What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

In past couple of years Qaher project was in the shadow what changed all of the sudden ?

وزیر دفاع ادامه داد: انشا الله در روز 31 مرداداز هواپیمایی رونمایی خواهد شد که مراحل مختلف خود را طی کرده است و در روز صنعت دفاعی پرواز خواهد کرد و مردم شاهد یک هواپیمای جنگنده برای پشتیبانی نزدیک از نیروهای مسلح خواهند بود . هواپیمایی هم که چندی پیش شاهد تاکسی کردن آن بودیم هم مراحل پایانی آن به سرعت در حال انجام است.

It seems its not Qaher !

https://www.tasnimnews.com/fa/news/1397/05/28/1806043/وزیر-دفاع-تمرکز-ایران-روی-ارتقای-توان-موشکی-است-دقت-روی-رادارگریزی-و-سامانه-های-ضد-موشک

upload_2018-8-19_12-47-59.png

https://www.tasnimnews.com/fa/news/...دیدترین-جنگنده-ایرانی-31-مرداد-رونمایی-می-شود

It's a Close Air Support fighter!!!

Not a stealth fighter or an Air superiority fighter or a long range bomber!!!

I personally think is a complete waist of time and money for Iran to waist time on light close Air support fighters in a country the size of Iran and Iranian military leaders should have learned that lesson in the Iran-Iraq war where what required 40 F-5's to accomplish could have been done with 10-12 F-4's

With the threat from the New U.S. administration if it was up to me I would mainly be focusing on the following

1.Increasing production of Fatteh-110, Fatteh-313 & Zolfagar to a mass production rate of 1000 of each per year.

2.In terms of liquid fuel Ballistic Missiles Iran should focus on wider diameter BM equipped with MIRV
For example with the right MIRV on the Khorramshar producing 50 of them per year will be equivalent to producing 200 Emad in terms of payload delivery to targets beyond 1500km so over all I may even reduce production or cancel production of some liquid fuel missiles to be replaced by more economically sound and more capable missiles

3.In terms of Solid Fuel Iran still needs a 1.5 stage missiles with a 1st stage solid fuel booster that's heavier than the Zolfaghar but is about half the weight of the Sejil-2 built for hitting targets between 800-1700km with a cep of under 50 meters and a 800-1000lb payload (Something similar to the Pershing2)

View attachment 493106

https://www.tasnimnews.com/fa/news/...دیدترین-جنگنده-ایرانی-31-مرداد-رونمایی-می-شود

I personally think is a complete waist of time and money for Iran to waist time on light close Air support fighters in a country the size of Iran and Iranian military leaders should have learned that lesson in the Iran-Iraq war where what required 40 F-5's to accomplish could have been done with 10-12 F-4's

With the threat from the New U.S. administration if it was up to me I would mainly be focusing on the following

1.Increasing production of Fatteh-110, Fatteh-313 & Zolfagar to a mass production rate of 1000 of each per year.

2.In terms of liquid fuel Ballistic Missiles Iran should focus on wider diameter BM equipped with MIRV
For example with the right MIRV on the Khorramshar producing 50 of them per year will be equivalent to producing 200 Emad in terms of payload delivery to targets beyond 1500km so over all I may even reduce production or cancel production of some liquid fuel missiles to be replaced by more economically sound and more capable missiles

3.In terms of Solid Fuel Iran still needs a 1.5 stage missiles with a 1st stage solid fuel booster that's heavier than the Zolfaghar but is about half the weight of the Sejil-2 built for hitting targets between 800-1700km with a cep of under 50 meters and a 800-1000lb payload (Something similar to the Pershing2)

Iran needs aircraft that can hope to protect Iranian air space.

View attachment 493106

If it can be a naval attack fighter, it will fill a need nitch.

Iran would be attacked from some carrier group. Can these fighters can deploy antiship missiles.

50 fighters launching multiple antiship missiles at a carrier group at the same time would be a joy.

View attachment 493106

looks like everyone agreed that it must be something similar to F-5 .

"It's a Close Air Support fighter!!!"

UAVs can be used for this role too . they are cheaper and in long term you will save much more resource by using them so why building low cost fighter jets is approved ?

the only logical reason I can come up with is fighter jets unlike UAVs are moral boosters for your ground forces and moral crushers for enemy forces .I know its a double edge sword but as long as your enemy have same level technology or lower than yours it could be a very useful tool .

That was Shafaq not Kowsar and It was a joint project to produce m-ATF

After that they unveiled Yak-130 ?
0_12913e_ecb207d0_XXL

People seem to forget before Koswar was unveiled there was a project called Borhan (B-92) which was a modified fighter from Shafagh project.

Ira_indigenously_made_Borhan_fighter_aircraft_successfully_passed_wind_tunnel_tests_640_001.jpg

We expected Borhan to be unveiled at time of Kowsar (~2 yrs) ago but instead got Kowsar.

People seem to forget before Koswar was unveiled there was a project called Borhan (B-92) which was a modified fighter from Shafagh project.

Ira_indigenously_made_Borhan_fighter_aircraft_successfully_passed_wind_tunnel_tests_640_001.jpg

We expected Borhan to be unveiled at time of Kowsar (~2 yrs) ago but instead got Kowsar.

wasnt Borhan in cooperation with Russia, but they backed out of it? (they didnt delivered the engines..)

I think there is a high chance it could be Qaher - 313.

Did Kosar ever taxi? because the anchor asks DM "Is this the same airplane that did taxi recently?" DM answers "No it is another airplane. The one that did taxi is a training jet which is also in the final stages of development."

Qaher is not a training jet.

Something like an upgraded SU-25 would be a great first real plane for mass production in Iran. Russia still produces fourth gen close air support SU-25s. They should be inexpensive at 5-10 million pound sterling per plane considering the cost of the Russian ones.

Syria would certainly be a customer needing some Iranian versions of the S-300s (Bavar-373) along with Iranian versions of the SU-25s.

If it is supersonic and more like the SU-34 than the SU-25, capable of air superiority too, Iran is well under way in their fighter development.

Being about to produce a 4th generation fighter puts Iran in a small club of nations.

im not really expecting something "groundbreaking"
I think Iran still needs, at least, an decade to produce something complicated like an fighter
maybe there is some secret russian cooperation regarding the engines..

wasnt Borhan in cooperation with Russia, but they backed out of it? (they didnt delivered the engines..)

No, Borhan is what came out of that project. It was an Iranian attempt to modernize the Shafagh fighter. It was supposedly going to use J-85 engines.

Last update I believe was 2015 when it was undergoing last stages of tests before flight.

I think there is a high chance it could be Qaher - 313.

Did Kosar ever taxi? because the anchor asks DM "Is this the same airplane that did taxi recently?" DM answers "No it is another airplane. The one that did taxi is a training jet which is also in the final stages of development."

Qaher is not a training jet.

Yes Kosar taxi’d last year. And even did full engine test while stationary on runway. In some regards it’s way ahead of Qaher project.

If it was Qaher he would mention it by name as it is a very well known project.

It is likely Borhan project that will be unveiled, we been waiting for it.

im not really expecting something "groundbreaking"
I think Iran still needs, at least, an decade to produce something complicated like an fighter
maybe there is some secret russian cooperation regarding the engines..

A Borhan project makes sense since it would be very similar to a YAK-130. It would be an Advance Trainer + a close air support aicraft.

Thus Kosar and Borhan will fulfill the trainer roles (light and advance respectively) and Borhan will additionally be used as close air support fighter.

If Borhan like Kosar uses F-5 body then it reduces building costs even further and allows for modernization of F-5 force into something that is actually useful rather than a 1950’s era aircraft.

Eventually the entire F-5 force will fall into 3 modernization “blocks”: Kosar, Borhan, and Saeghe III/IV

Borhan is a reasonable option. However it didn't look serious enough in terms of support and as Kowsar was ahead in development one would have to ask why they go for two different trainers.

Whether a single engine CAS aircraft is robust enough.

Maybe the IRGC witnessed the value Syrian L-39 had in Syria and pushed for something like it because Kowsar is too light for that role.
But again: Qaher was also called close support aircraft. So it is still open.

upload_2018-8-19_12-47-59-png.493106

UAVs can be used for this role too . they are cheaper and in long term you will save much more resource by using them so why building low cost fighter jets is approved ?
DCxTJ65.jpg

https://www.tasnimnews.com/fa/news/...له-fast-taxi-آخرین-وضعیت-خرید-سوخو30-از-روسیه

Borhan is a reasonable option. However it didn't look serious enough in terms of support and as Kowsar was ahead in development one would have to ask why they go for two different trainers.

Maybe the IRGC witnessed the value Syrian L-39 had in Syria and pushed for something like it because Kowsar is too light for that role.

A fully fledged Borhan would be the equivalent of a YAK-130 for Iran. That is literally one of the best CAS and advance heavy trainers available. Both Iran and syria showed interest in the fighter.

The Kosar is a LIGHT advanced trainer used to train early pilots. It’s battlefield use would be quite limited unless pressed to desperation situation (ie Syria Civil war type scenario)

The Borhan would be BOTH a heavy advanced trainer and CAS for Iran. Together with the Kosar they would fulfill Iran’s training needs and modernize the F-5 Force.

Apparently pilots in Iran, “love” the F-5. Which explains the obsession of keeping the force modernized.

Qaher is an experimental project that could eventually end up being something different or nothing at all. Furthermore, Qaher is at least another 5-7 years away (possibly longer) from intial production.

Iran needs to replace its trainers and F-5 force as well as its SU-25 Force.

A single J-85 will never have enough power for an effective CAS airplane

Back
Top Bottom