What's new

Iranian Space program

From the interview the Soroosh is actually a (years away) 4m liquid fuel SLV.
The Qaem is probably a military SLV program at this point and only IRGC deals with it.

Have they said anything about cryogenic engine development? What engine will they use for that 4m diameter beast?

So the next Iran SAT will start from another country, maybe russia, and next SLV will have solid boosters? Sorry, thats what google translater says :meeting:
No, it is talking about the costs per kg. He says the contract value for this Sat launch is $3.5M or around $15k per kg of sat weight. He says in future and using solid fuel carriers, they will bring it down to below $10k per kg. Then he says for a similar launch another country is charging $80M.

First development on the road map is to add another stage to Simorgh SLV which will be called Sarir. Later we will have a 4m diameter solid fuel SLV called Soroush which can reach Geo.

No, it is talking about the costs per kg. He says the contract value for this Sat launch is $3.5M or around $15k per kg of sat weight. He says in future and using solid fuel carriers, they will bring it down to below $10k per kg. Then he says for a similar launch another country is charging $80M.

First development on the road map is to add another stage to Simorgh SLV which will be called Sarir. Later we will have a 4m diameter solid fuel SLV called Soroush which can reach Geo.

Would love to see where he is getting his numbers from.

Most SLVs now launch MULTIPLE sometimes 50+ more satellites in a single launch with insurance if their is catastrophic failure.

I am sure Iran will not insure any satellites from damage and the number he is comparing to needs reference if the satellite is being launch alone or in a cluster with other satellites as is now the case with most launches.

Nevertheless, $3.5 million is still pretty cheap for a foreign company who wants Iran to launch a satellite. For Iranian company that is around 40 million toman.

Would love to see where he is getting his numbers from.

Most SLVs now launch MULTIPLE sometimes 50+ more satellites in a single launch with insurance if their is catastrophic failure.

I am sure Iran will not insure any satellites from damage and the number he is comparing to needs reference if the satellite is being launch alone or in a cluster with other satellites as is now the case with most launches.

Nevertheless, $3.5 million is still pretty cheap for a foreign company who wants Iran to launch a satellite. For Iranian company that is around 40 million toman.
Actually more weight may favorably affect the cost per kg. Falcon 9 reusable puts 18.5t of payload in LEO at $50M or $2,700 per kg but you need to pay for full payload regardless of actual load.

Zafar only weighs around 100kg. $3.5M for only putting that in the orbit is a good deal. I don't think they could have done it any cheaper if they had gone to other countries.

4 meter diameter Solid Fuel SLV????

It will be even bigger than Indian PSLV which has a diameter of 2.8 meters
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_Satellite_Launch_Vehicle

Anything around 5M is considered a “heavy lift rocket” see Delta IV at 5M and Long 5 at 5M was well.

So a 4M SLV should be able to put some serious weight into orbit for Iran. But that rocket likely won’t be ready for several years. It’s probably one of the projects at Sharud base.

From the interview the Soroosh is actually a (years away) 4m liquid fuel SLV.
The Qaem is probably a military SLV program at this point and only IRGC deals with it.

Not necessarily, Soroush could be considered Safir-4 and Qaem could be considered Safir-5.

Taken together Let’s assume this:

Future Iranian Deep Space Mission Launcher

4 Soroush SLVs acting like a SRBs attached to 1 Qaem SLV launcher.
(In fact there is such a model “leaked” on the web from an Iranian display. Wether or not that is real or not I am not sure.)

This launcher would be Iran’s “version” of Heavy Falcon SLV made to fit deep space role and heavy launcher missions
(NOTE: I am not saying Iran has achieved technological parity with SpaceX).

It is no secret the countries that will be successful in next 150 years are ones that can colonize MARS and Jupiter moons along with asteroid/moon mining missions. It is theorized the world’s first trillionaire will come from asteroid mining industry.

Thus Soroush will be a great SRB (solid rocket booster) for a future deep space Iranian heavy launcher.

I don’t expect Soroush to be in service till 2025 at the earliest and if Iran drags it’s feet then till 2030. By then Qaem may no longer exist (or it already possibly no longer exists) so whatever advanced version of it then can be used alongside Soroush.

All this is major speculation off of very limited information. But Iran with its low cost launches could be one of the leaders in space travel in next 50 years if proper development is made.

why is he saying sarir is 1.5M and Soroush is 2M?
Buggered if I know,when its run thru google trans [lol!] it does say 2.4m and 4m,tho the rest is mostly gobble-dee-gook.
I just quite liked the assembly vid and all its detail,it makes me wonder what changes we`ll see in the latest configuration.Tho to be perfectly honest I`m not optimistic about the chances for a successful launch under the current circumstances,but who knows maybe they`ve finally fixed the bugs after the last failure.
And heres an interesting pic of the inside of the launch control center at Imam Khomeini space center during a Simorgh launch,I dont think we`ve ever seen this before.
EPUkL6uXUAEm_jw

Back
Top Bottom