What's new

Iranian UAVs | News and Discussions

Liking a post does not imply an endorsement of everything written within it. I never made any such posts insulting those people myself, let alone posting gore images of their dead bodies, then try to post in the Turkish forums like everything is fine. I challenge you to find even one post where I ever mentioned those people, let alone insulted them.
This is very dishonest but I can't be bothered with finding all the heinous shit you liked and posting them here.

I was genuinely curious about Karrar, if more details come out tag me here otherwise I'm not interested.

He is an outcast of Turkish forum also.

After the coup in Egypt, his avatar was a middle finger in Ikhwani style. Yellow avatar.

He does not go to Turkish forum anymore.
I had my doubts about joining in the first place. That whole place is a den of snakes.

I prefer it here, I don't have a thin skin. HGV or anybody else calling me names matters not, I can give them back their own medicine.

I like this, it's like wild west. :-)

This is very dishonest but I can't be bothered with finding all the heinous shit you liked and posting them here.

I was genuinely curious about Karrar, if more details come out tag me here otherwise I'm not interested.

I had my doubts about joining in the first place. That whole place is a den of snakes.

I prefer it here, I don't have a thin skin. HGV or anybody else calling me names matters not, I can give them back their own medicine.

I like this, it's like wild west. :-)
You’re welcome here. Seems though, you gave a habit of shitting where you eat. 😀

Don’t shit where you eat.😍

Last edited:
That's disappointing, what radar that might be? and any electro optics? What's the resolution on those?
There are some versions with e/o in the nose,tho as to the specs who can say?
Karrar_UAV_8.jpg

Karrar_UAV_Truck.jpg

Drone on the left has optronics fitted
Karrar_UAV-9.jpg

This one still has the protective cover fitted over the lens of the optronics.
karar_fa.jpg

Theres a video below of a karrar performing an intercept on another karrar,you can see the view from the onboard eo (best bits are around 1:00)
https://iswnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/Karrar_drone.mp4

There are some versions with e/o in the nose,tho as to the specs who can say?
Karrar_UAV_8.jpg

Karrar_UAV_Truck.jpg

Drone on the left has optronics fitted
Karrar_UAV-9.jpg

This one still has the protective cover fitted over the lens of the optronics.
karar_fa.jpg

Theres a video below of a karrar performing an intercept on another karrar,you can see the view from the onboard eo (best bits are around 1:00)
https://iswnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/Karrar_drone.mp4
Thank you. I'm sure the resolution of the IR camera can be deduced from analyzing that video

Just curious why they wouldn't put that in all Karrar drones. How much could it cost really? Having an extra eye in the sky should be definitely worth it.

Although for reconnaissance you would probably want that in a rotating gimbal. Nose placement only makes sense for the air-to-air interceptor model.

Thank you. I'm sure the resolution of the IR camera can be deduced from analyzing that video

Just curious why they wouldn't put that in all Karrar drones. How much could it cost really? Having an extra eye in the sky should be definitely worth it.

Although for reconnaissance you would probably want that in a rotating gimbal. Nose placement only makes sense for the air-to-air interceptor model.
They've built these Karrars for probably more than a decade now so the older versions will be just for ground attack on fixed targets or build of up equipment or something like that. Stuff that doesn't move or will probably not move for a while. Now you can do low-risk bombing runs on the cheap.

After that, they've been getting creative with them for different roles. I'm not even sure if they are building the original ground attack version anymore since their are some other projects that could be in progress. AA ones seem to be getting more and more seen, so production line is probably still active. No need to convert the ground attack ones since they'll still need those.

Maybe someone here knows if theirs an EW one as well?

He does not go to Turkish forum anymore.
To be fair, some people in there are genuinely unhinged and cannot even be conversed with on any level.

To be fair, some people in there are genuinely unhinged and cannot even be conversed with on any level.
For me it was the attitude of the moderators, give them a little power and they think they are royalty.

They want to act like your boss and for you to obey them. Only a conformist pussy can survive there.

After that, they've been getting creative with them for different roles. I'm not even sure if they are building the original ground attack version anymore
God I hope not, they looked archaic when they first came out. I remember laughing about it. We were working on ANKA-A at the time (how the time flies?) and trying to get the Aselflir 300T to a high enough altitude to satisfy the air force and here comes Iran with a dumb bomb attached to an ancient UAV. It looked bizzare

Shahed 129 came out later and it's a thousand times better

No need to convert the ground attack ones since they'll still need those.
I think they should modernize them, a rotating gimbal with a small day camera and laser target designator could allow it to do some precision strikes

it could be a relatively cheap modernization. Could be worth it.

Otherwise Iran is on the right track with Shahed 149.

Last edited:
God I hope not, they looked archaic when they first came out. I remember laughing about it. We were working on ANKA-A at the time (how the time flies?) and trying to get the Aselflir 300T to a high enough altitude to satisfy the air force and here comes Iran with a dumb bomb attached to an ancient UAV. It looked bizzare

Shahed 129 came out later and it's a thousand times better
Operational, I think this system would be very useful in contested airspace. Low flying, and can strike an area with a 500lb bomb autonomously. Yes it is rigid in its operation, but it has uses, and would have a useful in Ukraine for Russia if they had it in large numbers.

Low risk airpower, cheap to operate, can use cluster munitions as well, and can be used in large numbers at a time. You can't adjust it to use it on a moving target but if you send 10 at a time, you can bomb 10 points with 500lb bombs or cluster bombs that would wreck a 3km x 3km area.

Perhaps if they sent waves and waves of this into Bakhmut and surrounding areas, it would've greatly assisted them. Artillery shelling is one thing, but a 500lb bomb can knock down a building

You shouldn't dismiss systems like that because they look different or utilizes methods that are considered unconventional. These are built with experience in mind and you'd often find in real war, alot of unconventional ideas become the most practical and realistic. In contrast the Shahed-129 has little usefulness in that war.
I think they should modernize them, a rotating gimbal with a small day camera and laser target designator could allow it to do some precision strikes

it could be a relatively cheap modernization. Could be worth it.
They might've already moved on from that design to something else that incorporates more stealth characteristics and ability to be modular. Karrar as a design is very rigid. This system could be around 15 years old now. They can do much better now.

Operational, I think this system would be very useful in contested airspace. Low flying, and can strike an area with a 500lb bomb autonomously. Yes it is rigid in its operation, but it has uses, and would have a useful in Ukraine for Russia if they had it in large numbers.

Low risk airpower, cheap to operate, can use cluster munitions as well, and can be used in large numbers at a time. You can't adjust it to use it on a moving target but if you send 10 at a time, you can bomb 10 points with 500lb bombs or cluster bombs that would wreck a 3km x 3km area.

Perhaps if they sent waves and waves of this into Bakhmut and surrounding areas, it would've greatly assisted them. Artillery shelling is one thing, but a 500lb bomb can knock down a building

You shouldn't dismiss systems like that because they look different or utilizes methods that are considered unconventional. These are built with experience in mind and you'd often find in real war, alot of unconventional ideas become the most practical and realistic. In contrast the Shahed-129 has little usefulness in that war.

They might've already moved on from that design to something else that incorporates more stealth characteristics and ability to be modular. Karrar as a design is very rigid. This system could be around 15 years old now. They can do much better now.

The main issue with Karrar is that it's built like a cruise missile, 15 years? The core design is more like 50 years old and I don't think it is that cheap. One thing it's got going for it is speed. Which makes sense in this latest interceptor role, but it's limited to only visual range through one IR camera in the nose.

Otherwise I think it's more appropriate to call it a reusable cruise missile than an UAV because it's just not useful in reconnaissance at all.

And Iran needs reconnaissance. There's already an ungodly amount of missiles to throw. They are all worthless if you don't know where the enemy is.

The main issue with Karrar is that it's built like a cruise missile, 15 years? The core design is more like 50 years old and I don't think it is that cheap. One thing it's got going for it is speed. Which makes sense in this latest interceptor role, but it's limited to only visual range through one IR camera in the nose.
The main barrier for any UAV was always it's navigation, communication and GNSS. Sure the core is old, but so is a bomb, a gravity bomb is almost 100 years old now, it's the smartness of it that makes it modern.

So to be able to navigate to the place you want it to go accurately, to drop a munition accurately, to be able to change mission plans remotely requires tech that is only really started to be available in the early 2000s. Like GPS.

The production of the cruise missile engine is not cheap, but it's not the system itself that is the main factor when it comes to cost. An aircraft or an artillery unit, will expend so much more in ammunition that the value of the system itself. Your main cost of warfare is not the 5million$ drone but the 10,000k smart missile it uses and it's flight cost. So the Karrar having cheap flight costs and can drop a dumb bomb with a good CEP is key to the ability maintaining the ability to operate with consistent firepower.
Otherwise I think it's more appropriate to call it a reusable cruise missile than an UAV because it's just not useful in reconnaissance at all.
UAV kinda implies loitering so I agree with that. This system can't loiter for long since its engine burns fuel quite fast.
And Iran needs reconnaissance. There's already an ungodly amount of missiles to throw. They are all worthless if you don't know where the enemy is.
True, and that's why Iran also has an ungodly amount of recon assets that started production in early 2000s. I'm talking thousands of small recon UAVs. A kin to this in size.

1696914544260.png

Not particularly large, low flight time, but it is a recon asset in very large numbers. Alot of these were being produced in the early 2000s when the tech for combat UAVs wasn't available, and mastery of heavier turboprop engines wasn't available for making bigger UAVs (until Shahed-129 of course around 2012). Even commercially made engines can be use for this weight class so you can imagine producing 1000s isn't hard. I don't see why UAVs like these also cannot be upgraded with small and newer higher res cameras as well, so they will be very relevant.

Higher grade and far ranged ISR will have to be done with the other assets (and more is needed, much more in this area, starting with more satellites ), This is the main area of weakness, The long range ISR is not at a level where for example, if Iran wanted to fire at IDF forces that have built up artillery units 20km from Lebanon, it wouldn't be able to find the coordinates to target (Edit: Quickly I should say, the latest Sat available, might be sufficient but how often does it pass near Israel?). Or locate forward operating bases. Besides that front line recon is pretty well covered.

If someone has that picture of the sheet that showed production units in the 1000s of UAVs for older gen stuff, please post it. I can't remember where I found it.

Last edited:
These are all very very nice and fascinating. however, there is one more question,
HOW WILL IRAN REACT IN CASE OF A WARE WHEN IT IS ATTACKED WITH NUCLEAR WEAPONS first TO NEUTRALIZE THEIR MISSILE CITIES AND MULTI LAYER AIR DEFENSE?
Keeping in mind that you don't have THE BOMB to retaliate or to keep your enemy from using a nuclear weapon in their first wave of attack before lunching their conventional forces.

These are all very very nice and fascinating. however, there is one more question,
HOW WILL IRAN REACT IN CASE OF A WARE WHEN IT IS ATTACKED WITH NUCLEAR WEAPONS first TO NEUTRALIZE THEIR MISSILE CITIES AND MULTI LAYER AIR DEFENSE?
Keeping in mind that you don't have THE BOMB to retaliate or to keep your enemy from using a nuclear weapon in their first wave of attack before lunching their conventional forces.
1) This is the Iranian UAV thread, not the nuclear war scenario thread.
2) There is no precedent for such a massive nuclear first strike in the world. It will open the gates of Armageddon in the world.

Ambiguity

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom