What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

lol Soheil knows as much as the guy at the Corner baghali store.

I remember him from PDF days. He has zero inside scoop.
I think you mean “IDF” days. I too was around those days and remember Soheil sharing quite intricate graphic designs of aerospace and missile technologies he used to construct. He is astute in his perceptions and unless you have clear cases to discredit him, I don’t think it’s fair to make generalizations.

F-4s+

Are you wondering how is that our old F-4s are still flying ? Because these aren't American F-4s anymore these are Iranian-made F-4s ... the whole body the whole segments ... we've acquired the science of designing
Iran source

New cell
New cockpit
New radar
New electronics

They would have a new engine that they would later say as usual loll. This new F-4 that we present in the face without really saying it is really funny for me.
The announcement process of the Iranian army, I find it intelligent and misleading at the same time.

I know this forum for years and none seems to have seen this famous f-4S +. This famous f-4 would be the bridge between the new heavy combat aircraft with a new cell and new modern element. They presented it in videos, I find it very funny because nobody seems to have observed

View attachment 537374 View attachment 537375

And other F-4 Phantoms are subjected to extensive repair work and partially rebuilt
9TNap3y.jpg

g4Whtpk.jpg

raP60rO.jpg

loH0udQ.jpg

Well,for long time Iran is known for restoring totaly crashed aircrafts,which means they had to literary produce all parts again and this is well known fact,recentlyI spoted also mig-29 airframe parts also completly new...now when Iran is capable to produce modern avionics and weapons for it airforce I think very soon Iran will make major braketrought which is actually hardest part,we all know ofcourse that engine is major problem...China had access to foreign technology but Iran has to do it from scratch ...I remeber very well around 1999-2000 China only BVR capable fighter was Su-27 with R-27 missile and they had it maybe 100..their complete fleet was that consisted from Mig-19 and mig-21 copies and some other aircrafts but also very old..yeah..they literary had 100 BVR capable aircraft(very limited BVR with R-27)...in same time Iran already operated most advanced aircraft and ARH guided BVR missile for 20 years..thus flyed also BVR capable Mig-29,F-4..etc...if I told anyone in that time that China will in 10 years start with j-10 production and start fifth gen. projects people would probably asking..wtf..ho is this moron,I would probably destroy all my reputation(if had any in that time :)...Thing is, it is most important and hardest part to actually start produce anything at some scale.. reach industrial production level..Iran is really in hard position when it comes to this,since they had to develop everything from scratch..I suppose they succeed to get some technology transfer but still ...I mean just look..Russia..China...Russsia has experience buiding aircrafts for decades..many things they inveted literary..but look their aircrafts..AN-148 is using Intel chips...They can't sell super jet 100 to Iran because they use more than 10% parts made in USA...also their new fighter air crafts and all new modernisation include western,Korean,Japanese and Chinese components..I wouldn't even say that even their state airliner is flying boings and airbus...I'm mentioning this because even countries like Russia that can produce what ever they want gofor foreign components while in same time working on own to reach same level of quality...Iran can't unfortunalely do that...I guarantee you we woul see 4th gen aircraft long time ago if they have access to technology..I mean they would probably do like everyone else..lunch aircraft with foreign engines and latter when domestic became available switch to own engine...But,instead they have to built every shraf byitself..even if they got tech transfer..still you have to built it..built facilites..have quality people..I mean,when Yugoslavi bought t-72A license we got more than 120.000 pages of license but Russians didn't came and build facilites for US,license means only you got project and that is it...we still had to produce SUP(FCS)..engine....gun..every other part..and few first examples actually were made from imported parts..point is ,even if Iran got some project or license still without access to technology,industrial machinery,or some very rare metals..well just look where other countries are in this field..even they can buy anything they want....this is main reason I'm not fast to show how I'm disapointed or throw critics after some projects are delayed... I mean many things Iran is deveeloping now are literary first time they actually do it and you can't expect state of the art from first try...And we have to be realistic...they must do all of this without colapsing economy...if you consider they are engaged in libanon,syria,yemen,iraq..etc..I'm not sure how they succeed to found all of this under constant sanctions, threat of war constantly for 40 years is enoughf alone to throw away anyone thinking to invest money...

Last edited:
Iran’s Aging American-Made Jets Could Fly Through the 2040s

The Iranian regime’s Gen X fighter jets could end up flying for more than sixty years.

By Kyle Mizokami
Feb 11, 2019

Iran is flying antiques.

It's not the only one. After all, we've covered the travails of America's rapidly aging Air Force, such as the fact that airmen could fly and maintain the same B-52s as their grandfathers. But at least the Pentagon has new tech and new planes in the pipeline.

The Iranian military is in a stickier predicament. Political isolation, combined with an unwillingness by many countries to sell Iran new equipment, means its fleet fighters bought in the mid-1970s—from the United States, no less—must fly on for the foreseeable future, with homegrown know-how the main thing keeping them airworthy.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Ally to Enemy
In the 1970s, Iran was a staunch ally of the United States. Ruled by the Shah and financed by oil wealth, Iran purchased huge quantities of American equipment including 166 Northrop F-5E/F Tiger II jets. Based on the F-5A/B Freedom Fighter, the Tiger II was a single-engine fighter capable of both air-to-air and air-to-ground missions. A low-cost, low-maintenance fighter designed for export to America’s allies, the Tiger II was similar to today’s F-16 Fighting Falcon. The plane is obsolete by today’s standards.

The 1979 islamic revolution in Iran radically upset the country’s relationship with the United States. Following the overthrow of the Shan and the Iranian hostage crisis, Washington quickly went from ally to enemy.

That presented a serious problem for the country’s military. Largely using American equipment, but regarding America as an enemy, Iran’s armed forces have struggled to keep the military machine going.

Reverse-Engineering the Present, Cannibalizing the Past
an-iranian-made-saegheh-and-an-f-5-fighter-jet-bomb-targets-news-photo-93687443-1549912085.jpg

An Iranian Saegheh twin-seat F-5 variant and F-5 fly over an explosion, 2009.
GETTY IMAGESAFP
The story of Iran’s Tiger IIs may be the most telling example. According to Aviation Week & Space Technology, the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force still operates 44 F-5Es (single seat jets) and 15 F-5Fs (two seat combat-capable trainers). In the 2000s, Iran’s government instructed the military, government, and even academic world to modernize the jets to a new standard to keep them flying. As a result, today Iran can build most of the parts that make up a Tiger II, but not all of them. It appears the country still has to recycle some parts from Tiger IIs no longer flying.

AWST reports that Iran’s government coordinated a Tiger II upgrade effort that ended up involving “10 top Iranian universities, 72 privately run companies, 44 suppliers and 63 science and research foundations.” Today, the Iranian Turbine Industries Organization can build its own General Electric J85-GE-21 afterburning turbojet engines, the original engine that powers the Tiger II, making 80 percent of the parts. The remaining 20 percent of parts are American-made real General Electric parts likely predating the 1979 revolution.

Iran is now able to produce its own F-5F two-seater jets—mostly. The country can build almost all of the jet, with the exceptions of 5 percent of its avionics systems and 25 percent of its other components. The remaining parts are either purchased on the open market or cannibalized from non-operational Tiger IIs, of which Iran has nearly 100.

The new, modernized F-5Fs have a weird, cobbled-together list of features. The jet uses both GPS and the Russian GLONASS system for navigation. While using GLONASS makes sense, given Iran’s hostility to the United States, the fact that the jet still has GPS is a bit puzzling. The radar set is an Iranian copy of a Chinese copy of an Italian radar. Short-range missile armament includes pre-revolution AIM-9J Sidewinders and Chinese air-to-air missiles.

Iran may some day buy new fighter jets, but until the regime’s political isolation ends, the country’s air force simply must make do.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...44/iran-fighter-jets-american-made-gen-x-f-5/

Iran’s Aging American-Made Jets Could Fly Through the 2040s

The Iranian regime’s Gen X fighter jets could end up flying for more than sixty years.

By Kyle Mizokami
Feb 11, 2019

Iran is flying antiques.

It's not the only one. After all, we've covered the travails of America's rapidly aging Air Force, such as the fact that airmen could fly and maintain the same B-52s as their grandfathers. But at least the Pentagon has new tech and new planes in the pipeline.

The Iranian military is in a stickier predicament. Political isolation, combined with an unwillingness by many countries to sell Iran new equipment, means its fleet fighters bought in the mid-1970s—from the United States, no less—must fly on for the foreseeable future, with homegrown know-how the main thing keeping them airworthy.

Ally to Enemy
In the 1970s, Iran was a staunch ally of the United States. Ruled by the Shah and financed by oil wealth, Iran purchased huge quantities of American equipment including 166 Northrop F-5E/F Tiger II jets. Based on the F-5A/B Freedom Fighter, the Tiger II was a single-engine fighter capable of both air-to-air and air-to-ground missions. A low-cost, low-maintenance fighter designed for export to America’s allies, the Tiger II was similar to today’s F-16 Fighting Falcon. The plane is obsolete by today’s standards.

The 1979 islamic revolution in Iran radically upset the country’s relationship with the United States. Following the overthrow of the Shan and the Iranian hostage crisis, Washington quickly went from ally to enemy.

That presented a serious problem for the country’s military. Largely using American equipment, but regarding America as an enemy, Iran’s armed forces have struggled to keep the military machine going.

Reverse-Engineering the Present, Cannibalizing the Past
an-iranian-made-saegheh-and-an-f-5-fighter-jet-bomb-targets-news-photo-93687443-1549912085.jpg

An Iranian Saegheh twin-seat F-5 variant and F-5 fly over an explosion, 2009.
GETTY IMAGESAFP
The story of Iran’s Tiger IIs may be the most telling example. According to Aviation Week & Space Technology, the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force still operates 44 F-5Es (single seat jets) and 15 F-5Fs (two seat combat-capable trainers). In the 2000s, Iran’s government instructed the military, government, and even academic world to modernize the jets to a new standard to keep them flying. As a result, today Iran can build most of the parts that make up a Tiger II, but not all of them. It appears the country still has to recycle some parts from Tiger IIs no longer flying.

AWST reports that Iran’s government coordinated a Tiger II upgrade effort that ended up involving “10 top Iranian universities, 72 privately run companies, 44 suppliers and 63 science and research foundations.” Today, the Iranian Turbine Industries Organization can build its own General Electric J85-GE-21 afterburning turbojet engines, the original engine that powers the Tiger II, making 80 percent of the parts. The remaining 20 percent of parts are American-made real General Electric parts likely predating the 1979 revolution.

Iran is now able to produce its own F-5F two-seater jets—mostly. The country can build almost all of the jet, with the exceptions of 5 percent of its avionics systems and 25 percent of its other components. The remaining parts are either purchased on the open market or cannibalized from non-operational Tiger IIs, of which Iran has nearly 100.

The new, modernized F-5Fs have a weird, cobbled-together list of features. The jet uses both GPS and the Russian GLONASS system for navigation. While using GLONASS makes sense, given Iran’s hostility to the United States, the fact that the jet still has GPS is a bit puzzling. The radar set is an Iranian copy of a Chinese copy of an Italian radar. Short-range missile armament includes pre-revolution AIM-9J Sidewinders and Chinese air-to-air missiles.

Iran may some day buy new fighter jets, but until the regime’s political isolation ends, the country’s air force simply must make do.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...44/iran-fighter-jets-american-made-gen-x-f-5/
Is "kyle mizokami" babak taghvaees new pseudonym?,because it really sounds like one of his articles. ;)

You know what though ? Iran does need new jets. The reverse engineered F-5's are a good way of supplementing the airforce, however in the next few years the F-4's & oldest jets in Iran's inventory must go.

Is "kyle mizokami" babak taghvaees new pseudonym?,because it really sounds like one of his articles. ;)

This clown calls the F-5A/B a "single-engine fighter" yet wants to tell us the percentage of what component that, Iran does not build herself, when it comes to Iran's F-5E/F based ingenious aircraft. Terrible article!

Ah good old kyle he is notorious for writting about Karrar tank in his Popular Mechanics web and called what, you guess it a mere cardboard with some plastic make up propaganda
If you want to see his face i will show you
Screenshot_2019-02-14-19-31-11-42.png

I Wouldnt be surprised if Iran currently cannot build an entire F-5.

The OWJ has not been shown mass produced and every F-5 variant has been produced in very limited numbers, which points to not having a true mass production line and supply chain available.

Back
Top Bottom