Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
New batch

EZ2lqd6XkAcHAVw

EZ2lqyrWsAA7cSQ

EZ2lrK8WAAAkGNg

Last edited:
@RB200 They are not "shia militia", They are our allies and partners. "militia" is a label used by the muricans when they want to delegitimize our allies so they keep labeling them as "militia".
Actually, they are a militia, i.e. a military force raised from the civilian population of Iraq.
The problem is emphasizing that they are a Shiite militia. That's what the Americans want. Sectarianism.

Actually, they are a militia, i.e. a military force raised from the civilian population of Iraq.
The problem is emphasizing that they are a Shiite militia. That's what the Americans want. Sectarianism.

while militia is softer language . its still derogatory. especially when added with a sectarian label like "shia militia"

this instantly alienates them from non-shia Iraqis. even though so called "shia militias" (popular mobilization units) include many non-shias.

have you ever heard the YPG being called "Kurdish militia" by the americans ?

its still propaganda language used to indicate some sort of illegal armed group. when these armed men are officialy connected to the central government, are paid by the government, and played a huge national security role and continue to play a huge national security role in keeping isis monkeys down.

labels are important.. sectarian militia, proxy, terrorists are just some delegitimizing labels American propaganda uses.

We call them our Iraqi allies.

while militia is softer language . its still derogatory. especially when added with a sectarian label like "shia militia"

its still propaganda language used to indicate some sort of illegal armed group. when these armed men are officialy connected to the central government, are paid by the government, and played a huge national security role and continue to play a huge national security role in keeping isis monkeys down.

labels are important.. sectarian militia, proxy, terrorists are just some delegitimizing labels American propaganda uses.

I answer both posts the same way.

The word militia might have negative connotations in today's media, but nevertheless, it is not derogatory. Jihad means struggle in Arabic and in Islamic terms, it means struggling for improvement to serve God's purpose better, but today Jihad is almost synonymous to terrorism in Western media. It doesn't change the actual definition of Jihad. Does it?

The meaning of militia is a group of civilian people that supplement the armed forces of a country in times of emergency. That's exactly what Hashd Al-Shaabi is. Basij is a militia too. There's nothing to be ashamed of.

The word militia might have negative connotations in today's media, but nevertheless, it is not derogatory. Jihad means struggle in Arabic and in Islamic terms, it means struggling for improvement to serve God's purpose better, but today Jihad is almost synonymous to terrorism in Western media. It doesn't change the actual definition of Jihad. Does it?

The meaning of militia is a group of civilian people that supplement the armed forces of a country in times of emergency. That's exactly what Hashd Al-Shaabi is. Basij is a militia too. Nothing to be ashamed of.

one of the main commanders of Vietnams military in the US Vietnam war famously told his soldiers:

"do not fear the enemy, for the worse they can do is take your life. Fear their media, for they can take your honor"

just think about how true those words are. and the power of media manipulation. I think you are being naïve in this situation when you look at dictionary definitions. dictionary definitions are secondary to current day understanding of language. the word "jihad" has an even more negative connotations in the west, and only used on enemies.

you never see it used on pro-American jihadists attacking anti-American governments like the afghan communist government/Syrian government.

there is a very good reason American propaganda calls Iraqi popular mobilization units as "shia militia". and I explained to you above. it doesn't get any more clear cut propaganda then this.

one of the main commanders of Vietnams military in the US Vietnam war famously told his soldiers:

"do not fear the enemy, for the worse they can do is take your life. Fear their media, for they can take your honor"

just think about how true those words are. and the power of media manipulation. I think you are being naïve in this situation when you look at dictionary definitions. dictionary definitions are secondary to current day understanding of language. the word "jihad" has an even more negative connotations in the west, and only used on enemies.

you never see it used on pro-American jihadists attacking anti-American governments like the afghan communist government/Syrian government.

there is a very good reason American propaganda calls Iraqi popular mobilization units as "shia militia". and I explained to you above. it doesn't get any more clear cut propaganda then this.

So, if I understand you correctly, the US media define what words mean from now on?

So, if the US media call General Soleimani a terrorist, we should accept that because the US media say that?

Your argument is ridiculous to say the least. The US media can condemn Iran's use of militias, but that doesn't mean that we should accept their twisted definition of militia. If anything, we should fight back and let people know the actual definition of the word.

And in case you missed to understand, when the US media call them "Shiite militia", they are emphasizing the Shiite part, not the militia part. Why? Because they want to feed sectarian hatred in the region.

Last edited:
Muricans call YPG & PKK as "Our Kurdish allies" "Our Kurdish partners" but when it comes to us its "Iran backed militia".

The word militia might have negative connotations in today's media, but nevertheless, it is not derogatory.
Usage & meaning of words change by time, For example the word 'Cuck' is an old insult even by Shakespeare in his books, It's old usage doesn't have any racist background to it, But nowadays thanks to alt-lite alt-right racists in 4chan now it's an insult that has racist implication, Words in a language should be used as how people currently understand them.

Muricans call YPG & PKK as "Our Kurdish allies" "Our Kurdish partners" but when it comes to us its "Iran backed militia".

Usage & meaning of words change by time, For example the word 'Cuck' is an old insult even by Shakespeare in his books, It's old usage doesn't have any racist background to it, But nowadays thanks to alt-lite alt-right racists in 4chan now it's an insult that has racist implication, Words in a language should be used as how people currently understand them.
I don't see how websites like 4chan, 9gag, reddit or quora are relevant to any of this.

The US media will continue to advertise our allies in the region in a negative way, no matter what label we use for them. And as I told you, the emphasis of the US media is more on 'Shiite' than militia because they advertise throughout the Muslim world that Iran is building a Shiite empire.

Stopping to call PMU a militia is a passive move against the US media influence. And it will be an ineffective one. The only one way to stand against the influence of the US media is to create our own media. And we haven't been successful at that for a thousand reasons that are off topic but it deserves to be discussed thoroughly on a separate topic.

------------------------------------
Also, see these Wikipedia entries:
Militia organizations in the United States
List of militia organizations in the United States

Last edited:
I don't see how websites like 4chan, 9gag, reddit or quora are relevant to any of this.
It's an example on how usage of words change with time.
Word militia by google:
  1. a military force that is raised from the civil population to supplement a regular army in an emergency.
  2. a military force that engages in rebel or terrorist activities in opposition to a regular army.
This is what pimpeo means when he goes around and spews "Iran backed militia".
The US media will continue to advertise our allies in the region in a negative way, no matter what label we use for them. And as I told you, the emphasis of the US media is more on 'Shiite' than militia because they advertise throughout the Muslim world that Iran is building a Shiite empire.
Good, You take the opposite direction and call them our Iraqi allies.

It's an example on how usage of words change with time.
Word militia by google:
  1. a military force that is raised from the civil population to supplement a regular army in an emergency.
  2. a military force that engages in rebel or terrorist activities in opposition to a regular army.
This is what pimpeo means when he goes around and spews "Iran backed militia".

Good, You take the opposite direction and call them our Iraqi allies.

I edited my previous post. See these Wikipedia entries for militia groups inside the United States:

And the second definition obviously does not apply to the PMU because they are not fighting against the Iraqi Armed Forces, but they are supplementing them.

And no, I will take the opposite direction by letting people know that being a militia group does not mean anything bad necessarily. That's the correct way of fighting against propaganda and misinformation.

I edited my previous post. See these Wikipedia entries for militia groups inside the United States:

And the second definition obviously does not apply to the PMU because they are not fighting against the Iraqi Armed Forces, but they are supplementing them.

And no, I will take the opposite direction by letting people know that being a militia group does not mean anything bad necessarily. That's the correct way of fighting against propaganda and misinformation.
I take the adult position and call them our Iraqi allies. You call them millitia and then try to explain the word militia to your target audience, Try to take back it's meaning.

Back
Top Bottom