What's new

Iranian economist: 'China is the worst business partner Iran ever had'

Sure no doubt. But even if sanctions are lifted (which is a big if btw), we will not drop trade with China. But adjust business deals. Do less business with China, but not cut trade completely.

I've never claimed that trade will be completely dropped. I only stated that the Chinese have missed an opportunity and therefor will be paying for this once the sanctions are gone. Which translates into less trade. I can't see anything valuable we would buy from China. The only reason why we do now, is because we are forced to trade our oil money for Chinese products.

Maybe Surenas is just kidding around and having some fun. lol

Doubtful.

I have always had a huge admiration for Iranian civilisation and culture.

But if you don't like us, and don't want our products, there is not much I can do about that.

The Europeans/Americans/Japanese are all happy to source imports and components from China. You don't think iPhones are made in America right?

Apparently it is not good enough for some, and the only solution for those people is to stop buying all electronics and all manufactured products, since they will all have something to do with China.

Doubtful.

I have always had a huge admiration for Iranian civilisation and culture.

But if you don't like us, and don't want our products, there is not much I can do about that.

The Europeans/Americans/Japanese are all happy to source imports and components from China. You don't think iPhones are made in america right?

Apparently it is not good enough for some, and the only solution for those people is to stop buying all electronics and all manufactured products, since they will all have something to do with China.

I think you are getting a little too emotional and overreacting. Dont misunderstand. I dont think anyone here have expressed dislike for China or Chinese people. Personally I admire Chinese civilization. :)
Now let us all just cool ourselves.

This is what I was talking about getting overly defensive lol

I think you are getting a little too emotional and overreacting. Dont misunderstand. I dont think anyone here have expressed dislike for China or Chinese people.

This. We are talking about trading, which is business, not personal. If the Chinese here are mad, they should be mad on their own companies.

I've never claimed that trade will be completely dropped. I only stated that the Chinese have missed an opportunity and therefor will be paying for this once the sanctions are gone. Which translates into less trade. I can't see anything valuable we would buy from China. The only reason why we do now, is because we are forced to trade our oil money for Chinese products.

I agree with you.
On a related note, how high do you view chances of sanctions being lifted?
Personally, I think they are still very small.

I think you are getting a little too emotional and overreacting. Dont misunderstand. I dont think anyone here have expressed dislike for China or Chinese people.

If you believe that, then I don't think you have read even one single post from Surenas.

Bottom line, if you think we are the "worst trading partner", then you can reduce trade with China and buy those high quality Western goods (which are also made in China) instead.

Doesn't matter, if you buy Apple or Sony you are still buying a product manufactured in China with Chinese components.

Mark my words: When your sanction is removed, you guys will still buy tons of Chinese goods - more than the oil we get from Iran - Just like today.

Of course. They choose to order and buy these products then they insult us for their own choice to buy it.

What can we do?

No, we wouldn't. Before the sanctions were strengthened in 2011 Iranians preferred to buy middle or high quality Western products. The circumstances only forced Iran to buy these products from China. Once the sanctions are gone, the situation will be reversed.

Oh, come on. You did not miss all those voices in Iran about Chinese products/quality, not?

Low quality Chinese products?
You get what you pay for so what do you expect? If it is so bad, why don't Iranians make their own instead of 8itching about Chinese products? Oh yeah, because you cant make it competitively or the quality is worse.

The interrelationship between supply and demand is one of the most fundamental principles of economics. You buy Chinese products because you WANT to.

If you believe that, then I don't think you have read even one single post from Surenas.

Bottom line, if you think we are a bad trading partner, then you can reduce trade with China and buy those high quality Western goods (which are also made in China) instead.

Doesn't matter, if you buy Apple or Sony you are still buying a product manufactured in China with Chinese components.

If sanctions are lifted, I do think on relative terms we will increase trade relationship with West. We do what is best for our national interest.
But again, it doesnt mean we will cut ourselves off from China. As I said, China is global economic power. So every nation does business with it obviously.

Congratulations on your iphone and stuff lol

I agree with you.
On a related note, how high do you view chances of sanctions being lifted?
Personally, I think they are still very small.

In order for the sanctions to be lifted, both sides need to make concessions. And in my opinion it depends on the sincerity of the Iranian regime. If they are truly willing to reduce their enriched uranium stockpile and halt the 20% enrichment I believe the Americans and Europeans are willing to lift at least the more significant sanctions.

And the Iranian regime is in a hurry since the economy is in a extremely bad shape. If they don't adjust it could be the end of the IRI.

Your relations with the Saudis are 10 times folds than yours with them.

No winds in the map :lol:

Then find someone else to deal with, I'm sure the Saudis are more than happy to make up for any shortfalls, in fact they offered that already.

That's how the world works. If you don't like a business deal, find another one.

Low quality Chinese products?
You get what you pay for so what do you expect? If it is so bad, why don't Iranians make their own instead of 8itching about Chinese products? Oh yeah, because you cant make it competitively or the quality is worse.

The interrelationship between supply and demand is one of the most fundamental principles of economics. You buy Chinese products because you WANT to.

You seem to have little knowledge about all those sanctions targeted Iran and the consequences attached to it. Nobody WANTS to buy those low-quality products. We are forced to do so because we have to materialize our oil money (yuans) stalled in Chinese banks.

Your relations with the Saudis are 10 times folds than yours with them.

No winds in the map :lol:

From their attitudes against us here, it seems you are right.

We are happy to do business with anyone, and if they don't like the deal, they should do the decent thing and find a deal with someone else.

If they don't like goods that are either manufactured in China or have Chinese components, they will have to give up manufactured products completely, including all electronics.

That's the only feasible way to live without Chinese manufacturing. People have tried before, and all have given up.

Antipathy toward China's increasing market dominance is growing among Iran's influential merchant community. Iranians have long overindulged an appetite for imported goods, and Chinese exporters have been the primary beneficiaries of Iran's rising oil revenues over the last decade. The Iranian media regularly complain that China is price gouging, that its materials are inferior, and that cheap Chinese imports are driving Iran's small industries out of business. Such rhetoric could easily aggravate bilateral relations, particularly as Tehran tries to restrict import spending, including by banning 170 "low-quality" products, nearly all Chinese, that it claims are "beneath the dignity" of Iranian consumers.

Getting China to Sanction Iran | Brookings Institution

In order for the sanctions to be lifted, both sides need to make concessions. And in my opinion it depends on the sincerity of the Iranian regime. If they are truly willing to reduce their enriched uranium stockpile and halt the 20% enrichment I believe the Americans and Europeans are willing to lift at least the more significant sanctions.

And the Iranian regime is in a hurry since the economy is in a extremely bad shape. If they don't adjust it could be the end of the IRI.

So you call your own Government a regime - interesting.
Unfortunately the problems between Iran and the West go much deeper than uranium enrichment and the illness emanates from the tumor that is Israel. Instead of lamenting that the West will not sell you their products, Iranians should roll up sleeves and take the destiny of Iran into their own hands. Compromising for scraps from the West is a poor choice.

I think Iran should give up give up the 20 % enrichment, and also be willing to be flexible on the heavy water reactor (which is plutonium route). That way, it would be very far away nuclear weapons.
In exchange we should get substantial sanctions relief. Maybe not all sanctions, but they would have to be significant.

I think 3-5 % enrichment is not on the table. Remember we paused even that for two years, when Khatami was president.
And on other political and strategic issues like Afghanistan we assisted. We got no lifting of sanctions at that time.

So if there is no lifting of sanctions on such a deal, then it is absolutely 100 % clear that the issue is not nuclear.
Would you agree?

Back
Top Bottom