What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

Venezuela is alot farther away than Iraq. Yes it's easier when you have the real thing on hand but once you have detailed blueprints it doesn't matter that much.

Right now Iran has 10 types of fighter jets already in inventory, which makes maintenance extremely complicated and expensive. Adding another one like the F-16 doesn't make much sense for Iran right now

Btw reverse engineering an armored truck is much easier than a 4th generation fighter jet. Driving is easier than flying and requires less training and much less sophisticated technology, sensors, avionics, radar, etc.

Iran successfully reverse engineered the Toofan MRAP, which was based on the Streit Typhoon MRAP. Iran also builds a wide variety of armored trucks and military vehicles.

Why would Iran even want to build Humvees over the Toofan for example ?

The Aras comes in a 2 seat pickup truck configuration. Humvees are more like armored SUVs.

Venezuela also has F-16’s and so does Iraq and yet i don’t see an F-16 flying in Iran.

Sometimes having the actual thing inside where engineers can canabalize it is enough to spark the order to reverse engineer from top brass.

And Aras 2 is a coffin compared to Humvee.

Why would Iran even want to build Humvees over the Toofan for example ?

Same reason any army in the world builds armored vehicles as well as MRAPs. Cost and need.

A toofan and Iranian humvee copy will not have same price. Toofan uses much more armour to protect itself from attack and ambushes. You can’t put every soldier in a MRAP, it’s not possible.

Right now Iran is using open Jeep’s and Iranian made trucks in most transportation cases and border operations as well as war games. At best maybe some Toyota’s. What does that tell you?

There is a dire need for something cheap, but with sufficient protection for everyday use. Humvee can be that, Aras line doesn’t provide sufficient protection or same capabilities. Maybe an Aras 3 can be built inspired by the Humvee. The real reason is lack of funds for ground forces. Even Iraqi militias have MRAPs from Iran and use American humvees.

Yeah Aras 3 might be a decent idea. I'm not sure if Iran needed a Humvee to add a little better armor to Aras and build an SUV variant.

Aside from Aras and Toofan there are several other armored trucks that Iran can produce however the majority of troops are not considered front line troops, so even Safir jeeps are good enough to transport them from point A to point B behind armored columns.

Even Libya has bought some Safir jeeps from Iran. They're reliable and suitable for hot climates, arid terrain.

Again the regular army numbers 500,000, IRGC 300,000, border guards, police, Basij. That's over 2 million. They can't put all of them into armored vehicles.

For example look at Turkey they use the Cobra trucks which are basic but for most troops you just need to get them around. Also look at the Russian military suv, it's basic, but good enough for most. Look at Pakistan. Very basic but it gets the job done.

Same reason any army in the world builds armored vehicles as well as MRAPs. Cost and need.

A toofan and Iranian humvee copy will not have same price. Toofan uses much more armour to protect itself from attack and ambushes. You can’t put every soldier in a MRAP, it’s not possible.

Right now Iran is using open Jeep’s and Iranian made trucks in most transportation cases and border operations as well as war games. At best maybe some Toyota’s. What does that tell you?

There is a dire need for something cheap, but with sufficient protection for everyday use. Humvee can be that, Aras line doesn’t provide sufficient protection or same capabilities. Maybe an Aras 3 can be built inspired by the Humvee. The real reason is lack of funds for ground forces. Even Iraqi militias have MRAPs from Iran and use American humvees.

This could be feasible as a Humvee class vehicle as a low cost vehicle and not difficult to produce.
1628991917804.png

Modularity to this design is possible. TOW equipped variant, ambulance equipped variant etc.. for front line IRGC.

Even Libya has bought some Safir jeeps from Iran. They're reliable and suitable for hot climates, arid terrain.

That's not what he is saying, a Safir is just a body with wheels to get from one place to another, it does not afford any protection. The Aras is perfectly fine vehicle, but we also need armored vehicles like the picture linked earlier for units traveling in hostile territories, while Safir/Aras are perfectly fine for moving around in safe areas or running supplies.

Anyways, I hope their is more shift in focus to ground forces soon because their are a number of ground threats emanating around Iran from pan-turks to Taliban. Taliban may not be a threat to Iran but it may become one later.

I've said earlier, we have all the projects, I like alot of them, now we just need to up the priority based on the threats present and I can make the case that their are many very real threats emerging and the regular army is decaying badly.

Last edited:

According to Wikipedia, Iran already is in possession of Humvees.

That's my point exactly. Iran can already produce a variety of armored trucks. No need to copy Humvee. Aras 2 is a pickup truck but with a few modifications, an SUV variant would make it almost identical to a Humvee.

Safir does not afford troops any protection but not all troops require an armored vehicle. The frontline troops obviously require tanks with reactive armor, active protection systems, then mine sweeping variants, etc. Then armored vehicles, including tracked and wheeled variants with heavy weapons.

After that most troops can be transported in trucks with minimal protection.

The USA is a superpower but for most countries, it is not feasible to place every single soldiers in a heavily armored vehicle. Most countries transports the majority of soldiers in large transport/cargo trucks where they simply sit in the back.

Obviously soldiers in a Safir truck are not going to be sent directly against tanks , face to face, but they can be used to setup ambush points where they can dig in and use their weapons like ATGMs, mortars, reconciles rifles, anti personnel sniper rifles, etc to ambush the enemy.

This could be feasible as a Humvee class vehicle as a low cost vehicle and not difficult to produce.
View attachment 769748

Modularity to this design is possible. TOW equipped variant, ambulance equipped variant etc.. for front line IRGC.

That's not what he is saying, a Safir is just a body with wheels to get from one place to another, it does not afford any protection. The Aras is perfectly fine vehicle, but we also need armored vehicles like the picture linked earlier for units traveling in hostile territories, while Safir/Aras are perfectly fine for moving around in safe areas or running supplies.

Anyways, I hope their is more shift in focus to ground forces soon because their are a number of ground threats emanating around Iran from pan-turks to Taliban. Taliban may not be a threat to Iran but it may become one later.

I've said earlier, we have all the projects, I like alot of them, now we just need to up the priority based on the threats present and I can make the case that their are many very real threats emerging and the regular army is decaying badly.

Guys i Remember when i was in Artesh, i suggested our artillery major with an interesting project which in theory was a copy of American operation against Iraqi ground forces.
In fact, Iraq was a testing ground for Americans so i cannot claim this plan of mine could be effective against powerful countries.

We suppose 2 countries are fighting against each. Their ground forces are engaged right on their bordering area without presence of any third Party (which means there is no second front). 2 ground forces are engaged with or without air support which completely Depends on the air power of the fighting countries. However Yemen war proved us that air superiority cannot win the war and in order to end the war in your favor, you need boots on the ground. With this assumption, we have 2 ground forces engaged on bordering area. We would have different lines in the 2 fighting forces, frontline which consists of soldiers and MBTs moving Forward and an artillery Unit right behind their back providing them with firepower allowing them to advance towards the enemy defense lines.

People claim that soldiers win the chess but i believe without bishops acting like a Long range soldier, it is impossible to touch or threaten the enemy defense lines. Hence the vital role of artillery.

Artillery Unit itself has different branches and most important of them is the spotter. The spotter acts as the eyes and ears of your artillery units. In traditional wars humans played the role of spotters. They, in order to fulfill the mission, had to approach the enemy lines undetectedly. Due to the dangers of such operations, it put their lives in danger of being killed or kidnapped by the enemy.
My suggestion was, to use a drone as your spotter which can precisely give you the coordinations of enemy.
An other suggestion was, instead of targeting the enemy's frontline, we must bomb the enemy artillery with long range artilleries or artillery rockets with Extended ranges. Americans did this to Iraqis and won the war in a matter of hours. An Infantry without artillery support is like a sitting duck on the Battlefield.

My project was accepted and i received my reward for this project but it never became operational sadly. Therefore i never could have any real data to test and evaluate the accuracy of my calculations and equations presented in the article. And without that evaluation, i personally believe the article could be used as a toilet Paper. 😁

Maybe it is offtopic, but i search this news where they wrote about the loss of iranian border troops at the eastern borders. Does anyone know about and can give me a link?

Edit: I mean the losses against the trafficers and terrorist comming from Afghanistan/Pakistan in one year. I know there were hundreds but cant find the article.

Last edited:
Guys i Remember when i was in Artesh, i suggested our artillery major with an interesting project which in theory was a copy of American operation against Iraqi ground forces.
In fact, Iraq was a testing ground for Americans so i cannot claim this plan of mine could be effective against powerful countries.

We suppose 2 countries are fighting against each. Their ground forces are engaged right on their bordering area without presence of any third Party (which means there is no second front). 2 ground forces are engaged with or without air support which completely Depends on the air power of the fighting countries. However Yemen war proved us that air superiority cannot win the war and in order to end the war in your favor, you need boots on the ground. With this assumption, we have 2 ground forces engaged on bordering area. We would have different lines in the 2 fighting forces, frontline which consists of soldiers and MBTs moving Forward and an artillery Unit right behind their back providing them with firepower allowing them to advance towards the enemy defense lines.

People claim that soldiers win the chess but i believe without bishops acting like a Long range soldier, it is impossible to touch or threaten the enemy defense lines. Hence the vital role of artillery.

Artillery Unit itself has different branches and most important of them is the spotter. The spotter acts as the eyes and ears of your artillery units. In traditional wars humans played the role of spotters. They, in order to fulfill the mission, had to approach the enemy lines undetectedly. Due to the dangers of such operations, it put their lives in danger of being killed or kidnapped by the enemy.
My suggestion was, to use a drone as your spotter which can precisely give you the coordinations of enemy.
An other suggestion was, instead of targeting the enemy's frontline, we must bomb the enemy artillery with long range artilleries or artillery rockets with Extended ranges. Americans did this to Iraqis and won the war in a matter of hours. An Infantry without artillery support is like a sitting duck on the Battlefield.

My project was accepted and i received my reward for this project but it never became operational sadly. Therefore i never could have any real data to test and evaluate the accuracy of my calculations and equations presented in the article. And without that evaluation, i personally believe the article could be used as a toilet Paper. 😁
When did you present this idea?
One gets the distinct feeling that despite the irgc being one of the earliest adopters of drone tech in the mena region,likely second only to the israelis,that the rest of the iranian military showed little to no interest in the technology until fairly recently,with ironically the iranian airforce being the last to actually start operating/fielding drones.
Tho thankfully the branches of the regular iranian military now do seem to have finally recognized its enormous potential,and in addition to making use of irans large arsenal of irgc derived drone designs are now also working on their own systems.

When did you present this idea?
One gets the distinct feeling that despite the irgc being one of the earliest adopters of drone tech in the mena region,likely second only to the israelis,that the rest of the iranian military showed little to no interest in the technology until fairly recently,with ironically the iranian airforce being the last to actually start operating/fielding drones.
Tho thankfully the branches of the regular iranian military now do seem to have finally recognized its enormous potential,and in addition to making use of irans large arsenal of irgc derived drone designs are now also working on their own systems.
It was almost 2 years ago sir. Maybe they didn't feel the need for such project hence abandoned it.

Don't know about IRGC, they surely are decade ahead of other military branches in drone technology and the implementation of its tactics.. Not only that, they have mastered laser guided artillery munitions.

I used photogrammetric approaches to acquire the required data. The most important data is the angle of attack we call Gera, other inputs can be calculated by artillery units. You need a tilt-less drone Plus a calculation Unit on the ground.

It was truly costly and it could digitalize army's M109 A1 SPH units as a side effect of reducing calculation time. However army has own plans and my suggestion was an option among tens of others. They choose the best and most cost effective one.

It was almost 2 years ago sir. Maybe they didn't feel the need for such project hence abandoned it.

Don't know about IRGC, they surely are decade ahead of other military branches in drone technology and the implementation of its tactics.. Not only that, they have mastered laser guided artillery munitions.

I used photogrammetric approaches to acquire the required data. The most important data is the angle of attack we call Gera, other inputs can be calculated by artillery units. You need a tilt-less drone Plus a calculation Unit on the ground.

It was truly costly and it could digitalize army's M109 A1 SPH units as a side effect of reducing calculation time. However army has own plans and my suggestion was an option among tens of others. They choose the best and most cost effective one.
I`m actually quite shocked to hear this,I`d assumed that you were talking about a decade or more ago......
Do the artillery actually use drones at this point or are they still just relying purely on human spotters?.

I`m actually quite shocked to hear this,I`d assumed that you were talking about a decade or more ago......
Do the artillery actually use drones at this point or are they still just relying purely on human spotters?.
My reply would disappoint you even more. Except for a handful of Aretsh ground units such as Isfahan artillery base, others mostly use the traditional approaches. However those traditions are still usable. The same field Trial and error. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My reply would disappoint you even more. Except for a handful of Aretsh ground units such as Isfahan artillery base, others mostly use the traditional approaches. However those traditions are still usable. The same field Trial and error. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Man,that is truly very sad to hear.I would`ve at least expected the use of small drones like the yasir/scan eagle for basic visual spotting to be wide spread.
The application of this technology across the entirety of the iranian armed forces seems to be extremely uneven and adhoc.

Back
Top Bottom