What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

This is just the first prototype, none of us at this time can know what it really can conceal within the plane's nose in the operational configuration, but I think the position of the front landing gear indicates that they have designed to have a lot of space Free from the opposite side,
Space I imagine could be profusely used for electronic systems and not only.
My personal interpretation, fantasizing about armament, and also using the free space in the plane's nose.
pYrndAn.jpg

However I did not exaggerate !!??

Certainly, in order to be competitive and economically feasible it must be built in all versions,: trainer, close air support, reconnaissance, in at least one hundred aircraft

Iran right now has the potential to develop and in the future(8-10 years from now) sell an advanced subsonic trainer/attack Aircraft to Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, North Korea & Armenia! And that's at the very least! BUT you have to come up with something that's both innovative & low cost that could potentially attract these consumers!

If you come up with an innovative flying prototype then your friends and allies will take notice & once your Air Force starts flying them and showing off their capabilities that's when your friends and allies will start making inquiries about the Aircraft & if you are successful in making one sale & delivering on your contract, that's when orders start coming in & that's the type of Aircraft a smart manufacturer invests in developing not this!

This is what you end up with when there is no competition to push the limits of design and capability & this is exactly what you end up with when you lack foresight!

Lets look at some well known facts:
1.Modern IRST have a far greater range & capability than an F-5E Radar & they are passive!
2.Stealth fighter & Low RCS aircraft are more susceptible to IRST & optical sensors than they are to radars making optical sensors vital for both Air to Air and Air to Ground operations in any future fighter
3.You can use low cost methods to reduce your radar signature simply by designing your aircraft a certain way
4.Having an internal weapons bay not only reduces your RCS but it also greatly reduces drag & increases maneuverability of an armed Aircraft.

Now these aren't state secrets these are well known facts and if from the start you have designed something that doesn't have any of these characteristics then you've designed a failure! And you've wasted years of funding and recourses on a platform that never had a chance

We start from the fact that this is mainly a trainer jet , with close air support capabilities, certainly very useful, but nothing to do with a jet fighter plane in the style of Mig-29, F-15, F-14 Tomcat or the modern SU-30 , F-22, F-35, Eurofighter Typhoon, Rafale etc.,
Therefore in designing Kowsar is not strictly necessary as you write.
Besides, the Jet Trainer with the features mentioned above counts on the fingers of one hand and all descendants from the same basic design
YAK-130
M-346
L-15
made by three nations with a long tradition of aeronautics production.
All the other Jet Trainer currently in the catalog, follow much simpler parameters
K-8
JL-8
L-39 / L-59
M-345
IA-63 Pampa
BAE Hawk
Boeing TX
T-50
To remember also that nations like Germany and France have abandoned the design and construction of jet trainers.
Therefore, Kowsar, with all the limitations that you want to attribute, can represent a significant leap forward of the Iranian aerospace industry and constitute the starting point for future and more challenging projects.
Certainly, the Kowsar project will be able to see the light with a substantial production of aircraft, only if the propulsion engines (OWJ) will be made in adequate numbers

BT is saying that IRIAF will get 4 squadrons of J-10C and JH-7 from China soon, after deal with Kremlin for Su-30 SME/Su-35SE has failed because IRIAF wanted TOT and Kremlin was not giving them that. IRIAF is actually looking for TOT production of J-31 in future so this will just be a stop gap procurement.

and he is claiming that Russia has already delivered Su-27SE to IRIAF recently ???

and that negotiations were held at MAKS for up-gradation of Fulcrum fleet to SMT standard and Fencers to M2 standard.

I don't like this guy but he is not a fool either.

I don't like this guy but he is not a fool either.

I wouldn't take him too seriously. They guy is prone to making huge mistakes and outlandish stories.

This man says Khamenei is an ex-MI6 agent...

and he is claiming that Russia has already delivered Su-27SE to IRIAF recently ???

I think he said Russia was ready to deliver Su-27SM3s, not that they actually delivered.

In any case I'm not taking him seriously.

I wouldn't take him too seriously. They guy is prone to making huge mistakes and outlandish stories.

This man says Khamenei is an ex-MI6 agent...

I think he said Russia was ready to deliver Su-27SM3s, not that they actually delivered.

In any case I'm not taking him seriously.

he comes across to me as a patriotic person but somehow emotionally hurt and angry with administration specially IRGC (personal reasons). So I don't read his political comments.

On the contrary his IRIAF news mostly (not all) have proven to be true. Before anyone he correctly gave the actual numbers of Mig-29s in IRIAF (which were believed in 2000s to be atleast 4 squadrons but turned out to be merely 2), he disclosed the news of failure of Azarakhash/Saeghe program as well as Chinese F-4ED upgradations. Again his emotional political rants are a different story but his Airforce news are mostly correct.

few days ago he claimed that IRGC will ask for funds for Ya-Ali LACM production and Majlis approved it later.

but somehow emotionally hurt and angry with administration specially IRGC (personal reasons)

I'm not surprised. He is openly and overtly a shahi.

On the contrary his IRIAF news mostly (not all) have proven to be true. Before anyone he correctly gave the actual numbers of Mig-29s in IRIAF (which were believed in 2000s to be atleast 4 squadrons but turned out to be merely 2), he disclosed the news of failure of Azarakhash/Saeghe program as well as Chinese F-4ED upgradations.

As @eagle2007 will tell you, he is right in some cases but it is more common for him to be wrong lately.

I'm not surprised. He is openly and overtly a shahi.

As @eagle2007 will tell you, he is right in some cases but it is more common for him to be wrong lately.

I know. I have been following this guy for a long time now. What I have understood from his reporting is that sometimes he ends up wrong because (apart from his hatred for IRGC) Iranian weaponry policies change very quickly as well. For example, do they talk about Saeghe now ? some 7 years ago generals were saying we will mass produce them, squadrons after squadrons, people made fun of BT back then too when he was claiming that these are just rebuilt F-5E's which are not even from shelves of IRIAF. I remember he also broke news of that Mukahmedov-Shafagh-MATF connection.

Again, I am not defending this person, nor do I like his anti IRGC ranting but I take him seriously because he off-course has connections.

It's really a wistful position that IRI finds itself in: neither Russia nor China are willing, or able (China mostly due to pressure from US), to help IRI build-up her Air Forces. What's really left for IRI? It can't produce it's own fighters, and no one is selling her any. And yet all her neighbors are arming themselves with the latest and greatest air platforms.

It's really a wistful position that IRI finds itself in: neither Russia nor China are willing, or able (China mostly due to pressure from US), to help IRI build-up her Air Forces. What's really left for IRI? It can't produce it's own fighters, and no one is selling her any. And yet all her neighbors are arming themselves with the latest and greatest air platforms.

and How do you know that ?

and How do you know that ?
The vast majority of IRI's Air Force consists of 1970s platforms. What do you mean "how do you know that"? If Russia or China were willing partners they would have supplied IRI with her Air Force needs already. That's not happening, is it?! Do you know otherwise?

The vast majority of IRI's Air Force consists of 1970s platforms. What do you mean "how do you know that"? If Russia or China were willing partners they would have supplied IRI with her Air Force needs already. That's not happening, is it?! Do you know otherwise?

Actually I do know otherwise. One very strong argument that is often provided is that Iranian administration is actually not trying to re-equip its AF because of 1) Political reasons (explainable) 2) Lack of available funds (IRGC takes the cake) 3) Overall defence doctrine priority hierarchy of Missiles > AD > Navy > AF.

Refusal by Chinese or Russians doesn't even make sense when Iranian administration itself doesn't want spend $ on IRIAF.

cough
1962365.jpg

cough

su-24_Iran.jpg

cough

image.jpg

cough

Iran+FT7.jpg
Yes Yes cough... Put any one of these aging planes against the European, American, Israeli, Saudi, UAE, Russian, or Chinese platforms and let's see if you still have something stuck in your throat. Do you seriously think IRI's AF is a match against any of the Arab countries? Let's be real here: The Arab countries spend far more on their AF than IRI can ever hope for.
I am not trying to belittle IRI, but from time to time one needs a dose of reality: IRI has no AF... yes it has a better AF than Afghanistan, but to even hint that it's a match against Israel, SA, UAE (the very counties that are challenging IRI for regional supremacy) is ridiculous.
And before IRI's advocates go off on another name calling, vulgar rant about how "un-informed" I am, remember this adage: Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.

MiG-29 has not proved itself to be a commendable aircraft in recent encounters against Western jets. The rest of IRIAF fleet is quite obsolete. Iran Air Force might make up that technology gap by being very good fighter pilots but training and motivation without equipment can take you only so far.

Back
Top Bottom