What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

202018 Zhuhai Show Land Systems, which was held recently, the China Association of China North Industries Group Corporation (CNGC, NORINCO Group brand) presented this new self-propelled anti-aircraft system. But the interesting part is the new armed tower with six 23 mm rotating barrels in Gatling style + 4 MANPADS.
qHp2PWu.jpg

LfhvnKm.jpg

I write interesting because it has the same 23 mm caliber of the ZU-23-2 system used and built also in Iran, and this new 23 mm Gatling Chinese tower + 4 MANPADS could be taken as an excellent example to realize the CIWS to be installed on the ships of the Iranian fleet
U9RXUaM.jpg

with Photoshop as it might appear installed on the Jamaran
sr5uWjZ.png
For a start that is a VERY COOL little machine packing a veritable SH!T TON of fire power into it.I can remember these little amphibians being all the rage back in the early 70s before the modern 4 wheel atv arrived,they actually used to use them on the sftv show Space 1999 as "moon buggy" props.
If I was iran I would certainly look at producing my own version of this impressively well armed light weight mobile air defence system
I also agree with the idea of using the 23mm round as a starting point for a ciws as for its size it certainly packs a punch and would also possibly allow its use on small boats like the sina class missile boat.
I love the photoshop of the 2x full turrets on the rear of the jamaran,I also think that if you were willing to delete the coffin type rim66 sam launchers on the superstructure in front of the bridge you could install[in theory] either one or even two of these launchers on the front on the ship as well[any chance of a photoshop of this?]
139508011242294098999974.jpg

Manpad won't cut it, it must be something capable of engaging glide bomb and cruise missile , and Syria show that 4 is not enough ,make it 12-16 and we are talking business (don't forget adding another 8-12 tube only add about 100-120kg to the weight of the system and it won't be any problem if you want to install it on a ship )
You could always go for something like the Kashtan[lol!]
hqdefault.jpg

2x30mm gatling + 4x pantsyr sams[talk about overkill]

Another option instead of the ir missiles on the chinese 23mm mounting,would be something like the laser guided bofors rbs70 system.This is a lightweight manpad class system that uses beam riding instead of ir and would allow you to engage things like glide bombs that might have quite low ir signatures.Another option would be a mixture of fire and forget ir missiles and beam riding types.Also I agree that the chinese type mount needs more missiles,at least double or triple the number.
d19d6726e3940422680de297512d3203.jpg

1EijKDP.jpg

Whats interesting about the rbs-70 is that some sources have claimed that iran received this system during the iran iraq war,tho I`ve never seen any pics of it in service/use and iran doesnt throw anything away,so if it was acquired you`d think it would`ve shown up by now.

You could always go for something like the Kashtan[lol!]
hqdefault.jpg

2x30mm gatling + 4x pantsyr sams[talk about overkill]

Another option instead of the ir missiles on the chinese 23mm mounting,would be something like the laser guided bofors rbs70 system.This is a lightweight manpad class system that uses beam riding instead of ir and would allow you to engage things like glide bombs that might have quite low ir signatures.Another option would be a mixture of fire and forget ir missiles and beam riding types.Also I agree that the chinese type mount needs more missiles,at least double or triple the number.
d19d6726e3940422680de297512d3203.jpg

1EijKDP.jpg

Whats interesting about the rbs-70 is that some sources have claimed that iran received this system during the iran iraq war,tho I`ve never seen any pics of it in service/use and iran doesnt throw anything away,so if it was acquired you`d think it would`ve shown up by now.
I also never seen any RBS-70 in Iran and I agree that Infra red seeker is problematic for targeting incoming missile as they usually need to tail the target , also I doubt a beam rider or laser guided missile is suitable for engaging fast moving targets

and come on 12x30mm barrel is far over kill for something smaller than a cruiser, just think about how much ammo it needs (each shell weight at least 300gr)

For a start that is a VERY COOL little machine packing a veritable SH!T TON of fire power into it.I can remember these little amphibians being all the rage back in the early 70s before the modern 4 wheel atv arrived,they actually used to use them on the sftv show Space 1999 as "moon buggy" props.
If I was iran I would certainly look at producing my own version of this impressively well armed light weight mobile air defence system
I also agree with the idea of using the 23mm round as a starting point for a ciws as for its size it certainly packs a punch and would also possibly allow its use on small boats like the sina class missile boat.
I love the photoshop of the 2x full turrets on the rear of the jamaran,I also think that if you were willing to delete the coffin type rim66 sam launchers on the superstructure in front of the bridge you could install[in theory] either one or even two of these launchers on the front on the ship as well[any chance of a photoshop of this?]
139508011242294098999974.jpg
On the Jamaran 76 is already possible because it does not have the canisters for missiles in the bow, the photo you posted is the Damavan 77 and this is no longer available.
For the Sahand 74, we still do not know what to install, but as the superstructure is made, this CIWS 23 mm could also be installed.
Certainly it could also be installed on the very similar Alvand class frigates and on many naval units of the Iranian fleet, thanks to the compact size of the system.

I also never seen any RBS-70 in Iran and I agree that Infra red seeker is problematic for targeting incoming missile as they usually need to tail the target , also I doubt a beam rider or laser guided missile is suitable for engaging fast moving targets

and come on 12x30mm barrel is far over kill for something smaller than a cruiser, just think about how much ammo it needs (each shell weight at least 300gr)
The problem is that once you rule out things like ir and lbr that really only leaves either radio command guidance,something like the old blowpipe manpad or the at8 or at6 radio guided atgms using maclos or saclos or possibly laser guidance using reflected radiation like the early hellfire.
The main drawback is that for a small mounting like this you`re pretty limited in the size and capability of any sams you use especially if you want to mount a few of them on it,but then this is only a ciws,its only meant to be for close in/last ditch defence mainly against weapons like subsonic ashcms,glide bombs or drones,its not intended to be a replacement for large long range radar guided sams.Ideally the longer ranged sam systems will do the job of whittling down the fast attackers numbers.Also against a lot of the weapons that are likely to be used ie jdam type glide bombs or small subsonic cruise missiles or drones I wouldnt necessarily rule out the effectiveness of manpad type sams as its not like these things have pilots that can take evasive action or complex built in countermeasure suites.
Another very interesting lbr variant is the british starstreak manpad which has a top speed of mach 4 and deploys 3 guided explosive darts which have a punch similar to a 40mm bofors round,its also claimed to be able to take down targets maneuvering at 9g[!]
Starstreak.JPG

Yes,the kashtan is total overkill,but it certainly suits the character of the kirovs and slavas.

The problem is that once you rule out things like ir and lbr that really only leaves either radio command guidance,something like the old blowpipe manpad or the at8 or at6 radio guided atgms using maclos or saclos or possibly laser guidance using reflected radiation like the early hellfire.
The main drawback is that for a small mounting like this you`re pretty limited in the size and capability of any sams you use especially if you want to mount a few of them on it,but then this is only a ciws,its only meant to be for close in/last ditch defence mainly against weapons like subsonic ashcms,glide bombs or drones,its not intended to be a replacement for large long range radar guided sams.Ideally the longer ranged sam systems will do the job of whittling down the fast attackers numbers.Also against a lot of the weapons that are likely to be used ie jdam type glide bombs or small subsonic cruise missiles or drones I wouldnt necessarily rule out the effectiveness of manpad type sams as its not like these things have pilots that can take evasive action or complex built in countermeasure suites.
Another very interesting lbr variant is the british starstreak manpad which has a top speed of mach 4 and deploys 3 guided explosive darts which have a punch similar to a 40mm bofors round,its also claimed to be able to take down targets maneuvering at 9g[!]
Starstreak.JPG

Yes,the kashtan is total overkill,but it certainly suits the character of the kirovs and slavas.
I think Starstreak will be more successful in CIWS role than a purely IR or laser guided system , IR is not good for target that moving toward you special if they are something like glide bombs which have very little heat emission and honestly targeting fast moving targets by laser beam is a pain in the ***, using radio to guide the missiles is the best option as the range is just less than 10km and your target usually have no electronic warfare capabilities

202018 Zhuhai Show Land Systems, which was held recently, the China Association of China North Industries Group Corporation (CNGC, NORINCO Group brand) presented this new self-propelled anti-aircraft system. But the interesting part is the new armed tower with six 23 mm rotating barrels in Gatling style + 4 MANPADS.
qHp2PWu.jpg

LfhvnKm.jpg

I write interesting because it has the same 23 mm caliber of the ZU-23-2 system used and built also in Iran, and this new 23 mm Gatling Chinese tower + 4 MANPADS could be taken as an excellent example to realize the CIWS to be installed on the ships of the Iranian fleet
U9RXUaM.jpg

with Photoshop as it might appear installed on the Jamaran
sr5uWjZ.png
I just discovered this interesting little weapons system on the same platform
71038d1dgy1fx49l1wrpfg20jo0b2x6p.gif

71038d1dgy1fx446l9gzcj20nc0crq3x.jpg

I think Starstreak will be more successful in CIWS role than a purely IR or laser guided system , IR is not good for target that moving toward you special if they are something like glide bombs which have very little heat emission and honestly targeting fast moving targets by laser beam is a pain in the ***, using radio to guide the missiles is the best option as the range is just less than 10km and your target usually have no electronic warfare capabilities

Starstreak as a CIWS? I think the starstreak with a few adjustments could be an awesome system as an ATGM that would be capable of countering modern Active Protection Systems where the kinetic energy from 3 separate +Mach 3 time delayed projectile would be sufficient to disable an armored vehicle.

So as an ATGM or a MANPAD against Larger low flying Aircraft's, Helo's & larger UAV's within it's range on land yes but against incoming projectiles whether they be Glide bombs or Cruise missiles they would simply lack the accuracy and the blast radius needed to knock them off course note the 3 projectiles fired need a direct hit because they use kinetic energy

Now the problem with the starstreak as an add on to a CIWS is that any UAV's whos production costs is greater than the starsteak missile it's self is simply not going to get within 7km of an armed ship during combat and neither will fixed winged aircraft or Helo's simply because the pilots would really have to be stupid to get within a range where the ships cannon(s) could pose a major threat to them

For a CIWS I would prefer a missile that has half the range and 1/3 of the speed of the starstreak but has the accuracy and enough explosive power to either nock an incoming subsonic projectile off course or at the very least disrupt the projectiles sensor capability so the ship can move out of it's projected flight path and that also means you can't use lasers for course correction because your firing from a moving unstable ship trying to guide your missile to get a direct his on a small moving platform and using the starsrek from a fixed point on the ground is already hard enough

Plus all in all if I was Iran's Naval Commander for Iran's future my focus would be on the following
1.Production of larger warships & larger Subs at a faster pace
2.Aiding in the development of 3D printers
3.Developing a portable device that can convert sea water into Hydrogen and Oxygen out at sea and at an officiant rate to be used as fuel and developing liquid fueled rocket engines, jet engines, combustion engines,..... around that fuel source
4.Aiding in the development & mass production of very small and light quantum communication data link
5.Development of advanced Magnets and various type of engines that use them from electrical to none electrical that use magnets and compressed air or steam to assist in increasing power and reducing consumption....
6.Increasing the offensive capability of your naval fleet by increasing the variety of your offensive systems from swarm of smaller cruise missiles to a swarm of armed Quad or other armed UAV's preferably all 3D printed
7.Increasing stealth capability buy reducing it's radar, heat and optical signature
8.Increasing defensive capability using SAM, CIWS, Lasers, sensor capability countermeasures & Decoys.

Because the future of Naval warships will be Large warships and Subs (Maybe up to 50% 3D printed ships) that themselves carry multiple 3D printers onboard that are capable of printing a wide range of weapons and spare parts previously stored on the computers based on mission parameters where the ship it's self and many of the weapons are capable of using Hydrogen and Oxygen as a fuel source.

And these are the things they need to think about when building platforms meant to last another 2 decades at least

Back
Top Bottom