What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

Well, Iran's joint "Modafean Aseman Velayat 1400" has concluded and it did not certainly dissapointed us.

IRIADF and IRGC ASF have almost entirely employed Iranian made systems and many good developement in Iranian SHORADs were employed for the first time.

IRIADF have used Mersad-16, Talash, 15th Khordad and Newly revealed Joshan AD systems, while IRGC ASF have employed Tabas, 3rd Khordad and Sayyad AD systems.

In SHORADs, IRIADF shown its Majid AD system in action and teased one currently unkown Morfey like SAM, IRGC ASF have used the long awaited Iranian version of Tor M1, the Dezful(previously known as Oghab).

IRIADF Mersad-16
IMG_20211012_164541_221.jpg

1400072021020773323805014.jpg

1400072021015674923805014.jpg

IRIADF Talash
One of early attempts in utilising Sayyad-2 sam(75 km range) with Ofogh fire control radar
1400072011495317123799254.jpg

1400072011495357823799254.jpg

IRIADF 15th Khordad
Talash's more advanced brother, uses Sayyad-2 & 3 sam(75 and 120kms range respectively) and equipped with Najm-804B AESA radar.
IMG_20211013_063654_704.jpg

1400072021020473323805014.jpg

IRIADF Joshan
A newly unveiled system, a more recent version of 15th Khordad with a new unnamed PESA radar.
20211013_140542.jpg

20211013_140426.jpg

20211013_182403.jpg

IRGC ASF Tabas
A medium range AD system equipped with Taer-2 and Sayyad-2 sams
1400072021020992123805014.jpg

IRGC ASF 3rd Khordad
Tabas's more advanced brother
1400072021021162423805014.jpg

IRGC ASF Sayyad-2
15th Khordad less advanced brother equipped Sayyad-2 sam and Najm-802B radar
20211013_182208.jpg

20211013_182243.jpg

Last edited:
SHORAD section

IRIADF Majid
A short range air defense system with a range of 8kms and a hit to kill missile
FBlasFYXsAY6xQS.jpeg.jpg

FBleHtSXEAMcSZ1.jpeg.jpg

FBkS7akWEAEMiD4.jpeg.jpg

IRGC ASF Dezful
The long awaited Iranian version of Tor M1, previously named Oghab, equipped with new optics and cooling condensors
FBkDbmfXEAARpPN.jpeg.jpg

FBkDbmgXEAEHs7z.jpeg.jpg

20211013_185144.jpg

20211013_162525.jpg

20211013_150748.jpg

And most intriguing a new currently unkown SHORAD seen in IRIADF paint scheme

FBhJ7q3X0AAAbMO.jpeg.jpg

FBhKj48X0AMOSHA.jpeg.jpg

FBhKyxzXoAMBcPk.jpeg.jpg

Lots of radar like Bashir, Matla ul Fajr-2 and etc were also used

Noteworthy was the entering of Quds radar into operational use.
Quds is based on Vostok E.
IMG_20211013_103109_359.jpg

Not to detract from the conversation but many Denel Dynamics engineers went to the UAE and are working there developing missiles. I would assume it's in the 100-200 employees range but that's just my guesstimate and it could be completely wrong.

Dezful seems pretty nice but wouldnt a more modern radar be better?

Are we 100% sure Oghab is built from scratch and not a canabalized TOR-M1 that is being “upgraded” to Oghab standard?

Because to me it looks like Iran ripped off the top of a TOR-M1 and attached it to this truck instead of the track based locomotive method.

Russian TOR-M1 owned by Iran

1634142745613.jpeg

Iranian TOR-M1

1634142828960.jpeg

Look at the 2nd cell/square (from the left) in both pictures. They both have a smaller “square” held by rivets within the larger square.

What are the chances of that happening unless they are infact both Russian TOR-M1’s?

@PeeD

I am amazed at how much Iran can produce so many different air defense systems. The enemies must be very surprised.
Well I am not sure they are surprised,I am not surprised to be said...enemies .. they have resources ...For more than 15 years I am saying that Iran capability is far more than we see...When I want to know more about some country capability to produce something...I look in to industry...human resources...and than compare it to what we see...Iran civilian industry ,tech development,education,science..everything is there for years. There is already industry,large scale production...car production,trucks,machinery...avio industry is much larger than many think..Iran is maintaining 4th largest helicopter fleet..5th worlds largest aircraft fleet(civilian and military combined)...ship building is big...That is what you need to look,that is what wins wars...wars are won by industry..it is not important how advanced your weapon is..it is important how many you can bring and at what price..One German Tiger was so powerful that it could knock out whole T/34 or Sherman batalion..one tank..in some cases they were limited only by amunition..But it was complex,expencive...not produced in high numbers..German MG 34 was amazing ,but UK produced 8 Sterns for every MG34..Germans tryed to fix this with mg 42...there is a lot of more but bottom line is,if you look production numbers in first 2 years of WWII ,you will see German production was far higher than west...but in every year after..end of 1942,1943,1944 and 1945 ,west..or better say US..production outperformed whole powers of axis and if you look when Germany started to loose...it is when its production crumble...This is simplified,there are other factors ....

Well I am not sure they are surprised,I am not surprised to be said...enemies .. they have resources ...For more than 15 years I am saying that Iran capability is far more than we see...When I want to know more about some country capability to produce something...I look in to industry...human resources...and than compare it to what we see...Iran civilian industry ,tech development,education,science..everything is there for years. There is already industry,large scale production...car production,trucks,machinery...avio industry is much larger than many think..Iran is maintaining 4th largest helicopter fleet..5th worlds largest aircraft fleet(civilian and military combined)...ship building is big...That is what you need to look,that is what wins wars...wars are won by industry..it is not important how advanced your weapon is..it is important how many you can bring and at what price..One German Tiger was so powerful that it could knock out whole T/34 or Sherman batalion..one tank..in some cases they were limited only by amunition..But it was complex,expencive...not produced in high numbers..German MG 34 was amazing ,but UK produced 8 Sterns for every MG34..Germans tryed to fix this with mg 42...there is a lot of more but bottom line is,if you look production numbers in first 2 years of WWII ,you will see German production was far higher than west...but in every year after..end of 1942,1943,1944 and 1945 ,west..or better say US..production outperformed whole powers of axis and if you look when Germany started to loose...it is when its production crumble...This is simplified,there are other factors ....

I know full well that Iran is way ahead of their public announcement process. I can't wait to see any future surprises they will give us about fighter jets.

+ many Ukhonto engineers are retired now and many lost theyr job, its possible Iran could recruit some of them for good cash

" Many people have left Denel over the non-payment of salaries last year – a matter that went to court and is awaiting judgement by the Labour Court. Denel Dynamics, for example, has lost almost all its engineers, many of whom have gone to work for companies in the Middle East. "

I didnt say this new Iranian AD system has something to do with them, but I also read the story Iran was interested in the Umkhonto SAM missile:

Majority of those went to company in the UAE called Halcon for a huge salary and stole IP on their way out, we shall see if the Emirati locals can absorb the expertise from the South Africans in the next 10 years.

Not to detract from the conversation but many Denel Dynamics engineers went to the UAE and are working there developing missiles. I would assume it's in the 100-200 employees range but that's just my guesstimate and it could be completely wrong.

Dezful seems pretty nice but wouldnt a more modern radar be better?
Radar is not model..it doesnt go to fashion week in Milano..for god sake...more modern radar..what that even mean..Tor is best you can get in short range class...Russians deployed it in Syria after Pantsir show too many flaws...Tor crews could catch even bird,plastic drones..and engage it..it is Shorad...it will be last defense..it will engage at few km range...it has Kasta 2E included as search radar and it has also own acquisition radar...So,it is very mobile,accurate..can detect and lock on on the move while it stop only half second to lunch missile..what is modern?...large static missile system like Israel deploy that can only survive Palestinian rocks..Tor is unique and modern system,development started long time ago but it is modernized every while..I would always preffer it over Pantsir...Pantsir showed flawed which prompted Russians to request new version for its troops,Syrian AD now use BUK more extensive and they are more succesfull....I heard that in some cases Pantsir was used only at extremly short range where it can use gun...it wasnt good as Tor when it comes to very small targets at low attlitude

Radar is not model..it doesnt go to fashion week in Milano..for god sake...more modern radar..what that even mean..Tor is best you can get in short range class...Russians deployed it in Syria after Pantsir show too many flaws...Tor crews could catch even bird,plastic drones..and engage it..it is Shorad...it will be last defense..it will engage at few km range...it has Kasta 2E included as search radar and it has also own acquisition radar...So,it is very mobile,accurate..can detect and lock on on the move while it stop only half second to lunch missile..what is modern?...large static missile system like Israel deploy that can only survive Palestinian rocks..Tor is unique and modern system,development started long time ago but it is modernized every while..I would always preffer it over Pantsir...Pantsir showed flawed which prompted Russians to request new version for its troops,Syrian AD now use BUK more extensive and they are more succesfull....I heard that in some cases Pantsir was used only at extremly short range where it can use gun...it wasnt good as Tor when it comes to very small targets at low attlitude
I mean a newer radar like the one seen in the newer versions of TOR such as M2E.

Back
Top Bottom