What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

If you can produce magnesium alloy, aluminum alloy & you understand how to enrich uranium then clearly you have the technological capability to produce various types of Ti alloy!
So the Know how is there

Titanium is one of the top 10 most abundant metals on earth and it's widely distributed so yes Iran has Titanium!

So it's a matter of choosing to do so and investing in building the tools & facilities required & these are tool Iran would have to build it's self because no one would sell them to Iran or invest in Iranian Ti industry due to sanctions!

If the IRGC was behind the fighter program they would of started Ti industry, produce Ti alloy and produced various Ti made products & sold them on top of the fighter! Where as IRIAF isn't allowed to participate in Iran's Economy!
and this is another aspect that makes the IRGC better suited for developing a more capable fighter!

BUT again sadly many IRGC high ranking officials don't comprehend the value of a fighter!

Iran will clearly be facing new security challenges

Iran's Kurdish region is most definitely not this big! So what is Iran going to do about it?

Fight them off with handful of outdated M-60's?

This is how reckless Iran's government has been! Where is the money going? These Tanks should be in storage used in a worst case scenario only!

Everyone in the government and high ranking army positions should be shot. What the hell?

Do these utter morons, not see what has happened to Syria? Where even T-90s are getting knocked out left right and center for years now. And somehow these bastards are talking about ghodrate Iran kheli bozorge. Idiots. A simple small batch of ATGMs shipped to separatists and that entire tank formation is destroyed with ease. Even rpgs can do that job.

None of those infantry are even mechanized, completely unprotected, so basically what were looking at here is WW2 army. Tanks and un protected infantry. Those men should be mechanized not on foot. Fucking hell if you told me this was 1988 I would believe you. After 30 years this is what the government has delivered to its people. This. Iraqi army is more fucking modern than us. We are no stronger than them in our ground forces. And we've peace of 30+ years while they've time and time again been ravaged by war. Syrian army is the same as well. Better equipped army after 7 years of war. This is a disgrace for the nation. All of them should be shot. Most especially our officials of the army as traitors to our security. How are we meant to fight america with these as they like to say? They'd all get wiped out in less than 5 minutes. With this army we'll end up like Syria.

How is it possible that we can only build BMP-1 copies? Like I really don't get it. It's so frustrating to see. Are we seriously not more capable than this!?

Ma kheli ghodrat darim. retards...

Do these utter morons, not see what has happened to Syria? Where even T-90s are getting knocked out left right and center for years now.
Yes, they have seen it and knew it even before the Syrian war and even before the 33day war when we did the same to Israeli tanks.
It just shows the cleverness of our commanders.
guess what happened to T14!

Do these utter morons, not see what has happened to Syria? Where even T-90s are getting knocked out left right and center for years now. And somehow these bastards are talking about ghodrate Iran kheli bozorge. Idiots. A simple small batch of ATGMs shipped to separatists and that entire tank formation is destroyed with ease. Even rpgs can do that job.

Simply not true.

T-90's are not getting taken out left or right. In fact overall tank losses have dropped considerably for many months now. Most if not all t-90s come with the shorta APS system.

For other tanks, Syria developed (not sure if completely on their own) the Sarab-1 jammer and attached it old tanks, newer tanks, vehicles, APCs. There are articles on it that discuss it further. But basically it's a type of jammer that has nonetheless led to tank losses dropping significantly.

Either way tactics matter as well. Syria was using tanks as the charging ram into fortified areas with little close air support and infantry protecting it from potential anti tank crew teams. Furthermore, on the defensive side they were parked in the open and used like artillery pieces.

Syria's dense terrain or hilly terrain allowed small anti tank crews to fire from safe distance and leave. Since these older tanks had no jammers or APS system, the advantage went to the anti tank team.

Even in Yemen sandal wearing Houthis are destroying Abrams tanks and top of line APCs, because again terrain favors Anti tank crews and the saudis military tactics leave them susceptible.

We know that Iran is working on APS system (the type that tries to intercept the warhead) and has demonstrated a jammer system as well with their Karrar tank I believe.

If you can produce magnesium alloy, aluminum alloy & you understand how to enrich uranium then clearly you have the technological capability to produce various types of Ti alloy!
So the Know how is there

Titanium is one of the top 10 most abundant metals on earth and it's widely distributed so yes Iran has Titanium!

So it's a matter of choosing to do so and investing in building the tools & facilities required & these are tool Iran would have to build it's self because no one would sell them to Iran or invest in Iranian Ti industry due to sanctions!

If the IRGC was behind the fighter program they would of started Ti industry, produce Ti alloy and produced various Ti made products & sold them on top of the fighter! Where as IRIAF isn't allowed to participate in Iran's Economy!
and this is another aspect that makes the IRGC better suited for developing a more capable fighter!

BUT again sadly many IRGC high ranking officials don't comprehend the value of a fighter!

Iran will clearly be facing new security challenges

Iran's Kurdish region is most definitely not this big! So what is Iran going to do about it?

Fight them off with handful of outdated M-60's?

This is how reckless Iran's government has been! Where is the money going? These Tanks should be in storage used in a worst case scenario only!

Notice that we have yet to see a single Karrar in any combat exercises. At production rate of 10 a year, we should already have 6-10 operational units. Assuming that they had already started mass production/upgrade program when they unveiled the tank and videos of its supposed mass production facility.

Yes, they have seen it and knew it even before the Syrian war and even before the 33day war when we did the same to Israeli tanks.
It just shows the cleverness of our commanders.
guess what happened to T14!

But in this case, we are the tank operators, not the israelis. We know how to fight against heavy armor with just infantry.

Simply not true.

T-90's are not getting taken out left or right. In fact overall tank losses have dropped considerably for many months now. Most if not all t-90s come with the shorta APS system.

For other tanks, Syria developed (not sure if completely on their own) the Sarab-1 jammer and attached it old tanks, newer tanks, vehicles, APCs. There are articles on it that discuss it further. But basically it's a type of jammer that has nonetheless led to tank losses dropping significantly.

Either way tactics matter as well. Syria was using tanks as the charging ram into fortified areas with little close air support and infantry protecting it from potential anti tank crew teams. Furthermore, on the defensive side they were parked in the open and used like artillery pieces.

Syria's dense terrain or hilly terrain allowed small anti tank crews to fire from safe distance and leave. Since these older tanks had no jammers or APS system, the advantage went to the anti tank team.

Even in Yemen sandal wearing Houthis are destroying Abrams tanks and top of line APCs, because again terrain favors Anti tank crews and the saudis military tactics leave them susceptible.

We know that Iran is working on APS system (the type that tries to intercept the warhead) and has demonstrated a jammer system as well with their Karrar tank I believe.

Well their you go, the reason that overall tank losses have dropped was do to Shorta system and other jammers. Other than that several hundreds and hundreds of t-72 and t-90, taken out by us backed extremists, with western made tows.

None of our T-60s looked upgraded at all!., our t-72S's can't stand up to Tows, non of our armored vehicles for that matter. Just like how the west destroyed Syria with TOWs, they can do the same to us. We need to watch Syria carefully. Shotora was a gift from god.

On a tactic level i agree with you, their was alot of incompetence on the Syrian side, I hope we are not like this either.

Where are the karrars? I've yet to see any deliveries of them to anyone. What you say is very good, karrars with jammers and APS, but these are not proven until I actually see units of karrars in a training drill, to know they are genuinely produced. What I'm trying to say is IRan should really be taking lessons from Syria. They should really understand what it means to have a weak and poorly equipped ground force. It means 7 years of war rather than complete annihilation of our enemies and/or separatists in 1 month. If Syria army was any good, with smart equipment, we wouldn't have to save their asses with our money and blood.

Notice that we have yet to see a single Karrar in any combat exercises. At production rate of 10 a year, we should already have 6-10 operational units. Assuming that they had already started mass production/upgrade program when they unveiled the tank and videos of its supposed mass production facility.

If your production rate is only 10 per year then your not really producing only assembling imported parts!

upload_2017-9-30_10-30-59.png

If your not producing a sufficient amount of products then heating up those ovens isn't going to make a whole lot of sense and they don't all have to be Tanks but 10 a years is just not sufficient to even build such large ovens!

Plus modern battlefields are going to look a lot different & will require different type of equipment!

If your producing your own weapons then you have to take into account what the battlefield will look like 10 20 50 years from now

So any highly armored heavy vehicle you build today needs to be capable of controlling multiple unmanned vehicles and your outdated tanks need to be transformed so they can be controlled remotely & placed in storage & only a limited number used for training!

The fact that they are training with manned M-60 is NOT a good sign!

Iran needs to produce large tanks that control multiple smaller lighter remote control tanks + outdated tanks configured to be remotely controlled

10 a year is really poor production rate.

1: No such ovens are needed for smart-production designs like T-72.

2: The T-72S is the only Iranian tank that can survive a TOW-2 frontal hit

3: The number of 10 Karrars per years comes from nowhere

4: If you are in the tactical situation where you were smart enough to create low threat situation for your tanks. You can use their cheap and massive firepower, with low chances for one to get hit. This is what the Hezbollah and IRGC has teach to the Syrians and their huge T-55 family fleet --> don't get yourself into a situation where you can be hit. Tanks in a spearhead high-intensity operation must be at least of the protective level of the T-72S today, all the rest is 2-3 generations of armor protection behind the T-72S.

5: We better get things right and create a spearhead armor backbone of Karrars, all the rest is hopeless, from Chieftains to M60s.

6: Iran will only start tank production if 100% of it, including the engine, is built locally. They are reaching that point by now.

7: This all is off-topic

@PeeD the problem is I think you have the wrong idea in mind what a revitalised IRIAF would be for. Of course it is not for going head on against the full might of the USAF and/or USN. No air force in the world does that - but Russia and China still have air forces.

No, the IRIAF's role against the US would be deterring a limited (by which I mean "not all out attack") strike against Iranian nuclear facilities or even IRGC bases (a possibility that has been discussed in various think tanks). The US could do it if it really wanted to - but they don't. The level of forces required would be the same as an all out war. The IRIAF would also neutralise any possible Israeli action.

In an unlikely all out war, it is also possible that the IRIAF could do something similar to the Vietnamese air force in the Vietnam war - protect HVTs and large population centres, but try not to confront the Americans in the south where they would win decisively if confronted.

I would also want the IRIAF to at least match the best regional air forces e.g the RSAF. You will say "but that is competing with a western style powerful air force!", and I say we do the same and get a western style (though obviously not actually western) powerful air force. It worked great before. Don't forget Iran is a regional power, and our greatest weakness is our lack of conventional military power. We have to rectify this. If we do, we will have the region's largest and most diverse BM force, one of the best air forces, and (if existing systems are deployed on a wide scale) the best IADS.

But for now we are extraordinarily weak conventionally, helmets, body armour, pistols, SMGs, assault rifles, towed artillery, SP artillery, MRAPs, APCs, IFVs, tanks, utility helicopters, attack helicopters, heavy lift helicopters, trainer aircraft, tactical transports, strategic transports, aerial refuellers, AWACS, EW aircraft, maritime patrol aircraft strike aircraft, bombers, fighter jets, air to air missiles, surface to air missiles, corvettes, frigates, destroyers, all these are what Iran doesn't have, is very old, or we have prototypes of but in wide service are old. That is almost our entire military.

But for now we are extraordinarily weak conventionally, helmets, body armour, pistols, SMGs, assault rifles, towed artillery, SP artillery, MRAPs, APCs, IFVs, tanks, utility helicopters, attack helicopters, heavy lift helicopters, trainer aircraft, tactical transports, strategic transports, aerial refuellers, AWACS, EW aircraft, maritime patrol aircraft strike aircraft, bombers, fighter jets, air to air missiles, surface to air missiles, corvettes, frigates, destroyers, all these are what Iran doesn't have, is very old, or we have prototypes of but in wide service are old. That is almost our entire military.

It's really painful to read this cause its true.

Our Surface to air missile are not bad though. Just to few quantity of SAM systems in general.

Our Surface to air missile are not bad though

Oh of course. Our SAMs are competitive and very good. But from what I've seen with satellite imagery, they have not yet been deployed apart from 1 or 2 batteries I think. SA-3 and Hawk especially dominate the medium SAM coverage.

It's really painful to read this cause its true.
Some of our artillery is WW2 vintage.

@AmirPatriot

The conventional airpower question is a complex one.

Following points must be considered:

- Is your airpower survivable on the ground?
- Can it sustain operations when under attack?
- How much maintenance/supply is necessary and how large/fragile is the necessary infrastructure?
- Which competing indigenous weapon systems could provide the same capability?
- Which one is more cost effective?
- Do you have a indigenous capability to produce fighters in necessary numbers?
- Can you produce most critical parts, the engine? Which thrust class?
etc.

I already told that I like the positional flexibility of airpower.
I also described your example of Vietnamese homeland defense as a good way to kill more advanced enemies.

Something of the size and capability of Irans current airforce is sufficient for that task, replacing the fleet with 60 Su-30SM too.
But anything more, requires a revolutionary new concept with high numbers as described with my F-313.

I already told that enemies want Iran to pursue weapon system paths that lead to inefficiency, with the final goal of bankruptcy. VEVAK is a supporter of the "we need it all" concept that would certainly lead a limited resource country like Iran to bankruptcy. Its up to the wisdom of the decision makers to make the right choices. Only with a precise evaluation it can be decided/managed to go for a Saudi size import airforce which many of you would so much love to see, or not.
Upgrade a hopelessly under.armored tank like the M60, or skip it.
Select and skip where necessary as we lack the resources for symmetric nonsense approaches.

So let me finally say, I want the IRIAF to be there as it is, present a threat dimension for which the enemy at least has to add AAMs to it's mission or forced to jettison its bombs. This is a real added value. Hit and run tactics, etc.
That's good, despite the huge maintenance effort.
And maybe a future system like my F-313 could give new life to manned airpower in Iran.

- Is your airpower survivable on the ground?

Ideally in a time of crisis, a large proportion of your aircraft will be out there on Combat Air Patrol (CAP), while the rest will be in a high state of readiness. As soon as ground and air based radars detect an incoming tomahawk attack, those aircraft in a high state of readiness would move to take off immediately, which can be completed in a manner of minutes. Proper use of Hardened Aircraft Shelters (HAS) to protect aircraft under maintenance or in a low state of readiness as well as effective SHORAD can allow those HAS to protect their aircraft and take minimal losses (since multiple tomahawks are likely needed to destroy a HAS). Against a less capable regional force, this will work out even better. Iran used HAS to great effect in the sacred defence.

- Can it sustain operations when under attack?

Like I said, ideally the majority of aircraft will be in the air at that point. At this point, AWACS and aerial refuelling aircraft should allow enough time to repel an attack without having to land. Intact runways in more heavily defended areas can be used to allow aircraft to land while their home bases are being repaired. Use of roads to allow aircraft not in range of aerial refuelling aircraft to land, refuel, and fly to safer areas.

- How much maintenance/supply is necessary and how large/fragile is the necessary infrastructure?

Enough to support a large IRIAF. Thankfully this is already largely in place because of the Shah's pre-revolutionary IIAF expansion plans, and the rapid construction of infrastructure and supply structures. Probably even the HAS may not need building, but possibly improvement. Iran will probably have to expand its maintenance capabilities, and these can be in more "homeland defence" areas like the Vietnamese concept.

As for fragility, I suppose you are talking about fuel depots and such in TABs closer to combat zones. Something like the Red Hill Underground Fuel Storage Facility can be of great use and isn't out of reach considering Iran's mountainous terrain and the IRGC's industrial capacity.

- Which competing indigenous weapon systems could provide the same capability?

As of now, nothing in Iran allows the flexibility, mobility and power of conventional airpower. And your Qaher-313 would not be as powerful as it either.

- Which one is more cost effective?

I maintain that Qaher is not as cost effective as you say it is. And aircraft are more cost effective than missiles, owing to their re usability. Missiles should be used for striking HVTs, SEAD/DEAD, or striking targets inaccessible to airpower.

- Do you have a indigenous capability to produce fighters in necessary numbers?

Of course we do not have this now. But we must invest in it. We did the same for our missiles, and our tanks (Dorud factory).

- Can you produce most critical parts, the engine? Which thrust class?
etc.

We are working on it. Something like the RD-33, improved somewhat to grant about 20,000 lb of wet thrust, could be used in a twin engine fighter about the same size and capability as the J-31. I think it is feasible for us to try and gain access to engine production capability in a similar way to how achieved tank production capability. It may not succeed, but it is something that must be pursued.

By the way, how did you hear about the RD-33 possible reverse engineering? Not asking for your sources if you don't want to reveal them, but I also heard of it, from word of mouth. I'm just curious.

Something of the size and capability of Irans current airforce is sufficient for that task... I want the IRIAF to be there as it is, present a threat dimension for which the enemy at least has to add AAMs

It really isn't.

http://www.f-15e.info/joomla/weapons/loadout-configurations/124-iraqi-freedom

I've shown you this site before. Even with air superiority USAF F-15Es usually carry 2 AIM-9M/Xs and 2 AMRAAMs. We rarely see the IRIAF carry AIM-9s (which are so old they are not even all-aspect) and AIM-7s. The USAF would need a very small number of aircraft to deal with our current air force. They can jam everything we have, and outrange everything we have apart from the F-14 (which is still very jammable and in small numbers). 40 F-14As won't hold two carriers worth of aircraft, or those plus an airbase or two. Especially since the enemy can employ stealth aircraft that could negate the F-14's range advantage.

In any case, I doubt the IRIAF's current state of readiness will allow it to get many aircraft in the air before they are destroyed on the ground.

I already told that enemies want Iran to pursue weapon system paths that lead to inefficiency

We do not have to go down the Saudi route. I do not envision us spending $80 billion on our military. After the Syrian war is over (and by the looks of things, it is nearing its end), Iran will have a lot more money on its hands.

Also consider that the Turkish defence budget is just $18 billion and they have a capable air force, a powerful navy, and a modern (and rapidly modernising) army.

Only with a precise evaluation it can be decided/managed to go for a Saudi size import airforce which many of you would so much love to see, or not.

I want us to have a powerful air force. I do not want us to just import them and have a situation like the sacred defence. We have to be able to maintain and keep all our aircraft in service. And domestic production is a huge priority.

Now, if an opportunity arises and we get something like a J-20 or J-31, I would probably accept import - as long as once imported, those aircraft never have to leave the country again for maintenance. This would probably mean at least some sort of TOT.

Ideally in a time of crisis, a large proportion of your aircraft will be out there on Combat Air Patrol (CAP), while the rest will be in a high state of readiness. As soon as ground and air based radars detect an incoming tomahawk attack, those aircraft in a high state of readiness would move to take off immediately, which can be completed in a manner of minutes. Proper use of Hardened Aircraft Shelters (HAS) to protect aircraft under maintenance or in a low state of readiness as well as effective SHORAD can allow those HAS to protect their aircraft and take minimal losses (since multiple tomahawks are likely needed to destroy a HAS). Against a less capable regional force, this will work out even better. Iran used HAS to great effect in the sacred defence.

I have to wonder how fragile modern aircraft are to overpressure and vibration of a near HAS hit? You can get early warning and intercept many CMs but its saturation and the massive that would eventually let the first ones trough only slowly degrade base operations. But ok, it might work out to some extend if no BMs and hypersonic CMs are used (or against low power regional countries).

As for fragility, I suppose you are talking about fuel depots and such in TABs closer to combat zones. Something like the Red Hill Underground Fuel Storage Facility can be of great use and isn't out of reach considering Iran's mountainous terrain and the IRGC's industrial capacity.

Fuel, weapons, sensitive maintenance infrastructure, all those large area targets. As for underground fuel depots, yes, like HASes its a way to improve the situation. But at the end the question is if all that hardening is worth the resources spent on it? The Saudis have probably the best and most hardened conventional airbases in the world, but how much did they spend on them and whats their capability against a very strong enemy?

As of now, nothing in Iran allows the flexibility, mobility and power of conventional airpower. And your Qaher-313 would not be as powerful as it either.

This is a key point. As of now Iran has not spend large resources on conventional airpower, so it has the choice to switch to something different like drone based airpower or F-313.

I maintain that Qaher is not as cost effective as you say it is. And aircraft are more cost effective than missiles, owing to their re usability. Missiles should be used for striking HVTs, SEAD/DEAD, or striking targets inaccessible to airpower.

Drones/UCAV? But we already discussed it. I don't say missiles only.

We are working on it. Something like the RD-33, improved somewhat to grant about 20,000 lb of wet thrust, could be used in a twin engine fighter about the same size and capability as the J-31. I think it is feasible for us to try and gain access to engine production capability in a similar way to how achieved tank production capability. It may not succeed, but it is something that must be pursued.

By the way, how did you hear about the RD-33 possible reverse engineering? Not asking for your sources if you don't want to reveal them, but I also heard of it, from word of mouth. I'm just curious.

The RD-33 is the only conventional engine Iran has that would be worth considering copying. But they also showed it among indigenous projects, so there might be a project on it.
It is still incredibly difficult to master a serial production of the RD-33. Why not try to avoid such a difficult path and go for a alternative?

I've shown you this site before. Even with air superiority USAF F-15Es usually carry 2 AIM-9M/Xs and 2 AMRAAMs. We rarely see the IRIAF carry AIM-9s (which are so old they are not even all-aspect) and AIM-7s. The USAF would need a very small number of aircraft to deal with our current air force. They can jam everything we have, and outrange everything we have apart from the F-14 (which is still very jammable and in small numbers). 40 F-14As won't hold two carriers worth of aircraft, or those plus an airbase or two. Especially since the enemy can employ stealth aircraft that could negate the F-14's range advantage.

In any case, I doubt the IRIAF's current state of readiness will allow it to get many aircraft in the air before they are destroyed on the ground.

I want to see all IRIAF fighters being upgraded with R-73 or a Iranian equivalent. I want them to use terrain masking and IADS to close in advanced enemy fighters. I want new radars for F-4E and Fakkur-90 as AIM-7 and Sejil replacement. I want F-14 to do high altitude hit and run operations with Fakkur-90.
This all combined will create a threat situation that will require allocated additional assets and reduced operational capability. Its not meant to take on the enemy face to face, but another asymmetric approach.

We do not have to go down the Saudi route. I do not envision us spending $80 billion on our military. After the Syrian war is over (and by the looks of things, it is nearing its end), Iran will have a lot more money on its hands.

Also consider that the Turkish defence budget is just $18 billion and they have a capable air force, a powerful navy, and a modern (and rapidly modernising) army.

Saudis and Turkey are completely conventional countries with next to no strategic capability, superpowers would eat them for breakfast. Sorry bro, but if you admire their fancy toys, you should rethink your views.

I want us to have a powerful air force. I do not want us to just import them and have a situation like the sacred defence. We have to be able to maintain and keep all our aircraft in service. And domestic production is a huge priority.

Now, if an opportunity arises and we get something like a J-20 or J-31, I would probably accept import - as long as once imported, those aircraft never have to leave the country again for maintenance. This would probably mean at least some sort of TOT.

One day we might be technologically at a point to produce a cost effective and potent manned fighter. Maybe the F-313 will be the start as the low end solution, waiting for a high end solution. But I would not bet on it in times where many say that the U.S 6th gen. fighter will be unmanned. Better go for the newest trend.

I have to wonder how fragile modern aircraft are to overpressure and vibration of a near HAS hit?

Ask the air forces all over the world who use them. If an investment that large did not yield sufficient gain (especially since it isn't some sort of shiny pointy weapons system like the F-35) in protection, no-one would use it.

You can get early warning and intercept many CMs but its saturation and the massive that would eventually let the first ones trough

The idea is to thin the swarm so that they would not deal sufficient damage to seriously affect operations. For example, if it takes 2 Tomahawks to penetrate a HAS, bring that down to 1 Tomahawk and your HAS survives or your aircraft sustain at worst minor damage.

Fuel, weapons

Can be stored hardened underground depots.

sensitive maintenance infrastructure

A little more problematic. Ideally, forward airbases would have minimal maintenance infrastructure, and overhaul level maintenance would be based in well protected areas further away from the combat zone.

if all that hardening is worth the resources spent on it?

A survivable, powerful air force is certainly worth it.

Drones/UCAV? But we already discussed it. I don't say missiles only.

Fighter aircraft are a great aid to the IADS, so you would want to have them as a defensive asset. But most aircraft today are multirole. If you are on the offensive and have 100 fighter jets to spare, some of those can be pounding enemy industry, infrastructure, military bases. If you have a warfighting asset available you don't leave it lying around doing nothing.

It is still incredibly difficult to master a serial production of the RD-33. Why not try to avoid such a difficult path and go for a alternative?

Because we have to start investing in these high capability technologies sooner rather than later. Or else we'll be stuck with turbojets and subsonic turbofans. Better jet engine technology is not only good for a future air force, it can be applied in the Navy as well, for gas turbines to power ships (and most modern warships are powered by turbines).

I want to see all IRIAF fighters being upgraded with R-73 or a Iranian equivalent. I want them to use terrain masking and IADS to close in advanced enemy fighters. I want new radars for F-4E and Fakkur-90 as AIM-7 and Sejil replacement. I want F-14 to do high altitude hit and run operations with Fakkur-90.

Nevermind you want to replace a medium range AIM-7 with a very long range Fakour-90. You want to do all this on 40-50 year airframes. If a high priority and resources are given to such a project (IRIAF getting high priority... lol), they will be 50-60 year old airframes by the time the upgrade is done. Accident prone, very high maintenance, low sortie generation. And for what? 60 year old 3rd generation fighters, and 50 year old 4th generation fighters. It is a wonder the IRIAF continues to be able to fly F-14As and F-4Ds at all, and you want them to be combat effective?

Saudis and Turkey are completely conventional countries with next to no strategic capability, superpowers would eat them for breakfast. Sorry bro, but if you admire their fancy toys, you should rethink your views.

I didn't say we should be like them. Unconventional, strategic capabilities have their place. But so do conventional capabilities. I again remind you of Vietnam, which had both the unconventional VietCong, and the conventional NVA. They Turkish example was specifically to highlight that a powerful military does not have to come at extraordinary cost.

Thus, as I have said time and time again, we retain our strategic capability, ballistic missile, and expand it by making a large proportion of them precision guided, to make them more suitable offensive assets. Our unconventional defence being the IADS, coupled with the BM capability, presents a classic A2/AD problem for the enemy. Meanwhile, we modernise our conventional forces, being the IRIAF, IRIA, and IRIN. The conventional forces provide depth and complexity to our doctrine.

Because after all, what is harder to attack? Ground based air defence, or ground based air defence and a powerful air force? A large submarine force and coastal missile emplacements, or all of those plus modern destroyers, frigates, and aircraft? What is harder to deal with, a town infested with ATGM teams and rocket artillery, or a town infested with ATGM teams and rocket artillery plus attack helicopters, tanks and self propelled artillery that can counter-attack if you overextend?

Back
Top Bottom