What's new

Iranian UAVs | News and Discussions

Accuracy of Houthis drone is interesting, it hits the lower part of the tank to spil the oil as well.

Can't even see it to determine what it is. Super stealth technology lol.

It's gotta be decently big though for it to have the range...

Can't even see it to determine what it is. Super stealth technology lol.

It's gotta be decently big though for it to have the range...

It's the fact that such drones fly at ultra-low altitude and at relatively slow velocity. Traditional anti-air radar easily lose them in background clutter or cannot spot them until it is too late (due to curvature of the planet).

Turns out sofre mahi was being seriously pursued even after the capture of the rq170, with its development costs probably rivalling the IRGC rq170/shahed.
Is that why we say a RC model of it crashing like a few months ago? Although if they are still at the RC stage, it doesn't look like they are very far.

Edit: Apparently from the video, quite an expensive project to invest in. Although not clear how far along the process they are. I presume naturally the turbofan engine is the biggest issue that is being worked on by other industries to solve as current engines that available are not sufficient for the role.

If Russia would be willing to provide RD-33 engine to Iran it could really speed up development for many ideas that are on the shelf, but that is doubtful so It's best to expect something being developed in the pipeline.

Last edited:
Is that why we say a RC model of it crashing like a few months ago? Although if they are still at the RC stage, it doesn't look like they are very far.

Edit: Apparently from the video, quite an expensive project to invest in. Although not clear how far along the process they are. I presume naturally the turbofan engine is the biggest issue that is being worked on by other industries to solve as current engines that available are not sufficient for the role.

If Russia would be willing to provide RD-33 engine to Iran it could really speed up development for many ideas that are on the shelf, but that is doubtful so It's best to expect something being developed in the pipeline.
rd-33 for Sofremahi ? how big the drone supposed to be ?

rd-33 for Sofremahi ? how big the drone supposed to be ?
I was speaking more generally for other projects that are stuck, not specifically for Sofreh Mahi which we are not sure of the size or specifications. I don't think they want to use a light turbofan like Jahesh, so I assume it will be larger.

Russian surveillance drone uses cheap Canon SLR camera. Well it's surely cost effective but seriously putting used parts in there ? I mean if the shutter count is low then I mean, I guess whatever works but it's not even a high end Canon SLR. I just assumed that they would be able to produce such technology themselves or purchase brand new parts from a Chinese manufacturer ?

So the SLR camera (Canon EOS 750D SLR) costs around $500 USD and the single cylinder motor (Saito FA-62B) costs around $300. There are 11 different variants of the Orlon-10, but it starts at $80,000-$120,000. Although a system is made up of 3-5 of these. So I'm not sure if the price tag includes a few or just one. $100,000 would seem very overpriced for just one of these to be honest.

Russian surveillance drone uses cheap Canon SLR camera. Well it's surely cost effective but seriously putting used parts in there ? I mean if the shutter count is low then I mean, I guess whatever works but it's not even a high end Canon SLR. I just assumed that they would be able to produce such technology themselves or purchase brand new parts from a Chinese manufacturer ?

So the SLR camera (Canon EOS 750D SLR) costs around $500 USD and the single cylinder motor (Saito FA-62B) costs around $300. There are 11 different variants of the Orlon-10, but it starts at $80,000-$120,000. Although a system is made up of 3-5 of these. So I'm not sure if the price tag includes a few or just one. $100,000 would seem very overpriced for just one of these to be honest.

That is why Russian systems and platforms are so unreliable and have such short shelf lives - they are using civilian grade components that are engineered for lower lifespans and a narrow range of environmental conditions in their military products!!!

Military grade sensor, microprocessors and electronics have very high standards of design, tesing, validation and certification as they are designed for shelf-lives of 20+ years under a very wide range of environmental conditions. More if you consider how long Mirages have operated in the PAF !

So - never buy "modern" Russian military junk as it will contain consumer level equipment and not full military grade components.

( you can argue these systems are meant to be cheap and disposable - but you the shelf life is an important consideration as you need them to be operational QUICKLY and reliabily in units of days..)

True it's cheaply built but it's also extremely cost effective. At the same time I've read that there are 11 variations of the Orlon-10, so who knows which specific variant this was. If Toyota trucks can be used in armies and militias all over the world, I guess so can Canon. I've read that one system comes with 3-5 drones as well as an operating station built into a truck. That would justify the $80-$120,000 price tag.

These are short range, low flying UAVs used for targeting. Supposedly, they have yielded great results, which is why more than 1000 of these UAVs have been built. At the same time you have to consider the fact that if the Canon camera breaks down, it can easily and cheaply be repaired or replaced.

That is why Russian systems and platforms are so unreliable and have such short shelf lives - they are using civilian grade components that are engineered for lower lifespans and a narrow range of environmental conditions in their military products!!!

Military grade sensor, microprocessors and electronics have very high standards of design, tesing, validation and certification as they are designed for shelf-lives of 20+ years under a very wide range of environmental conditions. More if you consider how long Mirages have operated in the PAF !

So - never buy "modern" Russian military junk as it will contain consumer level equipment and not full military grade components.

( you can argue these systems are meant to be cheap and disposable - but you the shelf life is an important consideration as you need them to be operational QUICKLY and reliabily in units of days..)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom