @eagle2007 could help in this regard.

The Saeqeh isn't modern in armament. It carries no precision guided weapons.

In my opinion, Iran shouldn't waste money on making them in any numbers. It might be useful as a testbed though.

It seems to have a different HUD, as well as different avionics (which can be anything from navigation equipment, RWR, radar as well). The strange streak on the engine is present in standard F-5s. However I will say the HUD does look very similar, if not identical, to HUDs used on standard F-5s. There seems to be two types. Maybe @eagle2007 could help in this regard.
Not a new HUD at least base on this photo we have same old reflex sight in Saeghe while they used a HUD in Azaraksh .. why ? I don't know..

Attachments

• ac892222.jpg
    ac892222.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 94
N_Al40,

1) Possibly. Then again, given the relatively small size of the Qaher, those holes seem a bit small for a Chaff/Flare dispenser. Oddly enough, the models Iran manufactures (via IEI's website), vary from 26/40/60 mm in size, so it's hard to be sure.

2) Yes and no. The missile in the background on the LEFT is a Russian Kh-58 anti-radiation missile. The two missiles in the foreground on the other hand are Kh-29s. The one on the left is the TV-guided model (Kh-29T) & the one on the right is the laser-guided model (Kh-29L). The markings are definitely meant to suggest they are Iranian built (one actually says "TV SEEKER", not something you'd see on a Russian-manufactured missile).

3) Well, the poster image you posted clearly states that it's a VHF Omnidirectional range and distance measuring equipment (aka the "VOR/DME" on the poster). From my quick research however, an ILS (Instrument Landing System) can using the existing VOR antenna and thus save you from having to mount another one. Whether one of those antennas is for a TACAN is very difficult to tell from appearance alone. Whether they be for VOR, ILS, TACAN, etc, such antennas on fighters (thanks to them needing to be small to not hurt the aerodynamics) are going to be very similar in appearance. In the case of the MiG-29 pictured, both blades appear identical but are differently located, I don't see how we can tell which is what.

4) Definitely would have to disagree there. I don't see how the exhaust could be piped that far forward of the exhaust given the rather ordinary appearance of the Qaher's exhaust. Also, if you are looking to disperse unwanted exhaust heat, you do so on TOP of the airframe (see the YF-23 exhaust design for example), not along the bottom, the side of the airframe most exposed to air defense systems.

Last edited:
Never understood why Iran didn’t reverse engineer the Dassault Mirage F-1. It’s a successful fighter platform with a very good record and a low accident rate:

Image1512264148.551069.jpg

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom