What's new

Iranian UAVs | News and Discussions

It’s ShAhid (‘witness’). Not ‘Shaheed’ (martyr). Two different words and pronunciations albeit same root.
True, but tbh the name "Shaheed" would be a better name for Shahed-136/Shahed-131 type drones considering their role than "Shahed".

True, but tbh the name "Shaheed" would be a better name for Shahed-136/Shahed-131 type drones considering their role than "Shahed".
we don't have any weapon system called Shahid , probably because of the religious aspect of that name.
also the name come from the group that designed them (Shahed Aviation Industries Research Center)

Shahed-131 and Shahed-136 are the only drones in their line of drones that are one time use

we don't have any weapon system called Shahid , probably because of the religious aspect of that name.
also the name come from the group that designed them (Shahed Aviation Industries Research Center)

Shahed-131 and Shahed-136 are the only drones in their line of drones that are one time use
You're right. I just think the meaning of "Shaheed" would be more descriptive of its role. Maybe that's also where some of the confusion around its name is coming from.

You're right. I just think the meaning of "Shaheed" would be more descriptive of its role. Maybe that's also where some of the confusion around its name is coming from.
I don’t understand. How does ‘martyr’ fit in role of a loitering munition (پرسه زن) designed to destroy enemy assets?

I don’t believe there’s confusion. It’s lack of knowledge.

Unlikely. ‘Ishtihad — martyrdom, shaheed — martyr’ are reserved to the domain of humanity not machines.

‘ShAhid — witness’ is something else altogether.

That said all these words are Arabic and rooted in ‘sh-h-d — شهد’. Other examples are ‘Mashhad—place of the martyr’, ‘shohada—martyrs (plural)’,

And last but not least ‘ اشهد ان محمد رسول الله — I testify/I WITNESS….’.

So, no, ‘shaheed and shAhid’ albeit tightly related, are pronounced quite differently and have entirely different applications.

Unlikely. ‘Ishtihad — martyrdom, shaheed — martyr’ are reserved to the domain of humanity not machines.

‘ShAhid — witness’ is something else altogether.

That said all these words are Arabic and rooted in ‘sh-h-d — شهد’. Other examples are ‘Mashhad—place of the martyr’, ‘shohada—martyrs (plural)’,

And last but not least ‘ اشهد ان محمد رسول الله — I testify/I WITNESS….’.

So, no, ‘shaheed and shAhid’ albeit tightly related, are pronounced quite differently and have entirely different applications.
I was just saying that "Shaheed" would be a better description for a drone that homes into targets and physically destroys itself in the process than "Shahed" since it doesn't "observe/witness" anything, except for some high-end variants. Let’s just forget about it :laugh:

I was just saying that "Shaheed" would be a better description for a drone that homes into targets and physically destroys itself in the process than "Shahed" since it doesn't "observe/witness" anything, except for some high-end variants. Let’s just forget about it :laugh:
I'm aware of the differences between Martyr and Witness, but I was no sure how to spell it in English.

I think Shahead is the most accurate spelling since it sounds closest to "Witness"

I'm aware of the differences between Martyr and Witness, but I was no sure how to spell it in English.

I think Shahead is the most accurate spelling since it sounds closest to "Witness"
There is no such thing as 'correct' spelling of a different language...phonetics are the best way. As such, shA-hid, is the closest phonetically to the Persian term. shA-hed or shAhead (as you noted) are close but still not entirely correct. hid and head are pronounced differently in 'standard' English--hid being almost identical to the Persian term in question. . Similarly there are directly phonetic mappings of each to Persian and local accents. 'shAheed' (as in naveed, seed, read) , however, is outright incorrect pronunciation.

Toloue jet engine components
media%2FFl5iMf8XwAMmzw2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom