What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

Ideally the iriaf would be wanting the R-37m and K-77M a2a missiles for its su35 fleet,as these [on paper at least] equal or exceed the capabilities of the a2a weapons carried by the gulfie/zionist/nato airforces in the region.Otherwise the iriaf could potentially wind up facing the exact same sort of problems that the indians had in a particularly embarrassing a2a engagement recently.
The question is can su-35 get a lock on enemy fighter at range more than 100km. You put a 200km range radar on it then demand a 200km range missile

The question is can su-35 get a lock on enemy fighter at range more than 100km. You put a 200km range radar on it then demand a 200km range missile

One of the reasons we won't solve the F-14A/AM replacement problem even after spending some close to 10 billion USD. Unless a long-track range radar and an ARH LR-BVR are procured, F-14A/AM are not going anywhere which is why IRIAF despite having a midget budget spent money on Fakour-90 development and mass production. No Su-35S, MIG-29SMT can weild such BVR power.

You are not shooting a fighter jet down at 200KM. This is Hollywood thinking.

F-14AM cannot get a radar lock at 190KM. It can DETECT a 5m2 around 170km, but useless for targeting.

If going up against a <1m2 object, then F-14AM will be lucky to track at less than 100KM.

Idk why you guys think an F-14 is going to be shooting anything down above 100KM distance. Unless it’s going after a bomber size target. But Rafael, F-15, F-16….forget about it.

You are not shooting a fighter jet down at 200KM. This is Hollywood thinking.

F-14AM cannot get a radar lock at 190KM. It can DETECT a 5m2 around 170km, but useless for targeting.

If going up against a <1m2 object, then F-14AM will be lucky to track at less than 100KM.

Idk why you guys think an F-14 is going to be shooting anything down above 100KM distance. Unless it’s going after a bomber size target. But Rafael, F-15, F-16….forget about it.

BVR engagement is more about deterrence than actual shoot-down. I posted SU-30MKI failure against AIM-120C barrage by bunch of F-16C/D. None of the SU-30MKI was shot down in that battle, atleast not proven, but the point is such a long ranged track-lock-shoot strategy shakes the enemy up, the enemy will no longer follow their course, they will have to deploy e-warfare, dodge the incoming missile, change course etc. Many things will happen which will give the BVR shooting aircrafts leverage over them. If you are a bombing party your attack aircrafts can get in to attack the targets on ground while enemy interceptors are busy defending themselves against the incoming missiles. The same aircrafts who shot the BVR missiles first can dash quickly towards shaked up enemy to launch further attacks with IR-seeking missiles. Israelis developed Derby-IR for this purpose to be fired in succession with AIM-120. French MICA and American AIM-9X Block II/II all have IR seekers and yet are BVR domain missiles for the ame purpose. AIM-120C/D rattles the enemy, IR seeker finishes the rattled enemy.

Btw this strategy was used massively by IRIAF during the war. They fired AIM-54 from long distance to deter the enemy which rendered the enemy MIG-25PD and MIG-23 ML completely useless with their R-40 and R-23 missiles. These aircrafts sucked at low altitude so Iraqis quickly understood that they cant get near to F-14A. They had to use terrain masking sneak attacks with newly imported Mirage F-1Q/EQ.

We do not know the capability of AWG-9+ which according to published articles has 800+ local circuits and parts now including the antenna. If its APG-71 equivalent then its search/track range will be around ~270/190 KM for ~5m2 target i.e. a MIG-29 like fighter. The track will become certain at around 150 KM for 5m2 at which range Fakour-90 SARH or AIM-54+ can be deployed, allowing other fighters with fast climb or dash to get into the WVR zone of the enemy to finish it with IR seeking missiles. No other aircraft even in future IRIAF can do this job. We need R-37 or PL-15 equivalent in Iran.

Last edited:
Now 2 new Kaiman 22 can be seen in one of the facilities of Army Jihad self-sufficiency organisation
Source Meshkat(Farsi account)

Attachments

• 20220926_120701.jpg
    20220926_120701.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 20220926_120656.jpg
    20220926_120656.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 20220926_120652.jpg
    20220926_120652.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 97
Now 2 new Kaiman 22 can be seen in one of the facilities of Army Jihad self-sufficiency organisation
Source Meshkat(Farsi account)

Kaman-22 with a jet engine can become a solid platform for ELINT, SIGINT wingmen for CAP flight as it can now get the speed to keep up with CAP-fighters. Confirmed by head of IAIO, this UCAV has two way Tactical datalink with Kowsar-I and SU-22M4 atleast. SU-22M4 are in IRGCAF hands but the TDL is same. Also the plane carries ECM + Tracking pods, PGMs.

I guess IRIAF (Air to Air) force is taking shape brilliantly.

Heavy Interceptors: SU-35S (64), F-14AM (40)
CAP, Quick Reaction Alerts: MIG-29 SMT (23), Kowsar-I (65), Karrar-Wingmen (200)
ELINT, SIGINT: Kaman-22

Long range BVR: Fakour-90 (150 KM, SARH), AIM-54+ (170 KM, ARH, 30 units)
Mid Range BVR = R-77-1 (100+ KM, ARH), R-27ER1 (80 KM,
Mid Range WVR = R-73E (All aspect IR, 30 KM), Azarakhsh (All aspect CCD Imaging IR, 40 KM)

Last edited:
Kaman-22 with a jet engine can become a solid platform for ELINT, SIGINT wingmen for CAP flight as it can now get the speed to keep up with CAP-fighters. Confirmed by head of IAIO, this UCAV has two way Tactical datalink with Kowsar-I and SU-22M4 atleast. SU-22M4 are in IRGCAF hands but the TDL is same. Also the plane carries ECM + Tracking pods, PGMs.

I guess future IRIAF is taking shape brilliantly.

Heavy Interceptors: SU-35S (64), F-14AM (40)
CAP, Quick Reaction Alerts: MIG-29 SMT (23), Kowsar-I/II (100), Karrar-Wingmen 100)
Attack/Antishipping: SU-35S (64), Kowsar-I/II (100), SU-24M2 (30), F-4E/D Dowran (64)
ELINT, SIGINT:
Kaman-22
The design have limited potential for high speed and more leaned toward endurance I doubt it be a good choice for a wingman. For that a platform based on karrar or shahed-171 are a lot more suitable.
If they want to build a wingman out of it they had to make its wing a lot stronger so it can tolerate high sub sonic speed. Thew landing gear must become a foldable one so it reduce the air resietanre. And if they manage to add a delta to the base of the wing that be a plus

By the way su-35 as interceptor. Come on

The design have limited potential for high speed and more leaned toward endurance I doubt it be a good choice for a wingman. For that a platform based on karrar or shahed-171 are a lot more suitable.
If they want to build a wingman out of it they had to make its wing a lot stronger so it can tolerate high sub sonic speed. Thew landing gear must become a foldable one so it reduce the air resietanre. And if they manage to add a delta to the base of the wing that be a plus

There is a difference between Wingmen and a CAP-Wingmen

How things are taking shape, Karrar is the Wingmen, it has already tested Imaging-IR Azarakhsh A2A, it has tiny RCS and speed so a swarm of 10-12 can be rushed towards intruders.

Kaman-22 with Shahin-II ECM pods and Trackers and TDL with Kowsar seems like a CAP or CAS attack wingmen. It can provide Jamming/ECM, track targets or attack them in TDL with fighters. A jet powered one will have enough speed for this job. No fighter performs CAS or CAP missions at high speed.

By the way su-35 as interceptor. Come on

IRIAF has no other choice, you cant just rely upon old horse F-14A/AMs for interceptions.

MIG-29 SMT with get the R-77-1 for BVR but there are just two squadrons which I guess will be dedicated to defending the cities, and critical sites. Kowsar-I has brilliant BVR capability if we go by radar and avionics but lacks the missile, may be it will get the R-77-1 package in the end or local AIM-7E2 they showed with ARH seeker and better motor that can push it to 70-80 KM domain.

This leaves us with SU-35S. The IRBIS-E being PESA is ECM vulnerable, RCS is huge, BVR is Mid-ranged but it can supplement F-14A/AM force for such roles. Also the plane has inter-Flanker TDL so they can use pack-attack strategy.

IRIAF has no other choice, you cant just rely upon old horse F-14A/AMs for interceptions.

MIG-29 SMT with get the R-77-1 for BVR but there are just two squadrons which I guess will be dedicated to defending the cities, and critical sites. Kowsar-I has brilliant BVR capability if we go by radar and avionics but lacks the missile, may be it will get the R-77-1 package in the end or local AIM-7E2 they showed with ARH seeker and better motor that can push it to 70-80 KM domain.

This leaves us with SU-35S. The IRBIS-E being PESA is ECM vulnerable, RCS is huge, BVR is Mid-ranged but it can supplement F-14A/AM force for such roles. Also the plane has inter-Flanker TDL so they can use pack-attack strategy.
honestly if we want to buy a foreign aircraft for that role i believe there is one other aircraft which is more suitable and that is J10-C and china is willing to sell that aircraft, and that come with PL-12 and PL-15 that is better than R-77 that come with Su-35

honestly if we want to buy a foreign aircraft for that role i believe there is one other aircraft which is more suitable and that is J10-C and china is willing to sell that aircraft, and that come with PL-12 and PL-15 that is better than R-77 that come with Su-35
When did they express their willingness to sell fighter jet to us ?

Did Xi tell you personally on WhatsApp?

Considering their satellite state (Pakistan) just received the fighter jet. Iran has about as much chance as you growing a tail.
yes , in the same chat we had with Putin and he expressed his willingness to sell us su-35s

When did they express their willingness to sell fighter jet to us ?
china already tried to sell us that airplane several years ago, and its in the list of airplanes they are willing to sell to foreign parties

Back
Top Bottom